Do Catholics believe that Muslims can get into heaven?

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day."330

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

As a Catholic, I do believe that my religion teaches me to respect others. I also feel that Pope Francis is a great leader, and a man who is helping to make the world a better place. I especially enjoy how Francis is kind toward followers of other religions, such as Jews and Muslims.

I want to ask folks on this board how they feel about the above, what does it mean to you, do you feel that Muslims can get into heaven?

Many Blessings to all!

Considering anyone can get to heaven because of Christ’s redemptive acts, there’s no need to single out Muslims more than any other non-Christian group. :slight_smile:

As the Catechims states:

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:
Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

Those who are saved apart from visible membership in the Church are saved by baptism of desire, evidenced in their sincere actions “to his will as they know it…”. There is no reason to suppose Muslims are excluded from this teaching.

As Della demonstrated above, Catholic teaching is that yes, Muslims can get into heaven, though it is still through Jesus Christ even if they are not aware before hand. We believe that they worship Him who they do not know, at least fully, but it is the “one, merciful God” nonetheless. Christ died for Muslims as well, and desires that none be lost.

You are brand new here. Although you claim to be “Catholic”, all of your posts are decidedly pro-Muslim. Would you be so kind as to elaborate just a bit?

What does a Muslim need to do to get to heaven?

The position has never been taken in Catholicism that Moslems do not get into heaven, They are not baptized by water, but according to the Catholic view there is baptism by desire, that can occur with people of any religion.

A Muslim, like anyone else, can be saved by becoming a Catholic and remaining in a state of grace.

The question seems to imply that one can get into heaven by practicing Islam, or in spite of it; but the Church teaches (Cantate Domino, Denz. 714) that “all those who are outside the Catholic Church” cannot be saved “unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives”. In other words, they must become Catholics, at least implicitly.

God can of course accomplish this in extraordinary ways (e.g. the thief on the cross), but we should not expect this, still less demand it of him. Some people stretch invincible ignorance and baptism of desire to the point that practically everyone is saved no matter his beliefs or lifestyle. Note that Vatican II (Unitatis Red.) says the *plan *of salvation includes Muslims, not that they are saved by practicing Islam.

This is of course nothing personal against Muslims. Those Muslims whom I have met, I have liked rather well.

Extremely well said. It is possible, but if they are not believing in Christ as redeemer when they die or ar not n the state of grace, then most likely no.

I dont understand, this is not a thread about myself, rather a thread asking folks if they believe Muslims can get into heaven.

But I will entertain friend,

I’m Catholic, I also happened to find interest in Islam, I dont understand what you mean by elaborate just a bit, if you want to know more about my personal life, then feel free to PM me.

Many blessings to all :slight_smile:

God has given us His Church for our salvation. Who else He decides to save is up to Him, not us. He may give them the realization that Jesus Christ is Savior at the moment of their death.

I am sorry if I insulted you. I think that you have explained well enough. Thank you.

I don’t think anyone has said that it is through the practice of Islam that they are saved. It is only through Christ that we are saved and he can save whoever he desires to save. I agree with the premise of your post, however. While anyone can be saved, we should never expect it (sin of presumption). There is a reason he gave us the ordinary means of grace; the sacraments.

It is possible for a Muslim to be saved, but it is not likely.

[quote=Ad Orientem;12403865…The question seems to imply that one can get into heaven *by practicing Islam
[/quote]

, or in spite of it; but the Church teaches (Cantate Domino, Denz. 714) that “all those who are outside the Catholic Church” cannot be saved “unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives”. In other words, they must become Catholics, at least implicitly…

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
847 **This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation**.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

You have not insulted me , and your welcome.

Many blessings to all :slight_smile:

God saves whom he wishes. If God desires to save a Muslim, then he will. To deny this would be a denial of God’s omnipotence.

That having been said, we need grace to get to heaven. The greatest source of grace is the Sacraments: Imagine how much harder it is to get to heaven without the Sacraments.

In short: It is possible, but it is far from the best way.

Well said, if they live a Godly life do the best they can with the knowledge that they have and ignore the violent parts of what the Quran taught and Mohammed taught who acted very like Joseph Smyth- I see no reason why the Lord in His mercy would not save them
if one loves the Lord, anything is possible.

Martyrdom. :frowning:

To get into the Christian heaven just accept Christ?

To get into the Muslim heaven just accept allah and a shortcut is a martyrdom operation, so the msm has you believe.

If its all the same god, when he gets to the pearly gates they will look into his hate and if he was deceived he will be forgiven as Jesus is all about forgiveness. If its the Allah god, well he wasn’t deceived at all and was just doing what he thought was right…

I don’t agree with martydom operations though, but I can appreciate things from their perspective.

I believe in your happiness etc should not come from the suffering.hurting of another in anyway.

You had made all of 847 Bold and I underlined the word that was stressed in our RCIA class. “May”. The normal way of salvation is outlined in the new testament but God is not bound by the sacraments. God can save anyone that he wishes and “may” do so but as far as we know, the salvation of the new testament is the only way.

In 848, God “can”. God “can” do whatever he chooses to do for reasons that escape our understanding. However, 848 does not say that God “will”, it just states that he “can”. Of course he “can”. He is creator of the universe and “can” do so much more than we could ever comprehend but 848 is not claiming what God “will” do and for that matter, neither does 847.

I don’t think there is any chance that the writers of the CCC or the writings quoted within have ever written anything without carefully examining it. In 847, I don’t think they accidentally wrote “may”, when they actually meant a definitive “will”. In 848, I don’t think they wrote “can” (which is obvious since God “can” do anything) when they actually meant a definitive “will”.

The truth is God can and will do as he wishes for whatever reason he chooses. Personally, I’m glad it’s up to God as it isn’t a job I would want. From time to time, I “decide” who I think will or will not make it to heaven but that is really none of my business. It’s certainly the business of those in the Trinity and probably to priests and pastors but absolutely not mine. At this point in time, I’m not spiritually mature enough to have the correct feeling right away and can be quite “judgey”. After a bit of thought, I discover the correct answer and hopefully someday I will feel it the first time instead of having to work to find it.

I can’t answer the poll because what I think doesn’t matter. What I do know is that God has shown us a path to salvation and I pray I live my life failing on that path but never giving up on living that life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.