Do Catholics typically get involved with Interfaith Volunteering?

Hi, my name is Mike and I am Catholic, but I often like to learn about different religions. In particular, I like to talk to individuals and learn about their beliefs. Because of my interests, I like to get involved in various kinds of Interfaith activities and learn about all kinds of people.

I was wondering if Catholic’s usually get involved in Interfaith work such a volunteering and if the Catholic Church at large has any substantial movements to do so or funds any Interfaith projects.

Also, I would be interested in hearing what individual Catholics think about Interfaith work.

Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

My parish joins with the Methodist and Episcopal communities in my small town to provide a food bank and monetary funds to help the needy in our community. :thumbsup:

I volunteer quite a bit of time to many organizations, some of them religious and not Catholic.

My last parish did something similar…we learned that there were a few food banks at other local churches, in addition to our own…the churches met, and agreed that one larger food bank would serve the community better, so the resources, and the volunteers, ended up at our church…a fringe benefit was meeting the wonderful people from the other communities.

Also…try googling Faith in Action…our local countywide branch helps the elderly in our area by providing volunteers to take them to medical appointments, take them shopping, help with chores and yardwork, and anything else that can be done to help them to continue to live independently…I’ve met some fine people there…

“Typically”? No. However, you have the opportunity to display your well-founded and unshakable faith in our Eucharistic Lord to those who are separated from mother Church. As we see amply demonstrated here at CAF, arguments do not convert. Example, prayer, and the Holy Spirit, do.

Sure, our family and parish family does all the time.
Goes a long way to show people we’re no the aliens that some would portray us as. :wink:

I agree, though I’m not Catholic.

I disagree. Many, many Catholics and their parishes are involved in Interfaith activities, esp. when it comes to feeding and sheltering the hungry and homeless, helping with crisis pregnancies, right to life organizations, rescue missions. Catholic organizations do not reach everybody, and all people, regardless of creed, need food, shelter, clothing, and often social services, and there is absolutely nothing wrong at all in working with our non-Catholic brothers and sisters in helping others. We can often be more effective that way in reaching out to those in need.

The question was not about evangelization. The question was about helping others through cooperation and partnership with interfaith agencies, and that is done all the time. I would say it is pretty typical.

Our Newman Club prayed with the Intervarsity group once in college and I helped a Baptist friend with a pro-life lunch, so yes, it happens. I don’t know that Catholics mingle quite as much as Protestants do.

Typical means most, average, majority.

Still disagree?

Most, average, majority don’t do much of anything if the truth be told. “Typically” only about 10%-15% of parishioners are involved in the “work” of the Church. :frowning:

I advise Catholics to be skeptical of such things, because some of these general “Christian” groups look for direct and/or creative ways to draw people away from the Catholic faith.

Also, some people who join these interfaith initiatives put on a false face about how they really feel about other religions. :tsktsk:

Yes I do. Perhaps you need to get out more. :slight_smile:

now now.
I didn’t ask the faith of the children we fed at the trailor park this summer.
In fact, they asked US if they had to agree to attend our church to get the free food. Apparently some previous groups had used their charity as a way to “harvest” members.
The Catholic charities do not.
We don’t care who we serve, for we serve Christ.
And the Methodists who were there repairing their homes do too.

And then again, Catholics tend to be so closed off that they don’t evangelize. I think it’s just important to be strong inn your faith. How do I feel about other Christians? The devout ones can be pretty refreshing friends given how secular society is these days. I do believe that they serve Christ, even if they don’t have the whole truth.

I think it depends on where you live. We have a community charity for the needy that is served by most churches in our area. On the other hand, there have been many efforts by our parish to reach out to other churches. Some have been responded favorably, but many entirely ignored the invitation. We are in a heavily Baptist area and one church, not too far away, is not shy about telling their congregation that all us Catholics are going to H—. Nothing to do except keep reaching your hand out and hope they don’t bite it, LOL!

The Catholic church where I volunteer works closely with a number of local churches, especially the downtown ones. The need for services to the poor and homeless would overwhelm any single congregation. We may not be united at our Lord’s table but we join hands in His service.

I’m not involved directly in interfaith organisations, although I got to my wife’s Baptist church more or less on a monthly basis.

However I’m a member of our local St. Vincent de Paul conference, and we often refer clients to other charities run by other churches as we don’t have the resources to meet all the clients’ needs.

There’s one small church fellowship near us, and they put us in the shade when it comes to helping other people. They really put their hands and hearts into it.

Possibly the most effective church outreach that I’m aware of in the local government area was started by a former criminal, drug addict and brothel owner. He really puts some effort into it.

When it comes to charitable Christian organisations, the fact they are constantly networking helps to break down the barriers.

Catholics are a very productive force in my city (I live in the Toronto area). There are all sorts of catholic organizations that provide job training for immigrants, counselling for victims of domestic violence and courses for people who want to learn english. This is offered to anyone, of any religion. My brother volunteers at a soup kitchen at a local church, but he’s not a christian, nor do you have to be one to go and be cared for.

In the Kansas City area there is a lot of interfaith sharing.The important thing is that the hungry person and the thirsty person and those needing clothing have their needs met, if we can do that more efficiently by pooling resources all the better for everyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.