Do animals go to Heaven?

Do animals go to Heaven?

No.

Why?

Here: oldforum.catholic.org/discussion/messages/41/808516.html?1093533423 .

Thanks. I ask because my 12 year old dog’s health is failing, but now I understand.

Peace be with you,
FJ

They may, after they make a pit-stop at my barbeque grill.

Animals do not have immortal souls, but I think that it is entirely possible that God will provide animals in Heaven. So many psalms and scriptures use beautiful imagery of animals. . .the lion lying down with the lamb, etc. And the idea of a “new heaven and new earth”–things on earth the way they are supposed to be, not under the stain and shadow of sin as they are now.

I trust in God. He is all we will need or want, but His gifts to us in Heaven may include animals. . .who knows? Whatever He gives to us is for our best.

[quote=Tantum ergo]Animals do not have immortal souls, but I think that it is entirely possible that God will provide animals in Heaven. So many psalms and scriptures use beautiful imagery of animals. . .the lion lying down with the lamb, etc. And the idea of a “new heaven and new earth”–things on earth the way they are supposed to be, not under the stain and shadow of sin as they are now.

I trust in God. He is all we will need or want, but His gifts to us in Heaven may include animals. . .who knows? Whatever He gives to us is for our best.
[/quote]

I seriously hope that God provides animals in heaven. Hard to imagine eternity without a barbeque.

I seriously hope that God provides animals in heaven. Hard to imagine eternity without a barbeque.

Yes, it seems kind of unfair to imagine that HELL will be the only place to get barbeque. . .

[quote=Tantum ergo]Yes, it seems kind of unfair to imagine that HELL will be the only place to get barbeque. . .
[/quote]

Amen bruthah!

Scott, I am sure your Rusty will make it to heaven. :getholy: We’ll have to have someone to keep the cats away! (j/k… I really am not a cat hater, everyone I promise).

PS it is my own personal opinion that animals will be in heaven!

Yes, but only if they’ve accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Only kidding… I do believe they will be in heaven. If God hadn’t thought if it himself, surely by now St. Francis has talked Him into it?

[quote=carol marie]Yes, but only if they’ve accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Only kidding… I do believe they will be in heaven. If God hadn’t thought if it himself, surely by now St. Franciss has talked Him into it?
[/quote]

:rotfl: :smiley: Love it.

[quote=carol marie]Yes, but only if they’ve accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Only kidding… I do believe they will be in heaven. If God hadn’t thought if it himself, surely by now St. Francis has talked Him into it?
[/quote]

http://www.w3bdevil.com/forums/Funnay-Clippy.jpg

My dear departed mother told me, when I was 12 years old and grieving for my cat, that God provides a place for all he has created out of His boundless love.

Though that “place” may not be heaven as we understand it in our limited minds, I have found comfort from my mother’s words throughout life.

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid Fr. Auman’s pithy answer linked to by preyoflove fails to take into account many things.

Certain passages in Holy Scripture do more than just hint that animals are in heaven. Example:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. - Rev. 19:11

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. - Rev. 19:14

Plus, one must take into account the important role that animals have played in the scriptures:
[list]
*]Animals were created before God created man.
*]After the fall man was clothed in animal skins by God.
*]Prior to the coming of the Messiah, God required that man sacrifice animals as an atonment for sin.
*]Balaam’s donkey saw and recognized an angel sent by God.
*]The Lord opened the mouth of Balaam’s donkey and made her speak.
*]Jesus Christ was born in a stable used to shelter animals.
*]Jesus Christ was placed in a manger from which animals fed.
*]Jesus Christ rode into Jersalem on a donkey’s colt.
*]Jesus Christ is called the “Lamb of God” and the “Lion of Judah.”
[/list]This quote by Fr. Hardon trumps that of Fr. Auman’s:

“Pets, as pets, do not go to Heaven. But animals and such like beings may be said to be brought to Heaven because, after the Last Day, they can serve as part of the joys of Heaven. In other words, animals and such like creatures may be said to be brought to Heaven to serve as part of our Heavenly joys.” - Fr. John A. Hardon, SJ

From: catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Faith/may-june99/Q&A.html

To all those who “feel” that animals do not possess souls:

Pope John Paul II stated in a public audience in 1990 that

“…also the animals possess a soul and that men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren…”.

That’s all!

Where do animals go then when they die?

I hope so

[quote=Fieryjades]Thanks. I ask because my 12 year old dog’s health is failing, but now I understand.

Peace be with you,
FJ
[/quote]

Dear friend

:frowning: I am sorry about your dog. I always think it’s a shame faithful animal companions can’t live as long as we do. I believe God, loving His creation as He does, provides for their souls.

I also don’t believe it is right to be crass about animals and their deaths even if it is for food, I think they deserve respect and love as they are God’s creation too. Every meal is a sacrifice.

I’m saying a prayer to St Francis for your dog and for also for you

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.