Divine Office

Hello,
In a few days I’ll be getting a traditional breviary from a priest I know. It’ll probably be from some time during the 40’s or 50’s. I’ve only ever recited the Compline, but what I’m wondering is what can I do to bring this breviary into conformity with 1962 rubrics:eek: ??I’d appreciate some suggestions about doing this and reciting the offices.
Thanks–

I had written this for someone else regarding the breviary.net site. It may not be too clear so feel free to ask for a clarification. And hopefully some of the forum members who are well versed will point out any errors I made.

OK, hopefully this will be clearer:

All antiphons are now “doubled”. If you are reciting in a group, the chanter (or whoemever you choose) will say the antiphon upto the asterisk “*” and then everyone continues.

No need to recite the prayer Sacrosancte, or the Pater/Ave/Credo. The antiphon of the BVM is now after Compline alone according to the season and has the same indulgences as Sacrosancte.

Omit the Commemorations of the Cross and the Suffrage of the BVM and All the saints at all times.

Omit all the preces in all hours except for the ferial preces at Lauds and Vespers. These are to be said on:
-Ember days of September
-Lauds on Saturday Ember days (except during the Octave of Pentecost)
-Wednesdays/Fridays of Advent and Lent (and Passiontide)

Proper conclusions for hymns are now not said for most of the minor hours

LAUDS AND VESPERS:
I Class feasts and Sundays are entitled to First Vespers.

Sundays: psalms and antiphons of Sunday (for I Vespers, of Saturday). The rest as laid down in the Ordinary. Where proper antiphons are given those should be used.
I Class feasts: Everything from the Common for I and II Vespers-again any elements given in the Proper should be used in preference to those form the Common. For Lauds again the same with the psalms of Sunday and festal antiphons

II Class feasts are the same except they don’t have I Vespers.

III Class feasts use the psalms and antiphons of the current weekday and everything else form the Proper/Common. Some like St. Lucy have Proper elements and these are used wherever indicated.

Ferias use the psalms of the weekday, and the rest from whichever season it is. Some ferias like Lent have Proper Collects but if not the collect of the preceding Sunday is taken/

PRIME:
-No fourth psalm when Lauds 2 is said.

• Use “Regi Saeculorum” as the capitulum always
  • the Lectio Brevis is always from the season and NOT form None of the feast anymore
    -The Proper Vesicle “Qui sedes…” is not used for commemorated feasts.
    -Athanasian Creed is only on the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity.
    -Sunday psalms (53, 118, 118) are used for Sundays and I Class; the rest take theirs from the current day

LITTLE HOURS:
II and III Class feasts-ferial psalms and antiphons and the rest from the Common/Proper
I Class- psalms of Sunday and antiphons of Lauds (2nd, 3rd, 4th)
Sunday and ferias- from the psalter and Ordinary if no Proper elements

COMPLINE:
Sundays and ferias- of the day
I and II Class- Sunday
III Class: ferias

MATINS:
Most Sundays now have 9 psalms and 3 lessons whereas before it was 9 lessons (except for that within the octave of Christmas which keeps 9 lessons). The way it is said now is:
-recite the 9 psalms of Sunday

• For the 3 lections USUALLY it goes like this
  • First lesson from the occurent scripture and its responsory
  • Second and third lesson combine and read the 3rd responsory
  • Sundays: Third lesson is the Gospel homily (lessons vii, viii, ix), followed by the Te Deum. On Sundays of Advent and Lent/Passiontide where the Te deum is not said, the IX responsory is said in its place.

For III Class feasts it is the same except that instead of the Gospel homily it is the legend of the saint. The legends are those provided as contracted lessons for lesson IX in the pre-1960 breviaries in case the feast is commemorated. If there is no contracted lesson read lessons iv, v, iv together. Then say the Te Deum.

For I and II Class feasts it is 9 psalms and 9 lessons and said as it was before i.e. 3 psalms, then 3 lessons, then the next set for the II nocturn and so on. The entire thing is taken from the Proper and where lacking, from the Common

For ferias it is the same: 9 psalms then the 3 lessons of the occurent Scripture or the Gospel homilies for ferias which have them.

There is no change in the way the Office pre and post 1960, is recited throughout the Octave of Christmas, The Triduum, All Souls, the Easter Octave and the Octave of Pentecost.

Depending on the breviary it may still have the old octaves. In 1955 it was directed that these all become feriae except for Easter, Christmas and Pentecost. At Matins you only read the occurent Scripture and everything else is from the psalter. From the 2nd to the 5th (barring feasts) the hymns are concluded with the Nativity doxology. From the days in what used to be the octave of Epiphany (7-12) everything outside the psalms and antiphons is as on the Epiphany and at Matins as mentioned above. The Comm. of Baptism on the 13th, (II Class in 1960 calendar) retains its Office as before. From the Ascension to the Vigil of Pentecost it is the same as for the Epiphany, with everything aside from the psalms and antiphons and 3 lessons taken from the Ascension.

You seem to know loads about the changes that happened up until the 60’s…thanks for all the info…but one more thing at the moment I only recite Compline does anyone have suggestions of what other office to begin, something as simple short etc…:thumbsup:

I think that 1962 wise- Prime is pretty simple because like Compline it is mostly invariable. And it balances it because it is morning prayer. The only thing is that it is not *that *short.
3 psalms given in the psalter are said-ignore any directions for the “fourth psalm” from Lauds.
For the antiphon for the psalm: all ferias, II Class and III Class feasts use the one given in the psalter. Some Sundays have a Proper antiphon so use that with psalms 117, 118, 118. For I Class feasts say psalms of Sunday replacing 117 with 53 and the antiphon is the first one used at Lauds.
Nothing else will change. Omit the preces and go straight to the Confession. The martyrology is optional.
When you come to the Lectio Brevis it is always from the season so, for example, throughout Lent you’ll be saying Quaerite Dominum. When you get to Passiontide it’ll be *Faciem meam * and in Eastertide it’ll be Si consurrexistis. Any intructions in your breviary to use or giving the same reading as at None are no longer applicable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.