Divorce and Remarriage — What's the situation in your area?

Here in Germany, it appears as though receiving Communion after divorce and remarriage was a big issue. I say it "appears" because that's what the laity are complaining about, when they are featured in media. It also appears that a lot of those people who want the Church to "reform" and "get up to date" find themselves on the German Catholic Church's official news page on Facebook.

Reading the comments, almost everyone seems to want "reform" (a word I cannot stand!). Though it's probably useless, since most of the people on Facebook just come to rant and drag on and on and on, I posted a link to Jim Blackburn's blog post on "Receiving the Sacraments after Divorce and Remarriage", which explains the Church's stand on the matter. I quoted from the Catechism paragraph 1650, which seems to settle the matter definitively.

All of that got me wondering, is this a solely German issue or do you see similar demands where you live?

And one thing on the side: I can't stand the arrogance and presumption of some laity anymore. I don't mean this in any offensive way, but nevertheless. I have repeatedly stated on that page that the laity should not transgress both its competency and authority.

My proposal was that the laity recognise it has no authority on doctrinal matters. Instead, that authority has been given to the bishops. Along with that, they generally are a lot more competent and educated on the matters in question than lay people. I suggested the laity be aware of this, but shouldn't feel ignored. Rather, in the event of uncertainty on what Church doctrine and discipline is, lay people should enquire and seek to understand, instead of nagging and badgering. That just distracts people, causes division and takes away much-needed time and resources.

Any thoughts? :)

It is an issue here in the USA, but it is not by any means a major thing. There are certainly groups of people as well as loud individuals here who talk about it, but it is not something that you hear about very often unless you are around them. So it is widespread, but not particularly deep, you might say.

The Catholic Church's stubborn refusal to "get up to date" is one of the jewels that led me to it :)

These people have no understanding of the definition of doctrine or the purpose of the Church if they think it's something that can be reformatted like a spring makeover. Just let them be angry and pray for them to return. The more stubbornness the Church shows against cultural whims, the more people it will bring in. Even if the situation seems bleak in Germany, remember that you make up 1% of the world's population, and while some areas of the world may be struggling, other areas are becoming stronger. I have always had enormous admiration for orthodox W. Europeans... just don't let it get to your head. :p

I live in the US. I'd say most divorced and remarried Catholics either don't know or don't care about not being allowed to receive Communion.

In my experience, the hot button issues are more things like birth control, gay marriage, women priests, etc. That's what I hear people complaining about.

[quote="TK421, post:3, topic:331530"]
The Catholic Church's stubborn refusal to "get up to date" is one of the jewels that led me to it :)

[/quote]

AMEN! :) Same here. Exactly the same. And indeed, I am quite capable of laughing at the suggestion that Church teaching could ever change. Still, it's just the obstinate refusal to accept it that some people show that drives me mad. :whacky:

[quote="TK421, post:3, topic:331530"]
just don't let it get to your head. :p

[/quote]

Hard to do. Very hard. VERY.

[quote="nodito, post:4, topic:331530"]
I live in the US. I'd say most divorced and remarried Catholics either don't know or don't care about not being allowed to receive Communion.

In my experience, the hot button issues are more things like birth control, gay marriage, women priests, etc. That's what I hear people complaining about.

[/quote]

Marriage, female priests, etc. are top issues here too, though birth control isn't.

[quote="CutlerB, post:5, topic:331530"]
Marriage, female priests, etc. are top issues here too, though birth control isn't.

[/quote]

Interesting. People aren't all that upset that the Church prohibits contraception or they just use it anyway and don't make a big deal out of it?

[quote="nodito, post:4, topic:331530"]

[/quote]

Probably because they are confident that an annulment will be approved, and if no prior marriage existed, then logically, they are not in sin, before receiving the formality of an annulment. I went to an annulment adviser yesterday, she told me, an annulment has never been refused in our diocese under the current bishop (who has been here many years.)

Personally, i was terribly disappointed to hear this, because now i have no confidence in the tribunal's ability to guard me from Hell...

[quote="nodito, post:6, topic:331530"]
Interesting. People aren't all that upset that the Church prohibits contraception or they just use it anyway and don't make a big deal out of it?

[/quote]

They don't care, that's why. They just use it anyway. It's completely legal here and I do not remember the Church protesting it within my lifetime.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.