Do Catholics and other Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?

There seems to be many who’s upset with the title Catholic’s & other Christians.

Just to clarify I meant no disrespect to anyone.

But there is six branches of Christianity ( Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Assyrians ).

The forum is Catholic.com ?

So why all this hostility ?

The hostility is not about the title “other Christians” but the insinuation that Catholics are not Christians.

I don’t think that’s the way the term was used here, but it seems some took it that way.

1 Like

@englands123 No hostility, englands, but lots of frustration. For approximately 1500 hundred years we’ve been dismissed as not being Christian, when the truth is that we’ve been Christian since 33 AD, and before that, for some of the apostles. Just a few weeks ago, the Wikipedia (blight of mankind) “Christianity” article didn’t even say the word “Catholic” until the article began to discuss the Protestant period. Yesterday, that changed article said that Christianity began as a religion in 70 AD! No kidding! Of course, they don’t explain those missing years between 33 AD and 69 AD, when the first Catholics were doing Christ’s bidding. It still takes centuries for them to mention “Catholic,” and, then, only in an oblique reference.

“Catholics (not Catholic’s) and other Christians” is okay because Catholics are acknowledged as being Christian. Your title has been changed and now reads: “Do Catholics and other Christians have to obey the Old Testament Law?” That’s okay, but the wording of the original title included “Catholic’s and Christian’s,” as though they are two separate groups and Catholics are not considered to be Christians.That’s not okay.

Bottom Line: ALL those who believe that their salvation is through Christ are Christians, as you noted when you mentioned six branches of Christianity, and included Catholics. :grinning:

Peace be with you, englands. :innocent:

You’re talking to fervent Catholics who are chomping at the bit to defend the Church. Forgive us.

1 Like

Jesus is truly Israel, Matthew 2:13-15,19-21; Hosea 11:1; who is the real overcomer, John 16:33; Revelation 3:21; and “prince”, Isaiah 9:6; with God His Father, whose, “children” are His disciples, Hebrews 2:9-13; Isaiah 8:8-20; John 13:33.

Jesus said:

Mat_5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

This Heaven and this earth are still very much here.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

As for Love God and Neighbour, Jesus quoted from OT, Deuteronomy 6:5, and Leviticus 19:17-18, both of which are in the context of the Ten Commandments (Deut 5), and sin (1 John 3:4).

Jesus said:

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

He quoted Himself:

Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

The Holy Spirit says:

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man (Heb. Adam).

Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

John 13:34-35

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

“New” = καινηνG2537 A-ASF, not “neos” (G3501).

Jesus demonstrated love in action, in truth, the pharisees had only love in theory, in hypocrisy.

Here is how John, himself, understood it:

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not [1 John 3:4]. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn_2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

1Jn_2:8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

2Jn 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

2Jn_1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

Thus the ‘old commandment’, they had from the beginning, was seen in the face of Jesus Christ, as they had never understood it before:

Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Jesus magnifies the law, and magnification, removes not one part, but demonstrates the deepness of it:

Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Psa_119:96 I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad.

There seems to be many who’s upset with the title Catholic’s & other Christians.
Just to clarify I meant no disrespect to anyone.
But there is six branches of Christianity ( Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Assyrians ).
The forum is Catholic.com ?
So why all this hostility ?

It’s a bit ambiguous and can be taken in various manners - due to disagreements existing amongst yes, even Christians… some of whom do not accept Catholics as being Christians…

That said… and to the OP -

No. Followers of Christ - by whatever manner - have to follow Mosaic Law -

For Now - All People are called by God to have Faith in Jesus and Worship In Spirit…

I literally laughed out loud.

1 Like

My Catholic Mother-in-Law and I were just discussing this a couple of weeks ago! Galatians Chapter 3 provides a great explanation about the purpose of the Mosaic Law and God’s intention to fulfill the Law through Jesus Christ.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.