Do Anglicans Believe in Intercession?

According to wikipedia the Church of England, being ‘reformed’ doesn’t believe in asking the Blessed Mother or saints for their intercession. However, according to the same page, ‘many Anglicans pray the Rosary, Angelus and other Marian prayers’. This is rather condratictory, isn’t it?

Anglicanism is a contrary thing.

But yes, many Anglicans will ask for intercession, particularly of the BVM. And my parish sings the Angelus after every Mass. Unless it’s time for the Regina Coeli.

GKC

I know the answer to this one. Yes Anglicans do believe in intercession. However, many Anglicans view the Rosary as meditational rather than devotional, so there is not really any contradiction.

I think that it really depends on what variety of Anglicanism you are discussing. While Anglo-Catholics and even some other Anglicans believe in intercessory prayer, there are plenty of low church evangelical or reformed Anglicans who do not. In my opinion, these latter folks are essentially liturgical Protestants who agree to use the bishopric form of church governance.

This link to the Society of Mary in the Church of England may be of interest. I’m involved in the Canadian branch.

The Roman Catholic Church excepts evolution when many Roman Catholics believe that God made everything as it is 6000 years ago. This is rather condratictory too isn’t it?

:rolleyes:

Absolutely. The thing to keep in mind about Anglicanism is that although it does have a Confession of Faith (the 39 Articles of Religion - which present a basically Calvinistic faith with some Lutheran overtones - compare it to the Calvinist Westminster Confession . . .) it is not a “Confessional Church” as are many other families of Churches So it is next to impossible to say about any particular issue, “Anglicans believe . . .” :shrug:

Even the Anglo-catholics (the “high church”) is divided between those who are oriented towards the still quite “Protestant” Anglicanism of the early Oxford Movement and the “Newmanites” who are basically Roman Catholics “in exile” and only ties of culture keep them from crossing the Tiber to others who have no interest in Rome, but seek recognition from the Patriarchate of Constantinople as “The Orthodox Church of the English.”

In general, most Anglo-Catholics believe in prayers to and intercessions by the Saints, but it is not something they really emphasize. The rest, the evangelicals (“low church,” which range from "neo-Puritans to quasi Presbyterians to quasi-Methodists with bishops and a prayer book,) the “broad church” (theological and social liberals which may be in either of the three main parties as far as worship habits go - a good example is TEC Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori) and those in between (the vast majority - which can lean in any direction) do not.

This all goes back to the Elizabethan Settlement - which can be summed up in Queen Elizabeth I’s statement: “Consciences must not be forced. Let all believe as they will, but submit to the rule of the bishops and worship using the Book of Common Prayer.”

Blessings.

The Articles are not properly seen as a Confession, and are not binding on anyone, save (in a technical sense) on ordinands of the Church of England, and (IIRC) one of the jurisdictions in Africa, since a couple of years ago. They are theology as statecraft, how Elizabeth I chose to govern her fractious Church. As an Erastian institution, such things are possibel in the CoE, and are not so ordered in the rest of Anglicanism. I know folks who affirm the Articles (and any Trinitarian Christian will affirm some) and others who cut them from the BCP and burn them to kindle the new fire at Easter. About the only thing I like in the 1979 book that TEC uses is the fact that the Articles are in a section for historical documents. So they are. Anglicanism generally is Creedal, not confessional, as stated.

On the general point of Anglicans being hard to characterize, I agree. Though I make a different point of disticntion with respect to High church and Anglo-Catholic. Can’t get Anglicans to agree on anything.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.