Divorce/remarriage

I am sooo confused. I have read the bible and see that divorce is a sin, but if you do divorce then you CANNOT remarry. Please, can anyone help me understand. I see divorce and remarriage more than I see people who keep their vows of until death do us part. I have been told that you can ask for forgiveness of divorcing so that allows you to remarry. I cannot find that anywhere in the bible.

Not everything the church believes is found in the Bible. Church tradition is as big or even bigger than the Bible when it comes to church doctrine.

Thank you for the response, but what you posted confuses me was well. Could you clarify what the church’s view is on divorce and remarriage?

This is the truth, and this is the Catholic Church’s teaching. One who divorces their spouse and marries another commits adultery.

Yes, sadly there are many Christians who ignore Christ’s teaching on marriage and think they can divorce and remarry without eternal consequence. And of course, there are many more who reject Christ’s teachings altogether and are living a secular life filled with sinful behavior.

Who told you this? Not anyone in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is clear: divorce and remarriage are a sin against the sixth commandment and place one outside the Church and unable to receive the Sacraments.

That is because it is not in the bible.

What about annulments? While searching on the web a site stated that they are happening more and more. I am just trying so hard to know right from wrong and then I look at society and see divorces and remarriages and I dont understand any of it.

A decree of nullity and a divorce are not the same thing.

I recommend you obtain the book Annulment: The Wedding That Was by Michael Smith Foster to really get a good understanding of the Church’s teaching on marriage and nullity.

Well, you are likely to get a lot of **incorrect **information on a public forum like this, especially on the topic of decrees of nullity.

I really recommend the book above, you can try to get it on inter-library loan if you cannot buy it.

In catholic teachings there are basically 2 time one can “remarry” 1) death of the spouse, 2) a divorce of a natural marriage through a split in christain conversion (rare). Basically using the words divorce and remarriage will cause problems in catholic teachings

I see divorce and remarriage more than I see people who keep their vows of until death do us part. I have been told that you can ask for forgiveness of divorcing so that allows you to remarry. I cannot find that anywhere in the bible.

It is not defined as divorce/remarriage lets look :
Mark 10
2 1 The Pharisees approached and asked, “Is it lawful for a husband to divorce his wife?” They were testing him. 3 He said to them in reply, “What did Moses command you?” 4
They replied, “Moses permitted him to write a bill of divorce and dismiss her.” 5 But Jesus told them, “Because of the hardness of your hearts he wrote you this commandment. 6 But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female. 7 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother (and be joined to his wife), 8 and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate.” 10 In the house the disciples again questioned him about this. 11 He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; 12 and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Matthew 19
3 Some Pharisees approached him, and tested him, 4 saying, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause whatever?” 4 5 He said in reply, “Have you not read that from the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female’ 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, no human being must separate.” 7 6 They said to him, “Then why did Moses command that the man give the woman a bill of divorce and dismiss (her)?” 8 He said to them, “Because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 I say to you, 7 whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) and marries another commits adultery.” 10 [His] disciples said to him, “If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”

–USCCB NAB Bible *

So the catholic version involves this “one flesh” which is key to marriage. If the two had a wedding but did not achieve one flesh they are not actually married and thus can apply for annulment

More and more people are turning back to “hard hearts” and thus weddings are for other reasons than two uniting to a single flesh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.