Do certain people become demons when they go to heck?

Here’s a question of a morbid nature that I’ve been having lately but I’d like it if someone could answer it.I’ve been thinking that when certain people go to heck (I mean one’s that did some REALLY bad moral actions) do they become demons themselves due to the nature of their actions or are they just tormented for eternity as is the common thought?.

Humans do not become demons. Humans and angels (including fallen angels) are different sorts of creatures, and there is nothing in the deposit of faith, or any theological tradition that I know of, to suggest that one could ever turn into the other.

And call it hell, for heaven’s sake.

:smiley: Where is heck anyway?

I actually heard that everybody in hell is a demon. Satan and his angels are fallen angels who are demons. All humans in hell are also demons. Those in heaven are called saints. I know that the communion of saints is made up of those on earth and in purgatory also, but that is why the angels in heaven are also called saints. St. Michael the Archangel for example.

So the angels are angels. The fallen are called demons. Those who never turned against God are saints. Humans who go to hell can be called demons, but not fallen angels.

I actually heard that everybody in hell is a demon. Satan and his angels are fallen angels who are demons. All humans in hell are also demons. Those in heaven are called saints. I know that the communion of saints is made up of those on earth and in purgatory also, but that is why the angels in heaven are also called saints. St. Michael the Archangel for example.

So the angels are angels. The fallen are called demons. Those who never turned against God are saints. Humans who go to hell can be called demons, but not fallen angels.

Could you tell us where you’ve heard that the word ‘demons’ sometimes includes damned humans? I have not ever heard that, and the old Catholic encyclopedia article on demons, for instance, does not mention it:

newadvent.org/cathen/04710a.htm

I can’t recall off the top of my head a place in Scripture where ‘demons’ would seem to refer to humans rather than just fallen angels ( or more generally some kind of evil spiritual being).

Demons are fallen angels. Human beings can never become angels - angels in heaven or fallen angels. Angels and men are different types of beings and are not tranformable into each other.

Hmmmm…that makes sense. Nevertheless, I am wont to disagree (and it’s only my opinion).

Demons are fallen angels, and that is the term allocated to them to differentiate between God’s holy angels and those unholy angels. The word “saint” comes from santus, meaning “sacred”, which means “holy”.

Even though angels can be called 'saint"as in St. Michael, humans can not become angels. In heaven there are sacred angels and sacred humans – or “holy” angels and “holy” humans.

In hell, there is Satan, and his demons - those “unholy” fallen angels. Humans that end up in hell do not become “demons” – they are unholy, evil doers. Therefore, in hell we have “evil” demons and “evil” humans.

blessings,

CEM

I think we are just equating demon with fallen angel when demon should be equated with damned.

Angels can be saints or demons. Humans can be saints or demons. Humans cannot be angels, and angels cannot be humans.

Webster defines demon as an evil spirit, so I can see how it would be easy to think of only fallen angels as demons since they are pure spirit creatures. But those(humans) in hell have no bodies(yet) and are just spirits. So the definition could apply to them.

yes, According to priests of the ministry of Exorcisim in the Roman Catholic Church

humans can become demons (as bad, or worse, as fallen angels) when they die. Demons of the evil human spirit are powerful enough to not be cast into hell immedietely (upon the death), and some require exorcisim to be cast into hell and removed from the Earth, as the evil human spirit will attach itself to a person or place that is cursed. Jesus performed such exorcisims here on Earth as explained in the Gospels.

for more information on examples of human spirit demons please read:

Begone Satan, by Fr. Carl Vogl, describes the 23-day exorcism of a woman in Earling, Iowa in 1928, which has become one of the most famous in the US. Truly startling. Contains some of the best evidence on possession and exorcism that exists.

An Exorcist Tells His Story by Gabriele Amorth

Evidence of Satan in the Modern World by Fr. Leon Christiani

And remember that only an ordained Catholic Priest can perform an exorcisim, but others can pray for deliverence.

Spiritual warfare is a dangerous thing to study and perform. Do not take it lightly. This is not entertainment. Peace.

as for becoming a demon when a person goes to hell:

Hell is a state of being, not a place. Once a human becomes evil and turns away from God, they are in a state of being called Hell. A mortal sin will cast a living person into Hell, and if one dies in that state I guess you can call them a damned soul - a demon?

Scriptures tell us that the “weeds/tares” (damned souls) will be among the “wheat” (undamned souls), and will be gathered up on the Last Day. Damned souls are free to roam.

You beat me to it. Demons and humans have seperate and different natures. As the first line in the Catholic Encyclopedia calls it: “In Scripture and in Catholic theology this word has come to mean much the same as devil and denotes one of the evil spirits or fallen angels” (Catholic Encyclopedia), there is no reason to go with “websters” definition of demons because we have a functional definition from the church.

Angels in heaven: Angel or Saint
Humans in heaven: Saints
Fallen Humans: the damned
Fallen Angels: Demons, devils

Humans do not take on supernatural power at death. A demon may take on the appearance of a dead person in order to deceive, or God may, through HIS power, allow a Saint to act on earth, but these are not fundamental to the human state of being. Just as we do not become angels if we are saved, we do not become demons if we are lost.

I don’t think anyone will be danged to be demons in heck.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.