Divorce involving two non-Catholics

Let’s say that a non-Catholic couple gets divorced for reasons not involving violence. Neither the husband nor the wife were ever baptized Catholic. They had tied the knot in, say, a Las Vegas wedding chapel. Is it safe to say that the two are in a state of objective mortal sin? I know that the Roman Catholic Church would have considered the marriage valid, but…

Divorce is not the sin. The sin in marrying again.

Divorce yes can be a grave sin.

It can be permitted though in certain circumstances – say as a needed way to settle property etc but the union (if valid) continues. (Thus not really “divorcing” they know they are married)

As to the couple in question – we do not know their “state of soul (s)”

I don’t think it is “safe to say” anything of the sort without a lot more information.

Divorce certainly can be grave matter against the sixth commandment. But it can also be tolerated in some instances, as noted in the Catechism and (for Catholics) in canon law.

If they are not catholic, then the question is erroneous - catholisim does not apply to them, nor a catholic god, rituals or pronouncements - they will only be subjected to the normal laws of their country in respect of marriage.

Catholicism is something you enter into it does not govern, those of other religions or the secular

divorce is an offense against the divine law-- it is not merely an offense to God when Catholics divorce.

What if there was domestic violence in the marriage I brought up in this thread’s first post? Would civil divorce be a valid option? How about remarriage?

Violence may be a valid reason for a civil divorce. A civil divorce does not invalidate a marriage. Remarriage without a declaration of nullity would constitute adultery.

One may physically separate from such a situation. Divorce may follow if necessary to protect legal rights.

Valid marriage does not end with a separation or divorce. The bond remains, therefore, no one could not remarry in absence of a ruling regarding nullity.

What if circumstances surrounding the marriage and/or civil divorce qualify as grounds for annulment in the view of the Roman Catholic Church?

I’m not a Newtonian. Does gravity, therefore, not apply to me? :smiley:

Marriage enjoys the favor of the law in typical circumstances. So, until a tribunal has investigated and returned a decree of nullity (actually two tribunals as any decision must be examined by a court of second instance) then they are not free to contract a new marriage.

According to Catholic teaching either the marriage was valid when it was entered into, or it wasn’t. Nothing that happened after the marriage effects it’s validity, it had to have already been there.

You are confusing physics and religions, man did not invent
Physics, but all God’s and religions are man made , as will be any new ones
Catholicism is more cultural, than part of physicals laws
Gods are metaphorical and figurative, not literal, Catholicism can be confusing on this point

Apparently Catholicism CAN be confusing if that’s the message you took away. Trust me on this, catholicism teaches that God is more literally real than physics is. Marriage is what God made it to be, regardless of what man attempts to re-interpret it as being.

You are confusing physics and religions, man did not invent
Physics, but all God’s and religions are man made , as will be any new ones
Catholicism is more cultural, than part of physicals laws
Gods are metaphorical and figurative, not literal, Catholicism can be confusing on this point

Catholicism is quite clear on this point. It is you who can be confusing.

Is it your position that God is figurative, that He does not exist? Is Jesus also metaphorical? You claim you are a Catholic. Do you believe in God or not?

Hi,

I have been surrounded by Catholicism my whole life, I have friends who became priests and so my tradition and background is catholic, I was educated a catholic, completed catholic ‘sacraments’ was an alter boy - played for the church football team! does that make me catholic? I don’t know? How would I know? How does one tell? There is no membership card or divine declaration.

To me life is a journey and in that respect, I am still on it and in all honesty, find the concept of belief difficult at best and nebulous at worst. What is belief?, how is it manifested? and more importantly, how would i recognise it.

When you say ‘god’ I assume that you mean the god followed by muslim, jewish and catholic faiths - I have to be honest with you - I simply don’t know - I assume that there must be an explanation for life, the universe and everything - everyone does - it’s the basic human feeling of - ‘surely, there must be more’ - but maybe not.

I have not had an epiphany or a ‘calling’ to the church (like my brother as a priest) I tend to come back to the same viewpoint in my head. ‘I can kid the world, but not myself’ - I can tell everyone, I am a Catholic or a Jew or a muslim, but in my head I know that would just be pretence, no matter how much I ‘educated’ myself in a particular religion or ‘believed’ it - one can’t get out what is simply not there. One of the gospels mentions Thomas - and that is the only passage I have read that has any resonance with me as I was named after Thomas the apostle - I am a doubting thomas and even as I right that I think 'come on, how many thomas’s were there in bronze age palestine.

I have had no ‘calling’ to any religion - so how can I believe in god. I tend to think scientifically, there is no proof and without proof, all we have is faith, self-delusion, metaphor and figurative characters and stories. How can three major religions believe in the same god, but disagree on whether he had a son. At school I expressed a desire to study law as looking for certainty and as a teacher said to me - don’t look for certainty in law or religion, both require vagueness in which to have a profession

Simply put - I don’t know enough to know if I believe in god or not?

I am looking for answers but tend to sway to the scientific, truthful and verifiable. The dawkins quote Thomas is the patron saint of scientists is not lost on me

Please feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate forum to discuss issues that are different from the original post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.