divorce

is it possible that a divorced man can marry again? (reason of his divorce is infidelity of the spouse)

Yes it is. You need to speak to your Pastor or a Priest serving on the Diocesan Tribunal about obtaining an annulment of your marriage. This is not, as so many people seem to think, a “Catholic divorce”. The annulment process examines whether or not a sacremental marriage ever existed. Having said that, I urge you to pray about your situation. Has every effort been made to keep the marriage together? Have you been to counseling with a good, solidly orthodox Catholic Priest (alone or with your spouse if they’re agreeable)? Does your spouse want to attempt a reconciliation? I also advise not making any rash or hasty decisions. You should allow a period of time to pass - say six months - so that the shock, hurt, sorrow and disappointment, maybe even hatred of your spouse are not driving your decision. Spend that time in prayer, looking at God and inwardly at yourself. Then act. I will pray for you.

Yes it is. You need to speak to your Pastor or a Priest serving on the Diocesan Tribunal about obtaining an annulment of your marriage. This is not, as so many people seem to think, a “Catholic divorce”. The annulment process examines whether or not a sacremental marriage ever existed. Having said that, I urge you to pray about your situation. Has every effort been made to keep the marriage together? Have you been to counseling with a good, solidly orthodox Catholic Priest (alone or with your spouse if they’re agreeable)? Does your spouse want to attempt a reconciliation? I also advise not making any rash or hasty decisions. You should allow a period of time to pass - say six months - so that the shock, hurt, sorrow and disappointment, maybe even hatred of your spouse are not driving your decision. Spend that time in prayer, looking at God and inwardly at yourself. Then act. I will pray for you.

I went through a nasty divorce nearly ten years before becoming catholic. About a year after I joined the church, I applied for an annulment. Not that I was planning on getting married again, but I just didn’t want it to be hanging over my head if I got into a future relationship. It also helped me put that part of my past behind me.

The process took about a year for me. Not everyone who I put down as a witness returned the questionaires they were sent. My mom did hers. NOt long after she got it, we were talking on the phone and she asked about it. She hadn’t seen much. I told her to just put down what she knew. And I know my ex responded. I’ve been told that you won’t be allowed to see what anyone else has written. I was really wanting to know what my ex had to say about it all. But it’s probably better that I don’t. He was very abusive.

Because not everyone returned their stuff, I was sent four forms to have people say how honest I am. Luckily I knew four people who I was comfortable asking for this. ONe being a priest. And a very good priest he is too.

Good luck.

[quote=cherelle]is it possible that a divorced man can marry again? (reason of his divorce is infidelity of the spouse)
[/quote]

Absolutely and he should remarry with the blessing of the church.

The annulment process was very healing for me. I began preparing for the annulment even before the divorce was final. My parents and friends that were my witnesses also found that it was healing. It was an opportunity to search my soul and come to peace regarding the divorce. I felt horribly guilty over the prospect of being divorced. I never thought I could or would divorce. Although I divorced due to the fact that my ex was abusive and unfaithful, it still did not change that deep down belief that I did not believe in divorce and the annulment process helped with those feelings.

It is true an annulment is not a catholic divorce. The annulment nullifies a marriage, stating that a valid marriage never existed. There are certian things that must be proven to be found null one example is that one or both of the people did not enter into the union freely.

Unlike another responder, I was able to view the responses. I was only able to view the responses with a representative of the tribunal and my deacon; also, they prohibit any coping of the materials and you only have a short window of time to view the materials and you can only do this once.

My annulment was final in less than 9 months. When you receive an annulment sometimes they give conditions such as you must do x,y or z before remarrying. Typically, it is to heal anything within you that could potentially hold you back from having the greatest possibility of success in a future marriage.

I believe it is easier to apply for annulment as soon as you can because you can more clearly recall the details of the relationship.

I hope this information helps.

CRN

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.