Do any of you like Fr. Richard Rohr?

He is a Fransiscan priest in New Mexico. And he is NOT a heretic…His material has helped me alot…

Don’t know him.
As far as his writings, I do not care for them but others do.
I was not aware that he was charged with heresy or even accused of it. Lay opinions along these lines don’t mean much

Love the Franciscans, but Fr. Rohr is a little too new agey for my tastes.

Although as a member of the laity, I would never go so far, but I know of more than one Franciscan personally who has been quite bold in accusing Rohr of heresy…and, since you don’t take into account what the laity has to say, I will still reiterate, I don’t think he is a heretic, but I still think he is off the mark.

I like a lot of what he says in the books of his that I’ve read. I know he can be controversial too, especially when he speculates or suggests an alternative understanding regarding Church teaching, but that doesn’t really bother me.

Have no idea who’s accused him of heresy.
That is a very serious judicial charge. Not my field of interest or competence, and if I don’t have direct knowledge of something like that it’s just not something I pass on. It’s a little like gossip.

In any case, he’s not my cup of tea pastorally. His writings are too convoluted for me.

I’m subscribed to receive his daily meditations in my emails

I’ve also watched him on YouTube

I generally like him.

Jim

I get his daily email. Some of it is good. Some of it is problematic. Generally, I like it.

Here’s some links on Fr. Rohr;

A Primer on Richard Rohr
Catholic Answers

Fr. Richard Rohr
Women of Grace Johnnette Benkovic

I found this interesting. Even a Catholic supplies site has a problem with him, and won’t carry his products.

New Ways Ministry, a dissenting “Catholic” group sure does approve of him!

Fr. Richard Rohr on Sexuality, Gender, and Our Identity in Christ
New Ways Ministry

Here’s the thing about Fr. Richard. By his own account, he goes overboard, sometimes. For instance, he quipped once that it wasn’t good enough for him to found a new community, no it had to be called “The New Jerusalem Community.” Over the years, I’d say he has what many popular writers get (and which I get, too!!) which is “when you have a brand new hammer, every problem is a nail” syndrome. When he was into the Enneagram, everything could be explained by the Enneagram. In truth, the Enneagram was not all it purported itself to be, but there were some insights that could be gained into how people with certain strengths also tended to have certain inter-related blind spots.

My take would be that he does try to remain within the boundaries of orthodoxy but he also realizes that some things are hard to articulate without being in any danger of being misconstrued as a heretic. Even writings of the saints can be taken that way. He goes pretty close to that boundary. He also doesn’t hold to “do no wrong is the sum of morality” thinking, which one has to admit is closer to the red letters than examining ourselves only for things we ought to avoid doing at the expense of examining ourselves for things we ought to be doing or being so afraid of doing wrong that we avoid profitable things.

He has also done a lot of work with people in prisons and people who are disenfranchised or left the Church or are frustrated with the Church. He also has a utopian bent, which has its hazards. Between you and me, I think he’d ordain women in a New York minute, if he had the authority to do it, but he does seem to take obedience seriously…so he tries to walk that line where he remains obedient but doesn’t avoid trying to do things that a lot of fellow Catholics aren’t going to like.

My advice would be that it is worth reading what he has to say, he does issue challenges for the Church to be very serious about how we defend the poor, for instance, there is a great deal of mercy in what he says and some things that it does profit a Catholic to hear, but measure what he says and don’t count on him to be as orthodox as maybe he thinks he is.

Yeah…I was just reading some of his stuff on his website…but smoothing just didn’t feel right to me about him…yes…logic and reason and philosophy are important…but so is authority and tradition…and Fr. Richard Rohr seems wishy-washy to me and like he is confused and/or really doesn’t know what he really believes…

Find him refreshing and helpful.

I read the first part of one of his books once. Then it took a 90 degree turn. I dropped it quick.
I ask myself now, when there is so much great, orthodox Catholic writing out there, why spend my time on anything questionable? Only so many hours in the day.

He knows what he believes. He just cannot say things without being careful, because (a) what he means and how he is taken aren’t always the same thing and (b) sometimes he is being obedient rather than thinking that some things that legitimate authority does not allow wouldn’t maybe be better if they were allowed. I think it is fair to assume he’d say “does not currently allow,” except that it is not fair to put words in his mouth. He gets too much of that, as it is, from every side, because he doesn’t worry that being misconstrued the first time around is the worst thing that can happen.

I’d say it is fair to say he much more concerned about what good things won’t happen if you don’t do than being concerned about what bad things will happen if you don’t refrain from doing. That’s not to say he is against boundaries, but that he sees in the plain meaning of the Gospel that even good boundaries can have their perils, when observing boundaries is substituted for trust in the positive commands such as loving enemies, taking care of the poor, refraining from judging, and so on.

I’d agree that there are too many riches in the Church to force ourselves into something we have difficulty grasping in an orthodox way. Maybe it is orthodox, maybe it isn’t, but as you say there is no shortage of things to challenge us in a way that meshes well with our “learning style” or “place in life” or “background” or what have you.

My mom, who is not Catholic and likely never will be, has been on Fr. Richard’s email list for years and reads those emails as soon as they come into her inbox. She really enjoys him. I find him a bit “out there”.

I’ve never had the opportunity to meet him, so, I can’t say if I like him. I pray for him and for all priests every day.

Right now I’m slowly working through Cardinal Sarah’ The Power of Silence. Then want to read some works by Carthusians. The classes I’ve been taking the last year use very low Christology stuff. I need to get back on the beam.

Here’s something with potential appeal for both fans and critics of Fr. Rohr, Lent With Richard Rohr, daily Lenten messages sent to your inbox:

Perfect for Lent. Fans can find inspiration, and critics can endure it as a heavy penance :smirk:

I wouldn’t trust any of the sites you’ve linked, especially Women of Grace.

From the article you linked…“Fr. Rohr also teaches a New Age version of contemplation known as Centering Prayer.”

Her lack of knowledge about Centering Prayer borders scandalous

It’s not New Age, as the method of contemplative prayer goes back to the 4th Century Mystics.

Jim

Once I read about the guys jumping naked over a fire in the desert, I became concerned. I tried reading a book of his and stopped when he subtly argued for ordination of women.

Ugh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.