do catholics and orthodox view the mass the same way?

as i understand the Mass, we Catholics believe that we re-present to God the Father the sacrifice of his Son (i.e., we re-present his Body and Blood). Do Orthodox Christians believe the same thing happens in their Liturgy?

Yes the Orthodox Church does believe in the Eucharist. They just do it in Greek.:thumbsup:

[quote="The_Holy_War_11, post:2, topic:282025"]
Yes the Orthodox Church does believe in the Eucharist. They just do it in Greek.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Or Slavonic. Or Armenian. Or Syriac. Or Arabic. Or....

;)

-ACEGC

I would say that the Eastern Christian (Orthodox and Catholic) emphasis in the Divine Liturgy is the celebration of the Resurrection.

That said, I'd also emphaisze that the Holy Eucharist is central to the spiritual life of Eastern Christians as it is through the Eucharist that we are united with and in Christ. It is one of the reasons why we Communicate infants with Baptism and Chrismation in the Rites of Initiation, as we believe that no properly disposed member of the Church should be kept from the Eucharist.

Hope that helps, and I look forward to the responses of our Orthodox contributors.

From the Holy Anaphora ...
[FONT=&quot]Let us stand well. Let us stand in awe. Let us be attentive, that we may present the holy offering in peace.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mercy and peace, a sacrifice of praise.[/FONT] **

[FONT=&quot]The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you.[/FONT] **
*[FONT=&quot]And with your spirit.
[/FONT] *

[FONT=&quot]Let us lift up our hearts.[/FONT] **
*[FONT=&quot]We lift them up to the Lord
[/FONT] *

[FONT=&quot]Let us give thanks to the Lord.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]It is proper and right.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]It is proper and right to sing to You, bless You, praise You, thank You and worship You in all places of Your dominion; for You are God ineffable, beyond comprehension, invisible, beyond understanding, existing forever and always the same; You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit. You brought us into being out of nothing, and when we fell, You raised us up again. You did not cease doing everything until You led us to heaven and granted us Your kingdom to come. For all these things we thank You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit; for all things that we know and do not know, for blessings seen and unseen that have been bestowed upon us. We also thank You for this liturgy which You are pleased to accept from our hands, even though You are surrounded by thousands of Archangels and tens of thousands of Angels, by the Cherubim and Seraphim, six-winged, many-eyed, soaring with their wings, **[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Singing the victory hymn, proclaiming, crying out, and saying:[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Holy, holy, holy, Lord Sabaoth, heaven and earth are filled with Your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna to God in the highest.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Together with these blessed powers, merciful Master, we also proclaim and say: You are holy and most holy, You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit. You are holy and most holy, and sublime is Your glory. You so loved Your world that You gave Your only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. He came and fulfilled the divine plan for us. On the night when He was delivered up, or rather when He gave Himself up for the life of the world, He took bread in His holy, pure, and blameless hands, gave thanks, blessed, sanctified, broke and gave it to His holy disciples and apostles, saying:
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Take, eat, this is my Body which is broken for you for the forgiveness of sins.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Likewise, after supper, He took the cup, saying:
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Drink of it all of you; this is my Blood of the new Covenant which is shed for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Remembering, therefore, this command of the Savior, and all that came to pass for our sake, the cross, the tomb, the resurrection on the third day, the ascension into heaven, the enthronement at the right hand of the Father, and the second, glorious coming,
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]We offer to You these gifts from Your own gifts in all and for all.*[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]We praise You, we bless You, we give thanks to You, and we pray to You, Lord our God.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Once again we offer to You this spiritual worship without the shedding of blood, and we ask, pray, and entreat You: send down Your Holy Spirit upon us and upon these gifts here presented.

