Divorced TWICE, third marriage blessed

I am just re-posting this to not hijack someone elses thread:

How did Tommy Mattola re-marry in St. Patricks?

Are the Church rules hard and fast, or do they bend if you give the Church $500,000?

It bother’s me the Church can require some folks stay celibate and never re-marry, or even apparently even if they remain celibate they can’t partake in communion with the rest of the parishoner’s.

Why can the rich like Tommy Mattola just buck up and beat the system so easily?

I’m Catholic but this bother’s me, it’s like two seperate Churches. One for the haves, and one for the have nots.

Why would Mattola’s wedding to Mariah Carry ever be invalid to get annuled? They were married for like 8 years or something.

Mattola was married before TWICE! he converted to Judaism also, but he’s free to marry in the nicest Cathedral in New York, possibly the United States. Isn’t this just making a mockery of the Catholic Church?

While others suffer terrible loneliness, Tommy Mattola apparently can marry at will as many times as he wants, all with the Churches blessing.

This disturbs me.

I then added this:

My aunt (God bless her she just passed away), had five kids with a man who beat her weekly, did heavy narcotics, and was a drunk and even did worse things (and was rumored to worship the devil if you believe that one, I was young when they split this is what I’ve heard). She was denied an annulment. I don’t know the specifics but I’m guessing that it was because they were married 18 years and had children. She never remarried, and lived the next 23 years of her life very lonely, then recently passed on.

Tommy Mattola gave up his faith and became Jewish, marries and divorces two different times, yet somehow he waltzes into St. Patrick’s Cathedral and recieves the Churches blessing for a third marriage.

I’m not indicting the Catholic Church as a whole, but whoever was involved in the blessing Mr. Mattolla’s THIRD marriage to me is wrong.

Does anyone else have issue with this? Or should I just shut my mouth and toe the line? :smiley:

[quote=Mike_D30]I am just re-posting this to not hijack someone elses thread:

How did Tommy Mattola re-marry in St. Patricks?

Are the Church rules hard and fast, or do they bend if you give the Church $500,000?

It bother’s me the Church can require some folks stay celibate and never re-marry, or even apparently even if they remain celibate they can’t partake in communion with the rest of the parishoner’s.

Why can the rich like Tommy Mattola just buck up and beat the system so easily?

I’m Catholic but this bother’s me, it’s like two seperate Churches. One for the haves, and one for the have nots.

Why would Mattola’s wedding to Mariah Carry ever be invalid to get annuled? They were married for like 8 years or something.

Mattola was married before TWICE! he converted to Judaism also, but he’s free to marry in the nicest Cathedral in New York, possibly the United States. Isn’t this just making a mockery of the Catholic Church?

While others suffer terrible loneliness, Tommy Mattola apparently can marry at will as many times as he wants, all with the Churches blessing.

This disturbs me.
[/quote]

You would have to supply the exact details of the first Marriages. Where, when, how, who, and by who?

In other words no one here on these boards has the needed specific information to even begin to judge his marriages, I would suspect including you.

As a Catholic or as a protestant marrying a Catholic in other than a Catholic Ceremony and assuming no other impediments, I could get married forty times and still get an annulment if none of the marriages were valid. Brother Rich is quite correct in stating there would be lots more to know before you could make the judgement you appear to be making. Grandpa Dick

Not enough details to appreciate the issue. If he was baptized a Catholic but he walked away from the faith with the other 2 marriages, I see “not following the church rules” even though he got married twice. It wouldn’t be too difficult to get marriages annulled. If he wasn’t baptized Catholic beforehand, then the church would recognize his 1st marriage and getting an annulment would be a lot more difficult. It really all depends of what the state of things were when he took his vows.

In your aunt’s case, it is important to look at the way the marriage was at her wedding day and was there anything then that predicted the later outcome.

My wife just received her annulment of her 1st marriage. We were able to reasonably show that he was gay at that time and didn’t enter the marriage openly.

I sympathize with your aunt. In the same sense though I believe the Church’s stance of “What God has joined together…let no man tear apart”. Two Catholics who can freely marry each other in the church and there is no obvious problems anywhere at that time, will obviously have a difficult time getting an annulment at a later time in case their marriage goes south. For better or worse.

This does sound like a grave injustice.
There should be accountability for these controversial decisions when others like this person’s aunt are denied. Did he just waltz in? Were his past marriages invalid? Who knows? How can you find out? Is that a public document (the decision to allow/not allow someone to marry)?

Chastity, properly seen, can be a blessing as well as a freedom and a virtue (Yes, I am single and know it can be a struggle too). Your aunt may have been much better off spiritually than you think.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.