Divine Office

I know that the Divine Office are the prayers which clergy and religious pray daily at certain times of the day.

But what does it consist of and at what times a day do they pray it and for how long?

The Liturgy of the Hours is prayed by religious throughout the day. Lay people generally pray Morning and Evening Prayer and perhaps Night Prayer: divineoffice.org/.

It consists of Psalms, anitphons, prayers and hymns. Each office takes about 15 minutes to pray depending on how many are participating and where and how it is being prayed (sung in Latin or recited in a vernacular language).

I do say the Morning and Evening part of it. Some of the Psalms have some strange sentences and i sometimes do find it hard to say the Divine Office but i do continue to say it.

My dh struggled a bit with the poetical language, as well. But, in time he’s gotten used to the pacing of the words and it comes easier to him now. I find that just reciting the words lets me forget myself and be lifted to God. I love doing Morning and Evening Prayer. :thumbsup:

Compline is my favorite

Trappists at Gethsemani:

youtube.com/watch?v=B4bRsXcaKKY

I try to say the office of readings/morning prayer together although I don’t manage every day. this takes about 30 minutes. the night prayer is short, maybe five to ten minutes. as some have said, it takes practice to get into the habit.

F/

I’m a lay person and I try to say as many of the prayers I can each day, usually the office of reading, morning, evening and night. The day prayers I usually pass up for the rosary. I wouldn’t say only priests or religious say the Divine Office. I know there are lots of lay people who do it.

Also here’s a really great website to check out: divineoffice.org/

If you want to have access to the Divine Office while on the go, I highly recommend downloading the free ibrevary app. There are both iphone and android versions.

The app includes the Office of Readings, Morning (Lauds), Daytime, Evening (Vespers) and night (Compline) prayers. It also has the missal and a collection of prayers.

One guarantee is that you will develop a wonderful familiarity and appreciation of the psalms.

As a Secular Order Discalced Carmelite, OCDS, I’m obligated under the OCDS Constitution, to say Morning and Evening Prayer. I often say mid-day prayer now that I’m retired.

It’s well worth learning.

You’ll see the connection to Mass the more you pray the Divine Office.

I was amazed at how many modern day hymns, are based on the Psalms from the LOTH’s.

Jim

iBreviary is fantastic.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.