[/FONT] **[FONT=&quot]And make this bread the precious Body of Your Christ. +[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]And that which is in this cup the precious Blood of Your Christ. +[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Changing them by Your Holy Spirit. ++
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen. Amen. Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]So that they may be to those who partake of them for vigilance of soul, forgiveness of sins, communion of Your Holy Spirit, fulfillment of the kingdom of heaven, confidence before You, and not in judgment or condemnation. Again, we offer this spiritual worship for those who repose in the faith, forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics, and for every righteous spirit made perfect in faith.

http://www.orthodox.pl/images/borders/venzel2-2.gif**
[/FONT]

[quote="Hesychios, post:5, topic:282025"]
[FONT=&quot]Let us stand well. Let us stand in awe. Let us be attentive, that we may present the holy offering in peace.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mercy and peace, a sacrifice of praise.[/FONT] **

[FONT=&quot]The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you.[/FONT] **
*[FONT=&quot]And with your spirit.
[/FONT] *

[FONT=&quot]Let us lift up our hearts.[/FONT] **
*[FONT=&quot]We lift them up to the Lord
[/FONT] *

[FONT=&quot]Let us give thanks to the Lord.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]It is proper and right.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]It is proper and right to sing to You, bless You, praise You, thank You and worship You in all places of Your dominion; for You are God ineffable, beyond comprehension, invisible, beyond understanding, existing forever and always the same; You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit. You brought us into being out of nothing, and when we fell, You raised us up again. You did not cease doing everything until You led us to heaven and granted us Your kingdom to come. For all these things we thank You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit; for all things that we know and do not know, for blessings seen and unseen that have been bestowed upon us. We also thank You for this liturgy which You are pleased to accept from our hands, even though You are surrounded by thousands of Archangels and tens of thousands of Angels, by the Cherubim and Seraphim, six-winged, many-eyed, soaring with their wings, **[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Singing the victory hymn, proclaiming, crying out, and saying:[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Holy, holy, holy, Lord Sabaoth, heaven and earth are filled with Your glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna to God in the highest.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Together with these blessed powers, merciful Master, we also proclaim and say: You are holy and most holy, You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit. You are holy and most holy, and sublime is Your glory. You so loved Your world that You gave Your only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. He came and fulfilled the divine plan for us. On the night when He was delivered up, or rather when He gave Himself up for the life of the world, He took bread in His holy, pure, and blameless hands, gave thanks, blessed, sanctified, broke and gave it to His holy disciples and apostles, saying:
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Take, eat, this is my Body which is broken for you for the forgiveness of sins.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Likewise, after supper, He took the cup, saying:
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Drink of it all of you; this is my Blood of the new Covenant which is shed for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Remembering, therefore, this command of the Savior, and all that came to pass for our sake, the cross, the tomb, the resurrection on the third day, the ascension into heaven, the enthronement at the right hand of the Father, and the second, glorious coming,
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]We offer to You these gifts from Your own gifts in all and for all.*[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]We praise You, we bless You, we give thanks to You, and we pray to You, Lord our God.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Once again we offer to You this spiritual worship without the shedding of blood, and we ask, pray, and entreat You: send down Your Holy Spirit upon us and upon these gifts here presented.

[/FONT] **[FONT=&quot]And make this bread the precious Body of Your Christ. +[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]And that which is in this cup the precious Blood of Your Christ. +[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]Changing them by Your Holy Spirit. ++
[/FONT] **
[FONT=&quot]Amen. Amen. Amen.
[/FONT] *
[FONT=&quot]So that they may be to those who partake of them for vigilance of soul, forgiveness of sins, communion of Your Holy Spirit, fulfillment of the kingdom of heaven, confidence before You, and not in judgment or condemnation. Again, we offer this spiritual worship for those who repose in the faith, forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics, and for every righteous spirit made perfect in faith.

http://www.orthodox.pl/images/borders/venzel2-2.gif**
[/FONT]

[/quote]

So beautiful. There aren't words.

-ACEGC

[quote="edward_george, post:6, topic:282025"]
So beautiful. There aren't words.

[/quote]

That's Sunday morning (in the East)!

Bless you, EG!

