Do all accept God is infinite goodness and beauty (in a literal, not hyperbole, sense)?

From a Catholic site: “When we say that God is infinite, we mean that He is unlimited in every kind of perfection or that every *conceivable perfection belongs to Him in the highest *conceivable way.”

*I presume this means ‘conceivable by God’ as infinity is, by definition, unable to be fully pictured by us.

This seems to imply that every single good thing (literally every good thing) is an aspect of God and is one of His many infinite attributes that has (again, literally) unending quality. An astounding thought! Beauty or goodness that is so beautiful and good that they are not just ‘above’ the best we know but never endingly so- more and more and more better…with no end to how much better they are!

Do all acknowledge God is infinite good? That every kind of perfection exists as part of His being, to a never ending degree of quality?
I’ve heard people despute whether we can be given ‘infinite joy’ as we are infinite creatures…also, that the usage of the term ‘infinite’ tends to be hyperbole (and usually is)…so, well, that’s why I’m asking…

Infinite is not a hyperbole as it pertains to God.

Whether or not all "accept’ or “believe” in the infinite perfection of God isn’t really relevant to whether or not it is true. Yes, the Church teaches us that God’s nature is infinite, and that he possesses every perfection.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P18.HTM

I would strongly encourage you to pick up a copy of Frank Sheed’s Theology for Beginners. I think it is right up your alley, particularly the questions you have been asking. It can give you the framework and structure for pondering such questions.

Since ‘infinite’ means ‘boundless’ and ‘conceivable’ means ‘capable of being imagined or grasped mentally’ (which suggest a boundary or limits) than certainly God’s infinite goodness and beauty is beyond our imagination and intellectual capacity, therefore humans are not qualified to pass judgments about it. In our experience everything is finite, everything ends. We can’t relate to ‘infinite’ that’s why discussing it is meaningless. We have no point of reference.

But there is a point of reference (NASA, for starters).

Good point. I would say that that phrase should refer to “conceivable by us,” but then shouldn’t be used as a description of God’s infinity, rather as a description of how we can meaningfully use finite language to describe that which we cannot fully conceive.

This seems to imply that every single good thing (literally every good thing) is an aspect of God and is one of His many infinite attributes that has (again, literally) unending quality. An astounding thought! Beauty or goodness that is so beautiful and good that they are not just ‘above’ the best we know but never endingly so- more and more and more better…with no end to how much better they are!

Do all acknowledge God is infinite good? That every kind of perfection exists as part of His being, to a never ending degree of quality?
I’ve heard people despute whether we can be given ‘infinite joy’ as we are infinite creatures…also, that the usage of the term ‘infinite’ tends to be hyperbole (and usually is)…so, well, that’s why I’m asking…

I don’t know what you mean by “all,” but I think anyone who didn’t hold this would not be an orthodox Christian.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.