Divinity of Christ in Scripture

Christ is Risen!

Does anyone have any scripture passages that support the Divinity of Christ? I can only think of one place right now, but I know there is more. Would anyone please be so kind as to list some scripture passages demonstrating that Christ is Divine?

Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum!

Check out this tract from Catholic Answers.

Some excerpts:

In John 8:58, when quizzed about how he has special knowledge of Abraham, Jesus replies, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am”—invoking and applying to himself the personal name of God—“I Am” (Ex. 3:14). His audience understood exactly what he was claiming about himself. “So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple” (John 8:59).

Also significant are passages that apply the title “the First and the Last” to Jesus. This is one of the Old Testament titles of Yahweh: “Thus says Yahweh, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, Yahweh of armies: ‘I am the First and I am the Last; besides me there is no god’” (Is. 44:6; cf. 41:4, 48:12).
This title is directly applied to Jesus three times in the book of Revelation: “When I saw him [Christ], I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand upon me, saying, ‘Fear not, I am the First and the Last’” (Rev. 1:17). “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘The words of the First and the Last, who died and came to life’” (Rev. 2:8). “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the beginning and the end” (Rev. 22:12–13).
This last quote is especially significant since it applies to Jesus the parallel title “the Alpha and the Omega,” which Revelation earlier applied to the Lord God: “‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty” (Rev. 1:8).

3 Likes

‘But he remained silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of God?” And Jesus said, “I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Father, and coming with the clouds of heaven.’ Mark 14-61-62

2 Likes

This is the ONE that I could think of. Thanks for providing me with more though!

2 Likes

OP, On my best day, I couldn’t do better than Dan and Brittany.
Shalom

3 Likes

Good quotes listed above. Here are a few more
http://www.defendingthebride.com/bb/bible/jesus/god/divine.html

1 Like

You really have to do some reading and study of Scripture on your own. It seems incongruous that you attach a Latin phrase at the end of your post yet you cannot think of any Scripture to support the Divinity of Christ. Did the Evangelists decide to write Gospels about a man who WASN’T divine? If you are really interested in finding answers to this question, do the heavy lifting yourself, read the Gospels and epistles, consult a solid Catholic study bible, and read the catechism. This is a blunt response but you’ll be better off and more spiritually enriched if you pour efforts into finding these answers yourself.

Here God is referring to Himself as the “first” (alpha) and the “last” (omega).

ISAIAH 41:4 Who has performed and done this calling the generations from the beginning?
I, the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am He.

ISAIAH 44:6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Here our Lord and Savior Jesus is referring to Himself as the “first” (alpha) and the “last” (omega).

REVELATION 22:12-13 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Great question.

There have been brutal battles over these concepts throughout history.

Maybe I’ll begin a twin thread asking about verses in Scripture that focus on the HUMAN nature that Jesus took upon Himself too.

God bless.

Cathoholic

PS Cowboy hat tip to Tim Staples on this illustration of the Divinity of Christ (It is on his old St. Joseph Communications audio on how to dialogue with a Jehovah’s Witness. Tim’s example is excellent. I take no credit.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.