Divorce/Remarriage Worse than Murder?

I am just wondering, is divorce worse then murder?

A murderer can repent and be forgiven and receive the sacrament, but a remarried person cant.

Also would David from Samuel 1 & 2 who had multiple wives, and commited adultery be welcome in heaven if his story played out today?

If you repent from remarriage, and stay remarried, where’s the repentance there?

Its not about being worse. But if you stay in the same sinful state, you aren’t really repenting and you are committing the same sin over again.

Right!, yet I dont think the Catholic Church ask’s remarried couples to separate?

I cant really see them asking a Husband to leave his wife and children from a second marriage. But is this the only path to forgivness for a remarried person?

She does ask them to live “as brother and sister” until such time as their marriage is normalized.

The Church will not ask the parents to turn their back on their responsibility towards the children, and other joint responsibility they may have, such as financial responsibilities towards a mortgage. But as SonCatcher said, they will be asked to live as brother and sister, meaning living in separate room, no sexual intimacy. They can seek to have their marriage normalized by seeking annulments from their previous marriage.

Repentance requires a change of heart. You can’t be forgiven for a murder unless you’re actually repentant of it. You can’t be forgiven for remarriage unless you’re actually repentant of it. But, how do handle a remarriage, if you do repent of it?

I’m not Catholic, so I don’t really know the Catholic position. If there are no children in a remarriage, a repentant person would seek annulment. Children complicate the picture.

I think divorce has a far more destructive than most people realize.

A man and a woman, in the vows they recite to each other, make a Sacramental oath to each other and to God (better for worse, richer or poorer, sickness and health, until death do we part.)

Priests don’t marry couples, couples marry one another through those spoken vows.

In Mark 10:11–12, Jesus says only, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Likewise, Luke 16:18 says, “Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.”

yes the remarried person can be forgiven in precisely the same way the murderer is forgiven, by repentance and conversion. No, someone who keeps murdering can’t be forgiven, nor can someone who obstinately remains in an invalid marriage without pursuing the means of repentence and remedying the situation. Same rules for everybody. I am sure there is a backstory here.

I’m more interested in inconsistencies and unusual
Circumstances. I don’t have an agenda. I know what Jesus said about marriage,
But then David is shown in a very good light in the eyes of God. If marrying another offended god why would god show favor on David. And I believe Luke compares Jesus story to davids in his gospel.

C.S. Lewis, from “Mere Christianity” —

I feel a strong desire to tell you — and I expect you feel a strong desire to tell me — which of these two errors is the worse. That is the devil getting at us. He always sends errors into the world in pairs — pairs of opposites. And he always encourages us to spend a lot of time thinking which is the worse. You see why, of course? He relies on your extra dislike of the one error to draw you gradually into the opposite one. But do not let us be fooled. We have to keep our eyes on the goal and go straight through between both errors. We have no other concern than that with either of them.

Originally written in response to the debate determining whether individualism and totalitarianism is worse, this is equally applicable, I think, in any situation where two sins are contrasted and measured.

Not that avoiding murder will lead you into marriage or vice versa, but that scrupulosity of either sin will lead you into a pride regarding the betterness of your own sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.