Do Catholics believe John 6:53?

Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. [John 6:53]

Often when speaking with protestants, Catholics will quote this verse in an attempt prove to their separated brethren that there is something lacking within protestantism. In response protestants often try to say that Jesus was not speaking literally but was speaking figuratively. They attempt to prove this by quoting Jesus when He later in the same chapter says, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” Catholics then often respond by insisting that Jesus was indeed speaking literally.

My question is, do Catholics truly believe the words of Jesus in John 6:53?

John 6:55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Jesus means it literally. Why do you think when lots of people went away after hearing him say that he did not call them back and say hang on I’m just speaking symbolically. They knew he meant it literally. That’s why many left him.

False. I would argue that there are more Protestants who believe in the Real Presence then there are who deny it. This isn’t strictly a Catholic vs. Protestant issue. It’s a correct interpretation vs incorrect interpretation issue.

My question is, do Catholics truly believe the words of Jesus in John 6:53?

Yes.

God bless

Catholics, that are in line with the teaching of the Church, believe it with all their hearts!!! Sadly, not every Catholic is in line with the teaching of the Church. Once simply has to watch those in the pews during the Consecration and Communion to realize this.

Then you believe this literally. You believe, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you”?

Is Jesus referring to the real presence of Himself in the Eucharist? Is there another souse to obtain Jesus’ flesh and blood other than within the RCC?

The Eastern Orthodox Church, as well as other churches separated from Rome, have valid holy orders and therefore continue the apostolic succession established by Jesus.

Katholikos – that is cute. :smiley:

Thank you for your comment. I think you bring up a good point. I have forgotten that many protestants believe in the real presence as well. Thank you for correcting me.

Then I will ask you the same question I asked Thistle. Is there another source to obtain Jesus’ real flesh and blood other than the Eucharist within the RCC?

I’m not sure how to take that comment :hmmm:

Thank you for your comment. I think you bring up a good point. I have forgotten that many protestants believe in the real presence as well. Thank you for correcting me.

:tiphat:

Don’t feel alone. Catholics often forget this as well.

God bless

Thanks for your comment. So then the Eucharist within the Orthodox Church is another source of obtaining the real transubstantiated presence of Jesus and thus fulfill Jesus’ command in John 6:53? Are there any other sources where are person can obtain Jesus’ read presence in a way that fulfills Jesus’ words in John 6:53?

Berean,

Can we just skip it and you tell us where you are going with this and what you are thinking?

God bless

Just trying to be friendly. Is that a funny way of saying, “Catholic” or am I completely off base?

I apologize. Usually the protocol around here is that questions are asked in order to lead up to what the person is really trying to get at. You are defiantly, “more noble” than those posters :wink:

Is that a funny way of saying, “Catholic” or am I completely off base?

Catholic is from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), which means “universal”.

“Where there is Jesus Christ, there is the Katholicos Church” (St. Ignatius Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 8:2 107AD)

God bless

Let’s see:
"Amen, Amen…"
Repeats that we are to eat His flesh four times.
“My flesh is true food indeed…”

I’m not sure how you can possible not take this literally.

As noted previously, a validly ordained priesthood is necessary to consecrate the Eucharist.

Are there other ways? Not that we’ve been taught, but quite frankly, that doesn’t mean there are none. Until then, I’ll go with what Christ taught us! :wink:

Good point. The reason I bring this up is because Catholics often accuse me of not obeying Jesus’ command. They say I have faith without works. I try to point out that I believe in good works like love, compassion, forgiveness, helping the poor, etc but they insist that I must take John 6:53 literally that is why Jesus said, “Amen, amen…”

But then I try to lovingly point out to them that Catholics do not take this verse literally either.

Jesus says that, “unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” And the RCC says that the only place to receive His actual body and blood is in the Eucharist within the RCC or OC.

If the only place to receive His flesh and blood are in those two churches, how then are some Muslims and Jews and protestants and even heathens ever saved apart from the RCC?

No one comes to the Father except through me”. It seems the Catholic Church is no less particular than Jesus.

Jesus is not speaking about His own flesh when He states that it “profits nothing”. If this were the case, He could not have given His flesh for the life of the world.

What He is saying is that this is a deep mystery (His flesh and Blood in the bread and wine) and it cannot be understood with the carnal mind.

catholics understand it this way because we have done what the Bereans did, and what you to might consider doing. Receive the Apostolic message with eagerness, from those to whom it was committed by teh Apostles.

You can tell a difference between the way Jesus speaks of “The Flesh” vs. “My Flesh”. “The Flesh” is speaking of those who live in this world. It often referencing our sinful ways. St. Paul echoes this separate numerous times, contrasting those who live in “The Flesh” vs. those who live in Him.

Jesus words here simply bolster the Catholic argument, in my opinion.

Dear brother BereanRuss,

When you say “literally,” Catholics and others who believe in the Real Presence probably mean something different than what you believe (presumably). “Literally” to us does not mean “according to the flesh,” which is what Protestants normally believe. “Literally” to us means “sacramentally.” What we receive at the Eucharistic table, what effects our union with the divine, is the glorified Flesh of Jesus Christ. It is not earthly flesh. This is the Flesh that defies all laws of physics (from the biblical testimony, it can pass through solid objects, can be in many places at once, can oppose the laws of gravity, etc.). Simply put, the Flesh and blood we eat and drink at the Eucharistic table is not the same kind of flesh and blood that you or I have.

Don’t you find it strange that many Protestants wish to interpret symbolically the very statements of Jesus where He rather emphasizes “truly, truly.” Why don’t many Protestants take Jesus at His word? How much more plain can Jesus be?

[quote=]Is Jesus referring to the real presence of Himself in the Eucharist? Is there another souse to obtain Jesus’ flesh and blood other than within the RCC?
[/quote]

The Sacraments are known as the NORMATIVE means by which Christians come into union with God. It is also a Catholic Traditional teaching that God is not restricted by His Sacraments. This does not mean that the Sacraments (particularly the Eucharist) are not necessary for salvation, but merely that for those who do not know any better (i.e., are in a state of invincible ignorance), God’s Grace can still flow to them by their belief. However, those who know the truth, or even suspect the truth, cannot easily refuse the Sacraments without consequences that might affect their salvation.

With respect to other Faiths who have the Eucharist, what the Catholic Church teaches is that God’s Grace flows through the Catholic Church - that salvation comes through the Catholic Church. If there are other Churches who have valid Sacraments, it is because they were once part of that selfsame Catholic Church, and have continued in those elements that are necessary to have such valid Sacraments. If this were not so, they would not have valid Sacraments at all. Any salvific elements within Protestantism or any non-Catholic Churches comes from the fact that they were once part of the Catholic Church, and even now are imperfectly united to her, some groups more fully than others.

Blessings,
Marduk

It is His mystical body. It is not “flesh and blood” in the cannabilistic sense as many misunderstand it. Do you not think that Jesus is able to make Himself physically present this way, if He so wishes?

The Catholic Church is not “Roman”, and yes, there are valid sacraments in the Orthodox Communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.