Divine Nature of Christ - Was It Invented or Innate?

I feel distressed about something I’ve read recently and I just want assurance because I don’t want to deny the divine nature of Christ.

I was reading something about globalization and how this phenomenon has its origins in religions where missionaries and spreading of faith is encouraged (Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam) and cites the reasons for how these religions are inclusive. For Christianity, the author cites ancient Greek philosophy coupled with the tenants of the Jewish faith as the reason for Christianity’s inclusivity. All well and good so far - until I saw a short sentence fragment in parenthesis saying that it is also the reason for the “deification of Christ”. This was the part which disturbed me. It suggests Jesus was made into a deity rather than being a deity Himself.

I know that Christ Himself was not “deified” by the apostles and the early Church Fathers since He is God Himself - the Word made Flesh - what being both of divine and human nature. I already have the knowledge of Plato’s allegory of the cave and how that notion parallels, if not fits, with Christ saying that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. That’s why many Church Fathers cite and use Plato as a vehicle to explain Christ as the Eternal Truth.

Where can I find mentions or cases from the time of the Biblical prophets (Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, etc.) - or anywhere before Jesus’ birth - which points towards the coming Messiah as being both God and man?

I don’t want to delve into Wikipedia to find the answer because it is unreliable and I might unexpectedly encounter some counter-arguments. Any help in answering this question and providing an apologetic would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called … Mighty God … of the increase of his government (Isaiah 9:6-7).

The OT foreshadows the idea of messiah as God-man but the New Testament is where it explodes in truth, and the idea is on the lips of Jesus, many times. The classic phrase is that the NT is hidden in the OT, and the OT foreshadows the NT.

We know Jesus is God not because the OT explicitly proves it, rather because he says it implicitly and explicitly, many times, in the Gospels. He then proved it by his resurrection from the dead, his post-resurrection appearances, and by sending the Holy Spirit, which made Christianity conquer the world. He proves it every day by transforming lives and leading people, for 2000 years, to happiness and freedom.

Daniel 7:14 “His power is an everlasting power that shall not be taken away: and his kingdom that shall not be destroyed.”

And because His resurrection is such a powerful force that people are compelled to preach about His divinity and believe in it.

Of course allusions to the Godhead coming himself as the Messiah is peppered all through the OT, but one of the more obvious texts is in Ezekiel 34.

But your original question is not as simple as it seems at first. The reason is that the Israelites knew that GOD was sublime and beyond all human imaginings. That is why they were forbidden to make images of Him or even speak His Name, for the degradation it would necessarily entail.

So HOW God would fulfill these OT prophecies was a matter of much conjecture.

At the time Our Lord is Incarnate, the Jews had no concept of the Trinity of Persons in the Godhead, since this was a Divine Revelation to us from Jesus Christ Himself.

So looking back, as believers, we CAN see all of the OT allusions clearly. But it was far from apparent to the Jews.

Only the eyes of Faith can recognize the Divinity of Jesus Christ. If it was obvious and beyond question, everyone would be a Christian.

I should have thought about my question about the prophets. I reminded myself just now that those mentions or cases are foreshadowings and not confirmations. My bad… :o

When you see the foreshadowing of Christ in the OT, you know that when those foreshadows are fullfilled in the NT, the NT is greater.

Example, the manna in the desert was heavenly bread, miraculous, and in the NT we have something greater, which is the body and blood of the Lord.

To the divinity of Jesus. Remember the scene of Moses coming down the mountain with the tablets written by the finger of God. His face was glowing with the glory of God from being in his presence. (So much so that the people asked that he cover his face) How can the NT beat that? Very easily, as Jesus, the word of God made flesh, came from heaven and was the Son of God. He hid the glory of God too by his human nature. Moses was just a type of Christ who was to come and Moses was pretty awesome.

Peace and all Good!

I can understand you not wanting to rely on Wikipedia. Though it can be reliable, it’s not always a safe bet!

Isaiah 7: 10-15 says: And the Lord spoke again to Achaz, saying: Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God either unto the depth of hell, or unto the height above. And Achaz said: I will not ask, and I will not tempt the Lord. And he said: Hear ye therefore, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to be grievous to men, that you are grievous to my God also? Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel. He shall eat butter and honey, that he may know to refuse the evil, and to choose the good.

Verse 14 is quoted in The Gospel of Saint Matthew Chapter 1:22-23: Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: [v23]: Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.