Divine Office

So I’ve decided to start praying it from divineoffice.org.

1. What times are you supposed to pray them? Currently I’m trying for the Invitatory Psalm and Morning Prayer when I wake up, Daytime Prayer around noon, Evening Prayer after dinner, and Night Prayer before bed.
  2. Since I’m lay, do I read everything unless it explicitly mentions a priest?
  3. Here’s an age-old question I’ve gathered from past threads on this. Is it or is it not liturgical if a layperson prays it?

[quote="Razanir, post:1, topic:333235"]
So I've decided to start praying it from divineoffice.org.

1) What times are you supposed to pray them? Currently I'm trying for the Invitatory Psalm and Morning Prayer when I wake up, Daytime Prayer around noon, Evening Prayer after dinner, and Night Prayer before bed.
2) Since I'm lay, do I read everything unless it explicitly mentions a priest?
3) Here's an age-old question I've gathered from past threads on this. Is it or is it not liturgical if a layperson prays it?

[/quote]

Hello. :) I hope you find as much happiness praying the Liturgy of the Hours as I do. :)
I would recommend this website instead.

universalis.com/

The mid-morning prayer is said at 9, the noon is said at 12, the mid-afternoon at 3, the evening prayer at 6, and the night prayer at about 9. The Office of Readings can be said at any time between Lauds and Compline. The Invitatory Psalm is said at the first Office of the day. The first Office can either be Matins or Lauds.

Whether you are a layman or a cleric, you are praying with the entire Church. It is liturgical. You therefore, say everything. The only thing you do not say is during Compline, you do not say the penitential act if you are praying it by yourself. You just make an examination of conscience.

I pray the entire Liturgy of the Hours, including all the Daytime prayers. I find much happiness with it. Just think, you are praying with all the priests, deacons, monks, nuns, bishops, and even the Pope himself. :thumbsup:

I hope you find much happiness with it too. :blessyou:

[quote="Razanir, post:1, topic:333235"]
So I've decided to start praying it from divineoffice.org.

1) What times are you supposed to pray them? Currently I'm trying for the Invitatory Psalm and Morning Prayer when I wake up, Daytime Prayer around noon, Evening Prayer after dinner, and Night Prayer before bed.
2) Since I'm lay, do I read everything unless it explicitly mentions a priest?
3) Here's an age-old question I've gathered from past threads on this. Is it or is it not liturgical if a layperson prays it?

[/quote]

1)The times you are using are fine; there are no "written in stone" exact times. You can adjust these if you find it necessary. For example, I usually pray Evening Prayer before dinner; I find it easier to fit in then, than later.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, the Liturgy of the Hours is liturgical prayer when prayed by a layperson.

On the main page, to the right, one of the links is to the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours. I encourage you to read it; you don't have to do so all at once.

Divineoffice.org is the best place for this; universalis uses a different translation of the psalms. With divineoffice.org you are praying the same Liturgy of the Hours as is in the printed books.

Welcome to the Office!

Okay, I’ve heard conflicting information now. Do I or do I not read the Penetitional Act, excluding, of course, the absolution

[quote="Razanir, post:4, topic:333235"]
Okay, I've heard conflicting information now. Do I or do I not read the Penetitional Act, excluding, of course, the absolution

[/quote]

Yes, you do.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:3, topic:333235"]
1)The times you are using are fine; there are no "written in stone" exact times. You can adjust these if you find it necessary. For example, I usually pray Evening Prayer before dinner; I find it easier to fit in then, than later.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, the Liturgy of the Hours is liturgical prayer when prayed by a layperson.

On the main page, to the right, one of the links is to the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours. I encourage you to read it; you don't have to do so all at once.

Divineoffice.org is the best place for this; universalis uses a different translation of the psalms. With divineoffice.org you are praying the same Liturgy of the Hours as is in the printed books.

Welcome to the Office!

