Divine Office Invitatory Psalm, which one?

I'm just getting started praying the Divine Office and I have a question about choosing which Invitatory Psalm to choose. For instance, today, Jan 2, 2010, Universalis used Psalm 24. I didn't see in the St. Joseph Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours where it specified to use this psalm.

If it's my choice which psalm to use are there any guidelines to follow?

Thanks,
-Bob

I believe that it’s always optional. However, if e.g. you pick Psalm 24, or Psalm 67, or Psalm 100 - sometimes that’s the Psalm used in the ordinary, and you are directed to use Psalm 95 at that point instead.

In general, I think that Psalm 95 can always be used for the invititory.

BTW - this is the worst possible time of the year to try to actually learn the Divine Office. Once we get into ordinary time, it will be easier.

Also, Universalis does not use a translation approved for use in the US.

Thanks for the quick reply. Knowing that this is a difficult time to learn the Divine Office will help to keep me from getting discouraged.

-Bob

There are four choices for the Invitatory Psalm: 95, 100, 67, and 24. You can use whichever one you prefer. In my case I’m a Benedictine Oblate and in the Rule St. Benedict says to use Psalm 67, so that’s the one I use. It makes me feel more connected to my Benedictine brothers and sisters.

:twocents:

Nothing cast in stone, but I like to use Psalm 24 during Advent and Christmas, Psalm 100 during Easter, and Psalm 95 during Ordinary Time and Lent. I rarely opt for Psalm 67 unless I am looking for a change.

Psalm 95 actually seems the most “Lenten” to me, but I use it during Ordinary Time as well since it is the default.

:twocents:
tee

I agree it’s such a tough time to learn. I’ve only been doing it since September or so, and the Christmas season has been tough.

To help divineoffice.org is a great site. It will also give you the page numbers for the Liturgy of the Hours or Christian Prayer versions. It does specify an Invitatory Psalm; however, as other people mentioned, you are free to choose which one to use. It even has the exact Psalms, Antiphons, etc. for each day. If you have access to a computer (or an Iphone, they have an App which is pretty cheap for the service they provide) it could prove really helpful. Or I suppose you could just write them down.

Good luck with your new devotion to the Divine Office, it has been very fruitful for me and I pray that God blesses your efforts as well!

Nope

You have a choice of 4 Psalms. I use Psalm 100 only, because I love the upbeat tone.:extrahappy:

Psalm 100 is improved if you are in an environment where you can loudly shout it out, :clapping:

Thanks Everyone for all the useful information and encouragement.

-Bob

In our group, we always use Psalm 95. :slight_smile:

Wow! I thought I was the only one who used Psalm 100 excusively.

OK, almost exclusively. Of course on Friday’s MP on Weeks I and III, I have to choose another, usually Psalm 67.

Best wishes on praying the LOTH!

[quote="tinalewis, post:10, topic:181687"]
Wow! I thought I was the only one who used Psalm 100 excusively.

OK, almost exclusively. Of course on Friday's MP on Weeks I and III, I have to choose another, usually Psalm 67.

Best wishes on praying the LOTH!

[/quote]

Or continue with Psalm 100 for the invitatory and substitute Psalm 95 for morning prayer. Otherwise you'll never use Psalm 95. :)

Actually, my prayer book even says this:

When psalm 100 is the invitatory psalm psalm 95 is used as the third psalm at Morning Prayer.

Am I the only person here who suspects that Psalm 100 is the Eucharistic Prayer II of the LotH, if you get me?

[quote="RobNY, post:12, topic:181687"]
Am I the only person here who suspects that Psalm 100 is the Eucharistic Prayer II of the LotH, if you get me?

[/quote]

I get you -- And I have known people who preferred it for that reason. :sad_yes:

tee

:blush:As a newcomer, I have to admit I am clueless about what you wrote.:blush:

Explaination, please?:ehh:

Personally, as a reaction to have too much personal choice in arrangement of liturgy in general in the contemporary west, I tend to use 95 exclusively. My only exception would be an issue of time-- I think it is better to be able to sing the invitatory psalm in common than to recite in common (liturgy should be sung), and think that’s a worthy reason to chose psalm 100. (I don’t want to sound like I’m being the liturgy police here… obviously anyone can chose any of the legitimate psalms, for any reason or no reason, and not run afoul of the Church’s rules.)

BVM-- Eucharistic Prayer II (EPII) is the nearly ubiquitous choice in the contemporary Church during the Mass. You are surely familiar with it. “Lord, you are holy indeed, the fountain of all holiness…”

EP II is widely chosen, sadly, because of how brief and simple it is. The traditional Roman Canon, Eucharistic Prayer I (“We ask you to accept and bless these gifts we offer you in sacrifice…”) is rarely said for this reason. That is surely a shame, because it is not only our special liturgical treasure, but it also has extremely rich religious allusions and symbolism. In many ways the same mentality that informs the near ubiquitous preference for EP II over EP I, may endorse substituting psalm 100 for psalm 95-- it’s quicker, easier and just gets things done so much quicker.

But I want to make clear, I’m not claiming that all of you do this.

-Rob

:hmmm:

[quote="RobNY, post:15, topic:181687"]
BVM-- Eucharistic Prayer II (EPII) is the nearly ubiquitous choice in the contemporary Church during the Mass. You are surely familiar with it. "Lord, you are holy indeed, the fountain of all holiness..."

EP II is widely chosen, sadly, because of how brief and simple it is. The traditional Roman Canon, Eucharistic Prayer I ("We ask you to accept and bless these gifts we offer you in sacrifice...") is rarely said for this reason. That is surely a shame, because it is not only our special liturgical treasure, but it also has extremely rich religious allusions and symbolism. In many ways the same mentality that informs the near ubiquitous preference for EP II over EP I, may endorse substituting psalm 100 for psalm 95-- it's quicker, easier and just gets things done so much quicker.

But I want to make clear, I'm not claiming that all of you do this.

-Rob

[/quote]

:hmmm: hmmmmmm

My local Church, St. Philomena, does congrgational MP before the 8 AM mass, and uses Psalm 95 always. I never paid much attention to whether EP I or EP II was used. I'll bring my MAGNIFICAT to the vigil mass tonight and check it out.:getholy:

But really, my choice of Psalm 100 all year is just that I like the general attitude of "whoopee":extrahappy:

[quote="BVM_1221, post:16, topic:181687"]
But really, my choice of Psalm 100 all year is just that I like the general attitude of "whoopee":extrahappy:

[/quote]

Absolutely. It is a good psalm.

The other good aspect of the options is that it can be... mortifying. Whatever one's preference is, if the community they pray with decides to do differently, one can always just offer it up. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.