divine mercy

If someone such as myself does feel like going to mass and not taking the sacrament or going to confession for not feeling contrite better off praying the divine mercy chaplet? Maybe the rosary? Your not supposed to take the sacrement with sin on your conscious. Maybe I need to increase my prayer life.

Bill

You have a very poor understanding of the Mass & your Catholic Faith.

*“Every Holy Mass, heard with devotion, produces in our souls marvelous effects, abundant spiritual and material graces which we, ourselves, do not know…It is easier for the earth to exist without the sun than without the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass!” *Padre Pio

Do a little research & try to find out what the Mass really is. It is quite mind-blowing, beyond your wildest dreams & imaginings.

As a Catholic, unless you are sick, there is a real emergency, you cannot possibly go because you have to work, or are a senior (I believe that means 65 or older) you are obligated to go to Mass every Sunday (or Saturday evening if you go to the Sunday Vigil Mass.) It is of grave matter not to attend for any except the afore mentioned reasons. Now that you know this you will be committing a mortal sin if you choose to skip Sunday Mass again.

Also, the Mass is the most important and powerful form of prayer. Go and try to participate and it could change your life.

Remember that you are not obliged to recieve Holy Communion every time you are at Mass. But you are obliged to go to Mass every Sunday unless you are sick, unable to get there, or otherwise incapacitated.

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. If you’re in mortal sin you can’t receive Communion. A Divine Mercy Chaplet or a Rosary or any other devotion/prayer does not replace a Sacrament…You need to go to Confession if you’re in a state of sin.

Those aged 65 or over most certainly are still obliged to attend Mass–they are not relieved of that obligation because of age alone. I don’t know where this idea comes from, but this is not the first time someone has stated this on the forums. Illness and infirmity are legitimate excuses for not attending Mass, age is not.

We certainly don’t see the Pope lying in bed on Sunday mornings :smiley:

I understand you can’t take the sacrament if in mortal sin. If you are not contrite enough IMO anyway maybe not the priests though, you’re not forgiven. Ever since I started praying the miraculous medal and felt like I could withstand any lust of any kind things have just went down hill. Is it good to go to the mass if you don’t receive the host? I missed vigil and confession tonight so I have to go to mass tomorrow.The thing is I don’t have a car or a way around unless my sister lets me borrow hers and if I’m out somewhere else I’m obligated.

Bill

Yes, even if you can’t/don’t receive Communion, you’re obliged to go to Mass. It’s a precept of the Church. However, like in your situation, if you really don’t have a reasonable way to get there it’s not your fault and you won’t be guilty of any sin.

So work is a valid reason to not show up at mass on sunday or the vigil? If one would have to work those two days?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.