Divorced from unbaptized spouse, can I marry a Catholic?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me try to figure out what path I need to take.
I am Methodist and was married on a beach in Jamaica. However, my ex was baptized Mormon. So from what I understand the marriage is not considered sacramental. If that is the case what do I need to do in order to remarry in the catholic church? I have found the love of my life and have a child to him. I wish to convert to Catholicism and we both want to raise our children to be Catholic as well. So I was wondering if you could tell me what I need to do and how long the process could take. Thanks so much.

Your prior marriage is a natural marriage. A sacramental marriage can only be between two baptized persons. Since the Church does not recognize Mormon baptism as a valid baptism your marriage is a natural rather than sacramental marriage. While a sacramental marriage is indissoluble, a natural marriage can be dissolved for a just cause.

As we said, the Church does not recognize Mormon baptism as valid. That means that you can apply for a Petrine Privilege. It involves the circumstance where one of the parties in the marriage is unbaptized and the other is baptized. Either party wants to become Catholic or wants to marry a Catholic. This marriage can be dissolved, permitting the person to become Catholic or to marry a Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.