Divorce & re-marriage

Does the Luthern Faith approve of divorce and
re-marriage?

Hi
Divorce is not a good thing except in a very rare sort of circumstances.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics
The West, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of Muhammad’sIslam and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi’sIslam is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peaceful.
GodAllahYHWH is All-Knowing; one should invariably give Claim and Reason on all important issues from one’s Revealed Book; one shouldn’t try putting one’s own words into God’s mouth.

I don’t know about Lutherns, but I have a baptist friend who has been divorced and remarried a bunch. The last time she got divorced, she claimed that the bible says that a man who does not work is not good, and that gave her reason to divorce her husband because he wouldn’t work a regular job. Granted, she married this guy after knowing him for a week because “God told her to”. I asked her if she misheard God, or if God had made a mistake. I also asked her how she justified divorce despite what Jesus says in the Gospels. She never answered any of those questions.

Interesting how you can use the bible to justify just about anything if you’re interpreting it any way you want.

Here is a link to LCMS.org: (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)
lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2128

Here is a link to WELS.org (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod)
wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?1518&cuTopic_topicID=35&cuItem_itemID=3966

I tried to find something regarding divorce on elca.org (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America). However I had no luck.

Hope this helps

I believe the ELCA, which tends to be liberal, is part ofthe United Church of Christ. I would be shocked to hear that they condemn divorce!

I found something on elca.org:

6. Where marriage failure and divorce occur among Christian people, the church should recognize its involvement in the failure and seek to lead all concerned to repentance and forgiveness. If it proves impossible or unwise in the light of Christian love and concern for the welfare of all involved to reconstitute the marriage, then the church should continue, insofar as possible, to minister to each person involved.

If the question of the remarriage of a divorced person arises, pastors and congregations of the Lutheran Church in America should make their decisions on the particular circumstances in each case, being guided by the following considerations:

a. While it is the Christian teaching that marriage is a lifelong, indissoluble union and that divorce and remarriage do violate God’s order, nevertheless, God in his love does accept the sinner and deals with him according to his need. The church has recognized that marriage may be a remedy for sin and has seen in such Bible passages as Matthew 5:32; 19:9; and I Corinthians 7:15 the possibility of remarriage, but it also knows that the final basis of decision is loving concern for man in his actual situation.

b. The divorced person seeking remarriage must recognize his responsibility in the breakup of the former marriage. He must give evidence of repentance and have made an effort to overcome his limitations and failures. He must have forgiven his partner in the former marriage, and he and his intended spouse must give assurance that he will fulfill his obligations to those involved in his former marriage.

c. The divorced person must give evidence of his Christian faith by his witness in the church and must have received adequate counsel and training in preparation for marriage. He must be prepared to undertake the full responsibilities of marriage in dependence upon God.

Source: elca.org/jle/print.asp?k=340

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.