Do Catholics

Dear friend in Christ,

IYO
Do you think Catholics “play God”?

Why? In what way?

God Bless you,
Patrick

Not at all.

I believe Catholics and I worship God in word and sacrament, and we are both part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church.

Not at all.
Most Catholics in my circle of friends would be horrified at the thought. :confused:

We do however, realize that we are blessed with our Sacraments, with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the Divinely inspired Word of God, the example of the Saints, the guardianship of the angels, and the love of Christ for HIS Church. Chiefly in the Eucharist.
:highprayer:

No - I think they serve God.

Do I get bonus points for that answer?

Only a few. Unfortunately it is the few that we see all the time busybodying around, that discouraged the downhearted, leaving the spiritually empty feeling worse than before they came to mass.

To someone who has lost touch with God and is without a good conscience, I’m sure that a Catholic must appear to be “judgmental” and is trying to “play God”… If I am lost in secular thought with no values to navigate the water, I might assume a Catholic is playing God. To a good Catholic, for whom this is not a dress rehearsal but our one and only life; to someone for whom this world is immediate and important and who believes our actions are steps toward heaven or hell, I’m sure there would be a problem with thinking someone is playing God. When one of our acts of spiritual mercy is to “admonish the sinner”, I am sure that there are many who would wonder “by what authority” is someone admonishing and judging a sin.

=House Harkonnen;11771042]Not at all.

I believe Catholics and I worship God in word and sacrament, and we are both part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church.

I would be in “error” for not asking just how this can be?

Does not the Creed say “One, holy Catholic church” where does Lutheranism fit in?

This is a honest question; not a rebuke or a challenge.:slight_smile:

God Bless you,
Patrick

Lutherans believe they are part of the one holy catholic and apostolic church, we confess it every Sunday.
[/quote]

=House Harkonnen;11771879]Lutherans believe they are part of the one holy catholic and apostolic church, we confess it every Sunday.

OK, thanks:)

I was aware of that.

But WHY, or more aptly; HOW? is my question. I sort of recall asking Jon that sometime ago too.

Again, I’m seeking information; not looking for an argument.:smiley:

Catholic in this sense is with a small “c” as in universal, not as in Roman Catholic.
We Catholics take it to mean Roman Catholic, but actually it is a small “c” catholic.
[/quote]

=pianistclare;11772296]Catholic in this sense is with a small “c” as in universal, not as in Roman Catholic.
We Catholics take it to mean Roman Catholic, but actually it is a small “c” catholic.

OK, but then raises another curious question:

If Luthers “consider themselves to be catholics”; WHY NOT just be Catholic?

In my ministry I deal with a lot of non-catholics and I desire to be as informed as I am able to be.

THANKS!:slight_smile:

God Bless,
Patrick

Five years of being Lutheran was a good stepping stone for my husband in deciding to be Catholic. Please don’t knock Lutherans. They are mostly generational and simply keep to the faith of their parents, grandparents. Most of them would make wonderful Catholics. If the church would have sat down and talked to Martin Luther and all his theses resolved in a charitable way, we would not have the problem of protestant proliferation we do today. But Martin was a hothead and so was pope Leo.

=Casilda;11774395]Five years of being Lutheran was a good stepping stone for my husband in deciding to be Catholic. Please don’t knock Lutherans. They are mostly generational and simply keep to the faith of their parents, grandparents. Most of them would make wonderful Catholics. If the church would have sat down and talked to Martin Luther and all his theses resolved in a charitable way, we would not have the problem of protestant proliferation we do today. But Martin was a hothead and so was pope Leo.

I AGREE:thumbsup:

Thank you,
Patrick

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Yes, the Lutheran church has functioned as a first step on the way to Rome or Constantinople often enough. It is generational, particularly for those of us with Northern German ancestry - your very identity is wrapped up within your faith.

And for sure we would make very good Catholics, since we’ve had quite a bit of practice don’t ya know.

huh? :confused:

No

dear “huh”

What I am asking do you think [IYO] are catholics to rigid in their beliefs? WHY?

God Bless you,
Patrick

Okay. :slight_smile: The answer is no and the question could have been worded much better

Good Evening PJM: For clarification, in what ways would we envision Catholics presuming that we could play God? I’m not sure I understand the question.

Thank you,
Gary

Agreed.
The truth is never not rigid.
The truth is freeing.
And, I might add, the truth is always the most compassionate way.
Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.