Do any dioceses span more than one country?

I read in Wikipedia,

Finally, territory was taken [from the Archdiocese of New York] to form the Prefecture Apostolic of Bahama (now the Archdiocese of Nassau) on March 21, 1929

We don't even have dioceses in more than one state or province in most of North America anymore, so I was surprised to see a single diocese in more than one country.

Two more questions: [list=1]*]When did they get rid of dioceses that spanned more than one state in the US, and why?
*]In Latin, the Archdiocese is Neo-Eboracensis. Any particular reason why "York" is Eboracensis?[/list]

This will answer your question about New York in Latin:
etymonline.com/index.php?term=York&allowed_in_frame=0

[quote="Digitonomy, post:1, topic:322041"]
I read in Wikipedia,We don't even have dioceses in more than one state or province in most of North America anymore, so I was surprised to see a single diocese in more than one country.

Two more questions:[LIST=1]
*]When did they get rid of dioceses that spanned more than one state in the US, and why?
*]In Latin, the Archdiocese is Neo-Eboracensis. Any particular reason why "York" is Eboracensis?
[/LIST]

[/quote]

The Latin word for York, England, is Eboraci; thus is is the same for New York in the USA.

The practice of having dioceses that spanned across state lines continued until the 1960s, 1970s and even into the1980s, especially in the Southern US, where Catholics were not numerous. The Archdiocese of Mobile, Alabama included territory in the western Florida panhandle until 1975, when the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee was created. The Diocese of El Paso, Texas included territory in New Mexico until the Diocese of Las Cruces was created in 1982.

One diocese today, the Diocese of Gallup, New Mexico, includes two counties in Arizona (Navajo and Apache). The Archdiocese of Washington, DC today does include territory in Maryland.

This website is very helpful in this regard.

I don't think so. I mean, I live in Minnesota and up north, I'd love to see a joint Duluth, MN-Thunder Bay, ON diocese. Of course, we'd have a Mass for pretty much every Wild-Senators matchup. We love our hockey over there.

I am currently sifting through dioceses of Asian-Pacific island nations for evidence on this. I am pretty sure that we would be able to find examples among the Eastern Catholics, and I would mention that the single most notable instance is the Diocese of Rome, which encompasses both Rome (part of Italy) and Vatican City, a sovereign nation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.