Do Catholics believe the Word of God to be totally true?

Just wanted to see how many Catholics believe the Word of God (Bible) to be totally true.

Um… All of them do. Otherwise they would not be Catholics. What exactly are you getting at here?

Well we do believe in the bible and such, but there are things in the bible we take metaphorically, instead of taking it all as exactly what happened. Like when Jesus said “I am the vine”, we know he is not a vine…
But we believe the Holy Bible is true accounts of the life of Jesus, and the OT, the predicitions of the messiah coming, and the history aspects of the book as well!

How would I know? They don’t let us read the Bible and keep it chained up on the altar and it’s in Latin anyway. :wink:

(Yes, of course the Bible, as the Word of God, is true. What’s important is that we have the correct interpretation of its meaning.)

Yeah I disagree with you here. The Catholic church is replete with people who are born into the church, baptized as infants, go with their parents as children, and then sort of go through the motions into adulthood and bring their kids so that their children can learn ‘good Christian morals.’ Of course, it is not only the Roman church that has this problem, all churches do, but I think it’s safe to say that not EVERY individual parishioner at the Mass believes wholeheartedly in every part of the Church’s dogma.

Plenty of people approach the communion rail and the priest or pastor communes them with little or no knowledge of their personal beliefs. So to say that each of the one billion people who call themselves ‘catholic’ believe something is a little silly. I don’t think the OP was asking about what the CCC says on the subject but rather what individual, lay catholics think.

I guess that was my point. What makes the catholic interpretation the correct one. Like Jn 20:23

Define exactly what you mean by “totally true.”

Had to point this out… you have Luther to thank for the fact that it’s not chained up in Latin anymore.

Of course. From the Cathecism of the Catholic Church, the horse’s mouth, so to speak :):

107 The inspired books teach the truth. “Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures.”

The Holy Spirit.

111 But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. “Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written.”

Actually, I thank Guttenberg. The printing press made mass production possible and the Bible was no longer an expensive, virtually irreplaceable item for the local parish Church.

And there were translations of the Vulgate long before Luther.

We do.

It is just as silly to ask each of the one billion Catholics to declare what they think.

If a Hindu believed everything that Muslims are supposed to believe, would you still call him a Hindu?

Catholics who do not hold to everything that the Church teaches are no longer Catholics in the proper sense of the word. To be a Catholic, you have to believe what you are required to believe in order to merit the title.

So I still say that every Catholic believes all the dogmas of the Catholic Faith (at least implicitly). If they don’t, they’re not technically Catholic.

Hmmmm…Catholic…hmmm…orthodox…to the letter…more in depth…um…gee wiz, take a guess…take a wild guess…

no, I’d call him pakistani, lol

What a bizarre question.

The Catholic Church teaches that the bible is the inspired Word of God and is inerrant as it pertains to faith and morals. There is a whole section on Sacred Scripture in the Catechism. Click the link to read.

Please define what you mean by “totally true,” I think that would help shape the direction of the thread and get to precisely what it is you are asking.

Had to point this out:

Your statement is completely false.

100% true, though not always literal.

It always bugs me when Christians call the Bible the ‘Word of God’.

Jesus is the Word of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.