Do Anglicans venerate Saints?

I guess the title of this thread is self explanatory lol

Depends on which Anglicans and what you mean by “venerate.” Anglican calendars include saint celebrations and Anglican churches are frequently named after saints (though at least in the U.S., I note the popularity of churches named after Christ or the Incarnation or the Trinity). Only “Anglo-Catholics” would ask saints to pray for them or pay honor to images/pictures of saints. These practices appear to be forbidden in the 39 Articles, though some Anglo-Catholics get around the language by saying that they don’t “invoke” saints but merely ask for their intercession, and more of them simply ignore the Articles (again, at least in the U.S. the Articles aren’t regarded as being very authoritative, in my experience).

So the answer would be: a minority of Anglicans practice essentially the same forms of saint veneration as Catholics, while the majority would honor saints by celebrating their lives and praying for the grace to follow their example. Anglicans do pretty uniformly talk about and honor saints in ways that most Protestants find strange or uncomfortable, even if they don’t go “all the way.”:stuck_out_tongue:

Edwin

Perfect opening line.

GKC

In the Church of England, although there are Christ Churches and Holy Trinitys and Holy Redeemers and such, most churches are dedicated to and named for saints.

And all of these saints just happen to be Catholic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I believe St Mary and St Michael and St John the Baptist, as well as St Andrew and St Mark, for instance, have made it very clear they are not, say, Orthodox.

Anglicans venerate Saints but only alittle bit, unless it’s a high Anglican church.

in my middle of the road Episcopal Parish ( named after St. John) we believe in the Communion of Saints-I think few of us pary to a Saint for intervention with CHrist-

but we respect and honor the Saints-

yes we have a few Saints that are not in the RC roll call-Archbishop Cranmer and the Martyrs of Uganda for example-

it is what it is

Since there was no Orthodox Church at the time they lived I think it is safe to say that they were Catholic and I believe that it was the Catholic Church that canonized them, yes? I didn’t mean to make a big deal of this. I have always just found it a little strange that the Episcopal Church down the road is named “St. Patrick’s”. If they are to follow these saints as examples it just seems to me that they should follow the religion espoused by these saints. But that’s just me.

Good summary that a Lutheran could entirely agree with.

It depends, of course, on how you define “Catholic.” Anglicans claim to be in continuity with the historic Catholic Church. I have problems with that claim, which is why I have problems with remaining Anglicanism, but it is not something that is simply historically self-evident. One has to engage in theological analysis and make faith decisions to reach a conclusion as to what is and is not Catholic.

Ediwn

If you understand nothing else about Anglicans, understand that they claim to do just that. You don’t have to agree with the claim. But recognize that they make it.

Of course, a Northern Irish Baptist friend of mine claimed that St. Patrick was a “strong evangelllical”. . . . .

Yes anglicans and episcopalians venerate saints.
In fact I once belonged to an episcopal church named
All Saints!
There are not as many saints on the calendar as in the Catholic church and there might be some on the anglican calendar that aren’t in the catholic calendar. I grew up ub the episcopal church praying the apostle’s creed and the nicene creed and believing in the communion of saints.

Do any of you honor St. Thomas More? lol just kidding! :wink:

Very true.

:rotfl:

Yes, actually. The Church of England commemorates Thomas More and John Fisher, (Bishop of Rochester) on 6th July in its Kalendar.

WOW! :eek:

Wouldn’t that be like us giving Martin Luther a feast day? lol

Lutherans do celebrate the birth of Martin Luther and also honor the Augsburg Confession as commemorations [not quite holy days]. The feast of the Reformation is celebrated on the Eve of All Saints day. There are other Lutherans honored in the Church calendar.

So happy I don’t belong to a church that has a feast day for the Reformation! :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.