Divinity of Christ in the Gospels

I have been studying the Divinity and deity of Christ and so far it seems that it is revealed in John’s and Paul’s writing. However, where can I see a clue of his Divinity on the gospel of Luke and Matthew? Can you cite any good articles or videos I can look to? Thanks!

Brant Pitre’s “The Case for Jesus” is a good resource that gives an answer to precisely the question you’ve asked!

3 Likes

Luke 1: 26-38

And for Theophany (since it’s after midnight):

Matt. 3: 13-17

Lk 17: 11-18
v18 - “Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?”

Peace!!!

I never looked at that verse in that way! Interesting!

On the other hand, when we look at vv15-16, we see that the Samaritan, “returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him.”

So, I think that shows that, while he “glorified God”, he only “thanked” Jesus. I’m not sure we can infer “divinity of Christ” from that passage, the way that it’s written…

3 Likes

I know I was just listening to a Word on Fire Show Podcast and Bishop Barron pointed out some general instances about Matthew that points to Jesus’ divinity, but I cant remember specifically which episode…sorry!.

I would suggest you look up the term “Son of Man”, which Matthew uses as a title for Jesus many many times.

Also, in Matthew, Jesus says “Whoever loves father or mother more than ME is not worthy of ME, and whoever loves son or daughter more than ME is not worthy of ME”

It might do well to contemplate that. No first century Jew would say that! They would say “whoever loves…more than GOD is not worthy of GOD”…or something like that. What he actually said would have been totally CRAZY!

I also read Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI and that is a really good source. He has a few pages dedicated to explaining the Matthew verse “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.” and how that sentence is a subversion of the Jewish Sabbath day, as only God can give you rest. So as early as this saying, Benedict contends that Jesus was equating himself with God, and that is why the Jewish leaders were out to get him.

There are probably plenty more, but give those a once over.

Peace

S

I understand, which is why i highlighted v18 which is Jesus speaking. I think this vs is much more telling than the previous vs as im sure the Samaritan may not have fully understood who this man was he was returning to and thanking.

Peace!!!

1 Like

Matthew 16
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare′a Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do men say that the Son of man is?”
14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli′jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
20 Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ.

Matthew 17
1 And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain apart.
2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light.
3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Eli′jah, talking with him.
4 And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is well that we are here; if you wish, I will make three booths here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Eli′jah.”
5 He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.”
6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces, and were filled with awe.
7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.”
8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.

Matthew 3
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfil all righteousness.” Then he consented.
16 And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him;
17 and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

1 Like

Bible Teaches Jesus is God

Bible verses that show Jesus is God, Divine

John

‘Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel (which means, God with us).’ Matt 1:23

2 Likes

Luke and Matthew are clear…

For Instance… In the beginning of Luke

11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to Zechariah, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

1 Like

From Matthew:

“13:18 Hear you therefore the parable of the sower.
13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, there cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart: this is he that received the seed by the way side.
13:20 And he that received the seed upon stony ground, is he that heareth the word, and immediately receiveth it with joy.
13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but is only for a time: and when there ariseth tribulation and persecution because of the word, he is presently scandalized.
13:22 And he that received the seed among thorns, is he that heareth the word, and the care of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choketh up the word, and he becometh fruitless.
13:23 But he that received the seed upon good ground, is he that heareth the word, and understandeth, and beareth fruit, and yieldeth the one an hundredfold, and another sixty, and another thirty.”

I’m sorry, but you’re not going to beat the site’s current record for “quickest ban”. You’ll no doubt be suspended, but unfortunately not as swiftly as you might have hoped.

I’m sorry that you have such a hatred for the Christianity which the King of the Universe gave to the world, fulfilling the Jewish religion while itself having no fulfillment except that which it will find in Heaven- this doesn’t excuse your condescension and otherwise rude remarks to people here.

May God bless you and bring you into His Holy Catholic Church some day.

4 Likes

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

4 Likes

Fully explain? No. Partially explain? Yes.

The Books of the Bible aren’t theological text books, they are stories about our salvation by God. You can’t find a detailed explanation about a lot of things in there, but there are hints, and it is the Church’s duty, instituted by Christ, to fill in the blanks as it were.

But, just for a taste, how about when Jesus said in Matthew 28 “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”? Is that not trinitarian enough for you?

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

The Trinity is evidenced all throughout the New Testament.

One must come to Recognize Each Person OF The Trinity!

The NT presents God the Father in several manners including generally w/“God”.

And JESUS Direct… within the Gospels and the balance of the NT

And God’s Holy Spirit…

These are the Three Divine Persons …

PS _ READ the New Testament !

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.