Do animals go to Heaven?

I’m not sure if our pets travel from this life to the next, but I’m fairly certain there will be animals in Heaven. The lion shall lie down with the lamb, you know.:wink:

[quote=katholisch]To all those who “feel” that animals do not possess souls:

Pope John Paul II stated in a public audience in 1990 that

“…also the animals possess a soul and that men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren…”.

That’s all!
[/quote]

That’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing that quote from our beloved Holy Father. :wave:

Here is a Catholic link about the possibility of animals in Heaven:

americancatholic.org/Messenger/Jul2003/Feature2.asp

:tiphat:

That’s a great link Blanka, and it makes a lot of sense to me. I believe that animals will be in heaven. I also believe there are many things about animals we don’t yet know. If JPII says they have a soul that’s good enough for me. God is certainly the one to judge whether that soul makes them deserving of eternal life with the people they loved.

Dear friends

I used to work for an animal rescue centre. I have met literally thousands of animals and no two were the same. Each one was marked differently, each one had their own personality and each one had their own ways and temperament. What I am saying is that I believe God made animals unique in their limited function in life, in their animalness, they are unique.

Having spent many hours with animals with behavioural difficulties and working closely with them day in and day out, I came to the conclusion that they have souls. I used to be annoyed with my faith that treated animals as something we have dominion over and are nothing but souless masses of carbon and water.

When Pope John Paul II made the statement that caused quite a ruffle back in the late 80’s I was over-joyed that he too saw that animals have a soul, be it a soul that is not able to give faith and praise to God as the human soul can. Of course our souls are different to that of animals, but I do believe by their very existance they serve God as well as humanity. I began in my late teens to be very interested in St Francis and I love him for his recognition that animals praise God simply by fulfilling the full potential of their animal nature.

I do not believe that animals should be given rights equal to, above and beyond human life, but I do believe that animals should be treated with love and kindness.

I truly believe that our Triune God is deeply in love with all of His creation, especially with humanity. I believe that God will provide for all of His creation, that He breathes life into every being not to abandon it, but to live in union with it. I truly believe that God will make provision for animals/mammals/birds/…in effect all life that possesses a soul. God has gifted this entire world to us and I cannot believe that God would treat the world as we do.

In, by and through Christ Jesus all of creation is redeemed, not just humanity…God intends to create the new heavens and the new earth.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I think it was Father Benedict Groeschel who said that “Whatever is good and beautiful and brings you great joy on this earth will be with you in heaven.” My mom told us that when we had to put our dog to sleep. I think it is a beautiful quote and it really made us feel better about putting our dog to sleep.

Well said Springbreeze!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.