Do Catholics believe

Does the Catholic Religion believe that once its Church will be threatened to destoyed, Christ will come again in all his splendor to redeem his true believers? Is this in Scripture anywhere?

No one knows the day or hour when Christ will come again. That’s scriptural. Anyone who claims otherwise has read one too many Left Behind series books. :slight_smile:

What we do know is that the power of evil will not prevail against the Church…that too is scriptural. It’s also been time tested as this faith has survived for 2,000 years. Oh it’s had its up and downs. I heard the other day that at one time it lost over 80% of its bishops to a hearesy, but it has survived.

We don’t really put a lot of energy worrying about picking a time when Christ will come again. We know that He will. He said he would, and He has never lied to us. We know we have to always be ready because it will happen as fast as lightning flashing across the sky…also in scripture…not in some long drawn out seven year tribulation that a few Protestant faiths espouse by taking a small passage of scripture way out of context.

We also know that every hour or every day somewhere in the world, Christ gives us His body, blood, soul, and divinity in the Eucharist. That’s way more important because in a sense, it makes every day judgement day. “Am I in a state of grace to receive our Lord?” If not I had better confess, repent, and get back into a state of grace.

From the Catechism:

The Church’s ultimate trial

**675 **Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.573 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth574 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.575

**676 **The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,576 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.577

**677 **The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.578 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.579 God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.580

Here’s the Scripture this draws on:
573 Cf. Lk 18:8; Mt 24:12.
574 Cf. Lk 21:12; Jn 15:19-20.
575 Cf. 2 Th 2:4-12; I Th 5:2-3; 2 Jn 7; I Jn 2:1 8, 22.
578 Cf. Rev 19:1-9.
579 Cf Rev 13:8; 20:7-10; 21:2-4.
580 Cf. Rev 20:12 2 Pt 3:12-13.

The Church is threatened to be destroyed every day!

[quote=chadwilliams]The Church is threatened to be destroyed every day!
[/quote]

And, if I recall, this is not exactly something new!

No one knows the day or hour when Christ will come again. That's scriptural. Anyone who claims otherwise has read one too many Left Behind series books

Or listens to Harold Camping on Family Radio - he insists Jesus is coming back in 2011 (and that he knows why he was wrong when he said he was coming in 1994 :slight_smile: )

Thank you, Genesis, for answering with the Catechism!

I also think it is wrong to get caught up in dates and when it is going to happen - and I mean, by ‘caught up’, to become so overly concerned that we miss the daily opportunity to live as Jesus would have us live.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.