[quote="ByzCathCantor, post:7, topic:282025"]

Bless you, EG!

[/quote]

I haven't been to Divine Liturgy since about September, used to go all the time when I was in college. There's a Byzantine Church not far from my seminary that I visit occasionally for Vespers--I love the East!

-ACEGC

[quote="edward_george, post:8, topic:282025"]
I haven't been to Divine Liturgy since about September, used to go all the time when I was in college. There's a Byzantine Church not far from my seminary that I visit occasionally for Vespers--I love the East!

[/quote]

We will pray for you as you complete your vocational studies!

Perhaps you would consider becoming a bi-ritual priest some day ...

[quote="Hesychios, post:5, topic:282025"]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]****

[/quote]

[quote="ByzCathCantor, post:7, topic:282025"]

Bless you, EG!

[/quote]

Very interesting! Plus I see a lot of familiar phrases there- Have got to attend a Divine Liturgy one of these days like I've been threatening to do! :hmmm: I wonder if the Oriental liturgies have similar wording?

[quote="Marybeloved, post:10, topic:282025"]
Very interesting! Plus I see a lot of familiar phrases there

[/quote]

It is not surprising that you would find this familiar ...

BTW - brother Hesychios posted the version from his own Orthodox source. But for some differences in translation, this is virtually the same as the form taken in my own EC church.

Just goes to show once again, across the board - we have more in common than that which separates us!

THE PRAYER OF THE PROTHESIS

PRIEST: (quietly): O Lord, God Almighty, Who alone art holy; who dost accept the sacrifice of praise from those who call upon thee with their whole heart: Accept also the prayer of us sinners, and bear it to thy holy Altar, and enable us to offer unto thee gifts and spiritual sacrifices for our sins and for the errors of the people; And make us worthy to find grace in thy sight, that our sacrifice may be acceptable unto thee; and that the good spirit of thy grace may dwell upon us and upon these gifts here offered, and upon all thy people. PRIEST: (Aloud): Through the mercies of Your only begotten Son with whom You are blessed, together with Your all holy, good, and life giving Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

CHOIR: Amen.

[quote="ByzCathCantor, post:11, topic:282025"]

Just goes to show once again, across the board - we have more in common than that which separates us!

[/quote]

Amen!

[quote="dcointin, post:12, topic:282025"]
THE PRAYER OF THE PROTHESIS

PRIEST: (quietly): O Lord, God Almighty, Who alone art holy; who dost accept the sacrifice of praise from those who call upon thee with their whole heart: Accept also the prayer of us sinners, and bear it to thy holy Altar, and enable us to offer unto thee gifts and spiritual sacrifices for our sins and for the errors of the people; And make us worthy to find grace in thy sight, that our sacrifice may be acceptable unto thee; and that the good spirit of thy grace may dwell upon us and upon these gifts here offered, and upon all thy people. PRIEST: (Aloud): Through the mercies of Your only begotten Son with whom You are blessed, together with Your all holy, good, and life giving Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

CHOIR: Amen.

[/quote]

If only my confession on justification could fit into the East :(

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:14, topic:282025"]
If only my confession on justification could fit into the East :(

[/quote]

Did you ever get a chance to visit that Antiochian parish?

[quote="dcointin, post:15, topic:282025"]
Did you ever get a chance to visit that Antiochian parish?

[/quote]

No, I didn't have time on Sunday, but I did send an email to the Rev Fr. Haven't heard back yet, however.

I understand, for the Orthodox, that the elements are transubstantiated at the Epiclesis. So in their Liturgy, its not during the words if Consecration but after?

[quote="Layp3rs0n, post:17, topic:282025"]
I understand, for the Orthodox, that the elements are transubstantiated at the Epiclesis. So in their Liturgy, its not during the words if Consecration but after?

[/quote]

The Orthodox haven't identified it as precisely. All they teach is that after the Epiklesis, which is the end of the Anaphora, we have the Body and Blood of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.