Divine Mercy Sunday

I feel so inept. I made a statement to my Faith Formation Class that after all is said and done, the Sunday after Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday, may be the most sacred day in our Church, our belief. The mercy my Lord wants to give to us,….but wow,…….I felt that I was a blasphemous teacher.

Help please…… :o

Inept is not blasphemous. You made an error in good faith. At the next class, you can bring it up again as an example of how enthusiasm for something can make people get carried away and give it too much emphasis. It could be an interesting class discussion.

I wouldn’t sweat it. especially if it wasn’t intentional. Blasphemy is defamation of the name or character of God, which you didn’t do.

I just wouldn’t use the adjective “sacred.” Maybe blessed or joyous or personal. Divine Mercy brings the triumph and joy of Easter to the individual. Easter is the ultimate celebration of the Church, but DMS brings it home to me (and you, and each individual).

It might also be true to say that it’s the most important (or even sacred) to you. As long as you don’t try to speak in generalities (i.e. for the Church), I think you’d be fine. As baltobetsy says, it could be a good class discussion.

Its ok, you only missed by 7 days :slight_smile:

Correct it in the next class (and any additional persons privately who are not there)

it will be a great opportunity to show that we can all error and the highlight the importance of the Paschal Mystery…as well as to talk about the difference between private revelation to which we can only give human belief …and Divine Revelation that we give Divine Faith to…and how the Mercy of God in the Paschal Mystery and highlighted by the Church on that Feast of Divine Mercy in the Easter Octive (outside the PR) is part of Divine Rev. but that given to St. Faustina is PR (which is good of course! but which per se is very different …see the CCC 67…)

And:

"1. The authority of private revelations is essentially different from that of the definitive public Revelation. The latter demands faith; in it in fact God himself speaks to us through human words and the mediation of the living community of the Church. Faith in God and in his word is different from any other human faith, trust or opinion. The certainty that it is God who is speaking gives me the assurance that I am in touch with truth itself. It gives me a certitude which is beyond verification by any human way of knowing. It is the certitude upon which I build my life and to which I entrust myself in dying.

1. Private revelation is a help to this faith, and shows its credibility precisely by leading me back to the definitive public Revelation. In this regard, Cardinal Prospero Lambertini, the future Pope Benedict XIV, says in his classic treatise, which later became normative for beatifications and canonizations: “An assent of Catholic faith is not due to revelations approved in this way; it is not even possible. These revelations seek rather an assent of human faith in keeping with the requirements of prudence, which puts them before us as probable and credible to piety”. The Flemish theologian E. Dhanis, an eminent scholar in this field, states succinctly that ecclesiastical approval of a private revelation has three elements: the message contains nothing contrary to faith or morals; it is lawful to make it public; and the faithful are authorized to accept it with prudence (E. Dhanis,Sguardo su Fatima e bilancio di una discussione, in La Civiltà Cattolica 104 [1953], II, 392-406, in particular 397). Such a message can be a genuine help in understanding the Gospel and living it better at a particular moment in time; therefore it should not be disregarded. It is a help which is offered, but which one is not obliged to use."

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html…skip down to the Theological commentary …for there is more…)

Thank you every one. Correction will be made as things will have it on Divine Mercy Sunday as we are off Palm Sunday and Easter due to parking. Private revelations and our understanding are so fundamental to our faith, I pray that I can teach what I have been taught, as the old adage states,……teaching, teacheth the teacher. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.