Do all God's promise come true word for word?

Do all God’s promise come true “word for word”?

Yes, all of God’s promises are true. God does not lie.

“word for word”?

I don’t know what that means. YOU even put the phrase in quotation marks, suggesting that you don’t know what it means either.

Are you asking if the “promises” that we read in the Bible are literally assured according to our own particular interpretation of those words?

Because that’s a different question entirely.

Ever read the Book of Jonah? Fascinating tale. Jonah runs over land and sea and into the belly of a whale to avoid delivering God’s Word. When the whale spits him out, Jonah delivers the prophecy of destruction to Nineveh. But the Ninevites repent, God’s punishment is averted, and Jonah is really ticked.

He actually complains to God, ''Lord, isn’t this what I said would happen when I was in my own country before I ran away from You? I know that you are a gracious and merciful God, patient, compassionate and quick to forgive evil.’'

Jonah goes to rest. God causes a plant to grow that give Jonah shade. Jonah was glad for it. God sent a worm and the plant died. God sent a hot wind. Jonah became very hot and complained, ‘‘It is better for me to live than to die!’’ God said, '‘You mourn for a plant you did not labor to grow, that sprouted up in one night and disappeared the next. Shall I not spare Nineveh, a great city with over 120,000 people who don’t know left from right not to mention all the animals?’

From the beginning God has promised forgiveness. Even when the chosen people strayed, and they strayed incessantly, and they were punished, frequently by the consequences of their own actions, God stayed true to the promises He made with Abraham, the patriarchs and prophets. The promises were realized in Jesus Christ who did so much more than bring us forgiveness of sin.

Yes God keeps all His promises, His Word for His Word.:wink:

If God promises something, it will definitely come true, rest assured.

Another thing is if we misinterpret what He meant – but His promises always come true, as He meant them, without fault. :slight_smile:

Do you have a specific example?
God’s promises weren’t generally made with that level of specificity. For example His word says God will have mercy on His people.

Also keep in mind that He may not do things in the way You expect or want.

This post answers the question perfectly.

God’s promises always come true. Our understanding of his promises are often clouded by our own lack of understanding, worldview and agenda.

Thank you David.

-Tim-

Hi David,
I do understand that human misinterpretation of God’s promise can cloud the true meaning of God’s promise. But for the sake of the question let’s assume that God made a promise, and we understood it as what God really meant. In this case, will God’s promise come true as His every word by word, with no exceptions? That’s what I was asking.

Thanks

Do you have a specific example?

The use of the term “word” in your questions gives me pause. Words (and language) are of human invention. God’s promises are not bound by human words (language) or our understanding of human language.

I once had (and won) a dispute with AT&T over long distance charges. The heart of the dispute was the term “domestic long-distance.” I maintained (and prevailed) that this term “domestic” meant “within the United States.” AT&T claimed (but lost) the contention that the term applied to residential use, and excluded commercial use (I was using the line for commercial purposes). I was able to prevail in this case by establishing that AT&T had consistently differentiated between “domestic” service (within the USA) and “residential” service (non-commercial).

I was able to prevail in my case (before an arbiter) despite the fact that the first definition of the word “domestic” in most dictionaries is

Of or relating to the running of a home or to family relations

and the SECOND defintion is

Existing or occurring inside a particular country; not foreign or international.

Had the arbiter had only a dictionary, he would have probably ruled in favor of AT&T. However, I was able to present several examples of AT&T’s clear meaning of the second definition, and the arbiter thus ruled in my favor.

If I had no contrary examples, I would have probably lost. If AT&T had never used the term “domestic long distance” before extending this offer of discounted services to me, and I had used this offer for commercial purposes, I would have probably lost.

Do you see why I am reluctant to stipulate to the terms of your question when you insist on a “word by word” promise? Words mean different things to different people. But the promises of God are universal, and apply to all people at all times, in all places.

To this day, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what AT&T had really intended to offer in the way of discounts. I had two lines of service at the time - one residential and one commercial, but both used for domestic (within the USA) communication.

Am arbiter determined that, based on past usage, AT&T could not exclude commercial communication from their offer of “domestic discounts.”

Who is God’s arbiter?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.