Do all priests have to say mass?

Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a good friend who really wants to become a priest but he doesn't want to become a priest that stays with a parish and recites the mass every week but one who wants to go out into the world and help those communities who are suffering and are in need of Christs Light.

Your friend should explore one of the many missionary orders. The Franciscans, in particular comes to mind.

I think it's important to realize that the job of every priest is to offer the sacrifice of the Mass, and to forgive sins. These are their primary functions, which they are entrusted with at their ordination. This is the essence of the vocation of priesthood.

That being said, not every priest will be assigned at a church, and say Mass once a day, twice on Sundays. I believe your friends is speaking about missionaries, who go out and work for the conversion of other peoples. Missionary priests still say Mass, sometimes at the same location, sometimes at different places, depending on the circumstance.

Your friend should look at religious orders if he wants to do this. The two that come to mind for missionary activities for me are the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, who work primarily in Africa, Asia, and Latin America; and also the Glenmary Home Missioners, who are priests that serve the non-Catholic areas of the US. Many other orders have missionary activity, but these are two that come to mind.

Perhaps he could become a brother. Every Priest I know became a priest through a desire to celebrate the Eucharist.

[quote="acadiANNA, post:4, topic:350054"]
Perhaps he could become a brother. Every Priest I know became a priest through a desire to celebrate the Eucharist.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

This!

(Besides, it seems that what he's saying is that "I don't want to become a priest who only celebrates Mass" (as weird as that sounds). I would encourage him to talk to a young parish priest, and ask him if the extent of his day is 'only' celebrating Mass in the morning...) ;)

Can. 904 Remembering always that in the mystery of the eucharistic sacrifice the work of redemption is exercised continually, priests are to celebrate frequently; indeed, daily celebration is recommended earnestly since, even if the faithful cannot be present, it is the act of Christ and the Church in which priests fulfill their principal function.

your friend should talk to the vocations director at his diocese.

As others have said, this friend needs to speak to someone who can help him explore the various kinds of religious vocations and ministries as well as lay ministries.

If saying Mass is not high on his priority list it may be that the ordained priesthood is not his vocation.

[quote="1ke, post:7, topic:350054"]
your friend should talk to the vocations director at his diocese.

[/quote]

Agree.:thumbsup:

[quote="Just_Lurking, post:6, topic:350054"]
Can. 904 Remembering always that in the mystery of the eucharistic sacrifice the work of redemption is exercised continually, priests are to celebrate frequently; indeed, daily celebration is recommended earnestly since, even if the faithful cannot be present, it is the act of Christ and the Church in which priests fulfill their principal function.

[/quote]

the use of the word frequently sugests that it maynot be said everyday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.