Division- A question from todays reading

Did anyone read today’s reading Luke 12:49-53?
“I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!..Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.”

I am curious what exactly this means. Anyone?

[quote=breathespirit]Did anyone read today’s reading Luke 12:49-53?
“I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!..Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.”

[/quote]

I believe what he is referencing is the persecution of Christians. when he talks of fathers handing over sons and vis versa, he means because one is a Christian, the other hands him over.

And more likely, it refers to things that “divide” Christians from the wordly-such as views on homosexuality and abortion. Christians are often called, for example, “uncompassionate” for their beliefs towards homosexuality. In this way, by following Christ, we divide ourselves from the rest of the world.

Hi Breathe__,

The second sentence is not the right one. It should read:

I must receive a baptism and I am in anguish till it be done.

To understand what Jesus means by his “baptism”, go to Mark, 10,38:

Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking for. Can you drink the cup that I must drink and be baptized with the baptism that I must receive?”

This is said in a context that refers to his passion. See Mark 10-32 and ff. as well.

Therefore Jesus is saying that he is anxious to get to his passion and resurrection. And therefore, when he speaks of a “fire” that he wants to light, he is talking of the fire that will will be lit on Calvary, to purify hearts and fill them with love.

The next sentence (the one you have quoted ) belongs to another (but related) subject. It refers to a theme Jesus mentions often, namely that following him will put us at odds with the rest of the world.

Verbum

[quote=breathespirit]Did anyone read today’s reading Luke 12:49-53?

[/quote]

A commentary in the Navarre Bible has the following regarding this passage. “In these words reported by St. Luke, Jesus Christ reveals his abounding desire to give his life for love of us. He calls his death a baptism, because from it he will arise victorious never to die again. Our Baptism is a submersion in Christ’s death, in which we die to sin and are reborn to the new life of grace: *‘we were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life’ Rm 6:4. *Through this new life, we Christians should become set on fire in the same way as Jesus set his disciples on fire.”

Regarding the verse about division it says, “God has come into the world with a message of peace…] and reconciliation …]. By resisting, through sin, the redeeming work of Christ, we become his opponents. Injustice and error lead to division and war. …] Our Lord is forewarning his disciples about the contention and division which will accompany the spread of the Gospel (cf. Lk 6:20-23; Mt 10:24).”

From Vatican II…“Insofar as men are sinners, the threat of war hangs over them and will so continue until the coming of Christ; but insofar as they can vanquish sin by coming together in charity, violence itself will be vanquished.” *Gaudium et spes, *78

[quote=banjo]A commentary in the Navarre Bible has the following regarding this passage. “In these words reported by St. Luke, Jesus Christ reveals his abounding desire to give his life for love of us. He calls his death a baptism, because from it he will arise victorious never to die again. Our Baptism is a submersion in Christ’s death, in which we die to sin and are reborn to the new life of grace: *‘we were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life’ Rm 6:4. *Through this new life, we Christians should become set on fire in the same way as Jesus set his disciples on fire.”

Regarding the verse about division it says, “God has come into the world with a message of peace…] and reconciliation …]. By resisting, through sin, the redeeming work of Christ, we become his opponents. Injustice and error lead to division and war. …] Our Lord is forewarning his disciples about the contention and division which will accompany the spread of the Gospel (cf. Lk 6:20-23; Mt 10:24).”

From Vatican II…“Insofar as men are sinners, the threat of war hangs over them and will so continue until the coming of Christ; but insofar as they can vanquish sin by coming together in charity, violence itself will be vanquished.” *Gaudium et spes, *78
[/quote]

Thank you- very helpful, how do you think that relates to division within ourselves and division between different denominations?

[quote=breathespirit]Thank you- very helpful, how do you think that relates to division within ourselves and division between different denominations?
[/quote]

I’m not sure if you are referring to the entire post or a particular part. If you would clarify I’d appreciate it.The difference is a broad answer or a specific one.

[quote=banjo]I’m not sure if you are referring to the entire post or a particular part. If you would clarify I’d appreciate it.The difference is a broad answer or a specific one.
[/quote]

Sorry, I was referring to the initial post including the bible passage on division. My question is how can we apply/relate that passage to division within ourselves and to the division of different Christian denominations?

I hope that clarifies!
Breathespirit :slight_smile:

[quote=breathespirit]Sorry, I was referring to the initial post including the bible passage on division. My question is how can we apply/relate that passage to division within ourselves and to the division of different Christian denominations?

I hope that clarifies!
Breathespirit :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I think I understand your question better now. As for division within ourselves, I think this passage marks the time of decision. Either we are for Christ or not, we cannot be neutral. There are a couple of cross references, Lk 2:34 “Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, ‘you see this child: he is destined for the fall and for the rising of many in Israel, destined to be a sign that is rejected.’” And in the OT, Micah 7:6 "For son insults father, daughter defies mother."
As for the divisions which exist in Christianity today I would have to say that human nature has been creating problems from the earliest days of the Church, viz. Acts chapter six, the complaint of the Hellenists that their widows were being neglected as compared to the Hebrew widows in the daily distribution (of food). Also, in response to your question, I would quote a part of my original post, “Injustice and error lead to division and war.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.