Divorce Statistics Indicate Catholic Couples Are Less Likely to Break Up

From the National Catholic Register.

ncregister.com/daily-news/divorce-statistics-indicate-catholic-couples-are-less-likely-to-break-up/

Peace,
Ed

I’m glad to see there’s a small, but measurable, difference on breakups. :thumbsup: Naturally, we need to keep on, which is what I know the Church is trying its best to do in these extraordinarily difficult time.

I’ll say a prayer for married people and for more people to join the fold.

Thanks for sharing!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :angel1:

A good article, but it left blatantly low hanging fruit sitting there on the branches. I almost have to wonder if the Georgetown researchers weren’t letting their biases show by NOT asking couples about their frequency of mass attendance, of confession and whether or not they use contraception.

Nearly any catholic who has a fair number of catholic friends and family will tell you that the mass attending catholics are far less likely to get divorced than the non. And those who receive the graces of Reconciliation several times a year do better yet. And those who never did use contraception have a nearly 0% divorce rate.

Wasted opportunity to highlight those facts. Makes one wonder if the researchers simply didn’t want to look there. Might upset the apple cart…

Manualman has some good observations. There is much omitted. Perhaps because of lack of data. I doubt if there are enough records available as to mass attendance, reception of the sacraments, or nonuse of contraceptives for a large enough study. When we were undergoing marriage preparation in the late 90’s, the priest told us that the Church would not marry anybody under age 21. I don’t know if that is still true. If so, that alone would, in my opinion, do a great deal to lower divorce rates. I believe we all have seen the unfortunate outcomes of many teen age marriages

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.