Do any Catholics over here bow before statues or images?

Do any Catholics over here bow before statues or images of Christ or the saints? If so, please explain what you** think** when you do that.

A person made a comment like - “… you Catholics bow down to dumb statues. You think God will bless you through dumb statues.”

So I questioned him as to how he knows as to what Catholics think! Does he have mind reading capabilities?

I would like to know what Catholics think.

i would bow down to images of Jesus, but my bowing is directed to Jesus, not the statue. the statue just reminds me who i am bowing down to

same as when i kiss my wife’s photo, the kiss is directed to my wife, not to the photopaper

I have knelt and prayed before many altars and shrines which were decorated with statues and artwork depicting Our Lord and many Saints of the Church. At no time did it ever even occur to me that the plaster (or stained glass, or mosaic, or paint) was itself divine in any way. I’m a mechanical engineer and a computer programmer. I don’t *really *think that a chunk of plaster is God.

And, really, I think this ancient form of idolatry is pretty much extinct today. Few religions would ever look at a chunk of plaster and think it was God.

But, when I enter a Church, and the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for adoration, I fully genuflect and pray, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). I could never believe that a chunk of plaster is God, but I could (and do) believe that (what appears to be) a piece of bread (or a bit of wine) is truly the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

People commonly have photos of family members in their homes, at work, and even carry them in their wallets. They treasure these photos simply because they love their family members. It is the same for images of saints as it is for such images of family members.

I never bow to statues or images. I may appear to be bowing or kneeling to a cross or statue but that’s only because I am praying to God or petitioning a saint.

Well, as I said on another thread, It’s always been curious to me that Protestants forget that the word for ‘worship’ in both Hebrew and Greek means to ‘prostrate’, and ‘bow’. It does not mean to sit in a pew and stare.
That aside, I have thought much about this since I returned to the Church. No, I bow before God, but since we are all physical beings, we need the physical to remind or connect us with the spiritual. To keep us focused. Overwise, I start praying to the “God of my imagination”, not to the Creator. When a Protestant kneels or bows during the ‘invitation’, what is physically there to connect him with the invisible God?
If God can inspire men to write the word of God, why would he not insprire men to create art that also gives testimony to His redemption?

No, I never saw Catholics over the last 50 tears bow to statues or images. They may kneel before a statue in order to pray to the saint represented, but of course they don’t pray to the statue itself.

I sometimes become uneasy when surrounded by religious statues of Jesus, Mary, or one of the saints.

The reason: It’s not the statues themselves but how they remind me that the people they represent are well aware of what I do and watching my every move. >_<;;;

Catholics such as my self will bow and kneel before lots of objects which repersent the things we venerate. First and foremost the Christ, the Cross we’ll even kiss the Bible, priests will kiss the alter. In addition I might pray kneeling before St. Michael (the Patron of my parish), or the Blessed Virgin.

I venerate most especially Christ, his passion and the Word of God (in all senses), I also venerate the Saints and Angels as my helpers on the journey.

I bow to the altar, genuflect in front of the Tabernacle, but can’t say I bow to any of the statues. I do think the statues are great though, they make the Church look lovely and help you to focus prayer. For example, the crucified Christ provokes compassion and helps remind us what our Lord went through on our behalf.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.