DNA modification: can I claim the throne of England?

If I have my DNA modified to match that of the Royal Family, can I place myself in line for the throne?

Surely, this question should be addressed to the patent holder? :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure how you’d manage that, but I’m afraid succession to the British throne (if that’s the one you’re after) is determined by Act of Parliament. Still, have a word with Garter King of Arms. He may be able to advise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im looking forward to his favourable response

Catholics can’t ascrnd the British throne.

Tough break dude

7 Likes

We’re gonna change that too! :vatican_city: :uk:

7 Likes

Ah, but Im a Jacobite

2 Likes

Perhaps I should change my name from Maximian to YourMajesty so you can all get some practice when writing to me.

I think you would need to change it to PrivateSecretary before any of us would dare to write.

1 Like

The bigger question might be, why would you want to?

1 Like

No, because it’s not enough to be related to the royal family. You have to be:

• An heir of the body of the Electress Sophia of Hanover
  • Lawfully begotten
  • Protestant

You could be descended from any of the other dozen children of Sophia’s father, Frederick V, and it wouldn’t put you in the line of succession. You could be descended in an illegitimate line from somebody in the line of succession and that wouldn’t put you in the line of succession. And if you are a Catholic, you aren’t in the line of succession at all. There are almost certainly members of the British nobility who are genetically more closely related to the royal family than many people who are in the line of succession, e.g. because they are descendants of pre-Hanoverian royal families and/or illegitimate issue of Hanoverian and later royal families. William IV had many illegitimate children, and Edward VII probably had illegitimate children whom he never acknowledged.

1 Like

But surely if my dna changes, I am in effect an heir to the Electress Sophie?

A sense of altruistic duty calls me, old boy.

1 Like

The first thing I shall do is offer knighthoods to my liberal antagonists as an olive branch.

Notice the wording ‘heir of the body’ and ‘lawfully begotten’, neither of these would apply in this case. There is as it happens still a bloke running about who is the e the Jacobite heir but the vast majority of Brits would not know or care about him.

Also the Duke has made it plain on numerous occasions he has no interest whatsoever in pursuing the claim. He’s childless so when he passes on the title will pass to one of his extended family. The Duke is also, sadly, a concentration camp survivor as his family were prominently anti-Nazi and his family were sent to the camps.

You might be surprised. Im always running into members of the Stuart Society who aren’t joking about their sincere wish for a Jacobite restoration. After the present claimant, the claim will go to the Princes of Liechtenstein

Yeah, I really don’t think if I jog on down to Tesco or walk the streets or London and start asking people, ‘Do you know who Franz, Duke of Bavaria is?’ I’m going to get many people saying, ‘Why yes I do’ beyond history buffs or similar types. You may be always running into members of the Stuart society because we tend to associate with people who mirror our outlooks. The Jacobite cause has no practical meaning for modern Britons beyond being something they learn a bit about at school or, or late, forming the backdrop for '*Outlander’ episodes on streaming services.

I begin to see the error of my ways. DNA you say? Yep, I think that’d work.

1 Like

Arise, Sir Picky, Bt!

Well there you go. Not such an unknown concept after all.

Im not saying the man in the street knows exactly who is the claimant, but if you said “should there be a reexamination of the Jacobite claim in light of the performance of members of the House of Windsor?” You might get a more positive response than you thought

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.