[/quote]

Divineoffice.org only contains one Daytime prayer. It does not contain all three. Plus, universalis.com uses the Second Vulgate edition, created in 1985. I believe most English editions haven't been changed to this addition, yet. At least that is what it says on the website.

Welcome to the other official liturgy of the Church!

Your enthusiasm sounds great. Just take care that you don’t burn out. Some people can keep a tight schedule and do all the office; others have a schedule that does not admit to regular times; and many are only able to say part of the Hours, and some may say it irregularly. Whatever you say will be a blessing to you.

[quote="otjm, post:7, topic:333235"]
Welcome to the other official liturgy of the Church!

Your enthusiasm sounds great. Just take care that you don't burn out. Some people can keep a tight schedule and do all the office; others have a schedule that does not admit to regular times; and many are only able to say part of the Hours, and some may say it irregularly. Whatever you say will be a blessing to you.

[/quote]

Yeah, I think I'll be one of those people with a loose schedule. A schedule that gives times in relation to other things, like waking up or going to bed. Also, I'm not worried about a schedule burning me out. I've actually found I'm more likely to stick with something if I force myself to follow a schedule.

The point is that it’s not the same as the authorized printed LoH. From the universalis website: “For copyright reasons we’re not allowed to use some of the official translations.” And while the divineoffice.org website only has midday prayer, the app (not free, one-time payment) does have all three. I would venture to say that most laypeople will not be praying all 3.

If you’re praying as a private devotion, it doesn’t matter which one you use. For those of us required to pray the LoH, or those who prefer to pray the official version, it does. So it’s up to each individual to see which suits them best.

Team,

I purchased the Collins Divine Office Volume 3 and I have to say that I am very humbled by its content (although slightly intimidated by the various routes through has to undertake) and try to follow the LOH Podcats from DivineOffice.org, which are slightly different.

Does anyone know of a suitable cover (leather or otherwise) for it? I want to preserve such holy content.

I also purchased a CTS Bible, which is safely ensconced in an accompanying leather cover.

You see, I am returning after 23 or so years to my faith; been attending mass with my 5-year-old for some weeks now.

And I am readying myself for confession. I listen to Pray as You Go every day…

regards,
H

Welcome home! I was outside the Church for 22 years myself; been back since '97.

Here’s a link that may help: General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours

Or if you prefer, you can download a PDF version:

General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours PDF

I’m not familiar with the 3-volume set you have (I have the 4-volume French version), I think yours is the UK version, but I think Volume one will contain the General Instruction. The PDF or web link will help until you get it. I bought my 4-volume set separately as well to spread the cost over several months.

I suggest reading the instructions carefully, more than once because there are some subtle nuances you may miss on the first pass (I’ve been praying the Office for over 10 years and still miss some nuances in the GI). Then feel free to ask us many questions here, we’ll do our best to answer.

Thank you for that, OraLabora.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a leather cover/case for my 'Divine Office Vol 3'? I note that there are cases available for the 'Liturgy of the Hours' series, but unsure if they would accommodate my text.

Thanks in advance,
H

[quote="bluetanso, post:12, topic:333235"]
Does anyone know where I can purchase a leather cover/case for my 'Divine Office Vol 3'?

[/quote]

I know CTS used to sell them. I don't know if they still do.

Now I'm wondering next best text that i could carry in my bag.

Shorter Christian Prayer
Morning&Evening Prayer
Christian Prayer Liturgy
Shorter Morning&Evening Prayer

Mmmm stumped. Next best content against Divine Office.

H

[quote="bluetanso, post:12, topic:333235"]
Thank you for that, OraLabora.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a leather cover/case for my 'Divine Office Vol 3'? I note that there are cases available for the 'Liturgy of the Hours' series, but unsure if they would accommodate my text.

Thanks in advance,
H

[/quote]

A CTS standard bible cover fits, or try this place: carmelite.org.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_REPOSITORY_ITEMS_108.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.