Divine Office

Is there a parallel in the Eastern Church to the Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours of the Roman Catholic Church? If so, is there an on-line link to it?

Who do you think invented it? :wink:

Seriously, the Office has never been systematized to anything like the Western Breviary where the entire year was contained in one or two bound volumes.

It requires about 5 or 6 good sized books from a library of over 20 to recite each day’s office fully in the Byzantine tradition each day.

I have seen one book purporting to bind all this material into one huge tome. It’s the size of an unabridged dictionary. Hardly portable.

To give you a sample of the multitude of texts needed, go to

www.anastasis.org.uk

Of course there have been various compendia containing a little bit of everything, but not everything of anything. All of these have been subject to the decisions of their editors and compilers.

All ancient Christian practices have their origin in the East, of course! :smiley:

Seriously, the Office has never been systematized to anything like the Western Breviary where the entire year was contained in one or two bound volumes.

It requires about 5 or 6 good sized books from a library of over 20 to recite each day’s office fully in the Byzantine tradition each day.

I have seen one book purporting to bind all this material into one huge tome. It’s the size of an unabridged dictionary. Hardly portable.

I think it takes at least 4 volumes for the complete office.

To give you a sample of the multitude of texts needed, go to

www.anastasis.org.uk

Good link, thank you.

Of course there have been various compendia containing a little bit of everything, but not everything of anything. All of these have been subject to the decisions of their editors and compilers.

So matins, lauds, prime, tierce, sext, nones, vespers and compline but different Psalms, readings and prayers than the Divine Office?

The nature of the material used in both Eastern and Western forms of the Office is the same, of course.

And the principle is the same: the Bible arranged for public worship and prayer.

Obvoiusly, the particulars would differ.

There was a time (and not that long ago) when the Western Office was contained in just one book itself.

Here is a description of the daily cycle of the Divine Office in the Byzantine Rite, as used by the Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church:

metropolitancantorinstitute.org/liturgy/DailyCycle.html

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

LOL! I couldn’t help thinking of the dad in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” :slight_smile:

Wonderful stuff. Thank you all.

Try about 20+ for the “complete” office. In the Constantinopolitan tradition. But in reality this is often simplified, especially in parochial and home use.

I highly recommend Archimandrite Ephrem (Lash)'s Anastasis site referred to above. His explanations are very helpful.
A few other resources:
stirenaeus.net/liturgics.htm
orthodox.seasidehosting.st/
members.cox.net/theotokos/
pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/services.htm
orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/services_nopriest.aspx
ivanmoody.co.uk/orthodoxliturgylinks02.htm
goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts
oca.org/MDtexts.html

\
Quote:
Try about 20+ for the “complete” office. In the Constantinopolitan tradition. But in reality this is often simplified, especially in parochial and home use\

**I meant for any one individual hour.

Ieratikon
Horologion
Psalter (if read)
Seasonal book (Octoechos/Paraklitiki, Triodion, Pentecostarion)
Menaion

At least, these are what you need for Matins and Vespers.

For the Little Hours, you can generally get along with just the Horologion.**

\[members.cox.net/theotokos/](http://members.cox.net/theotokos/)

**Thanks, Diak!

This is an abbreviation of a BIG horologion (800+ pages) Fr. Brendan and I compiled for our own use, with votive offices and every saint’s Troparion and Kontakion we could get our hands on!**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.