Do consignations exempt one from sin as well as canon law?

A consignation can exempt a sin from canon law but does it exempt someone from the/a sin commited that is exempted from canon law?. I ask b/c my (current) understanding of it reminds me a bit of Medieval indulgences :ehh:.

I’ve never heard the term “consignation,” but it sounds like you are asking about a dispensation, where a person is excused from some obligation of Canon Law.

Canon Law are man-made rules (as opposed to Doctrine, which is defined by God). Catholics are bound by Canon Law, even though they are rules only, because we are obedient to the Church which has God-given authority to make rules (“What you bind [impose] on earth will be bound in heaven” [Matt 18:18]).

But the Church was also given authority to lift these obligations (Our Lord’s next words are, “And what you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven”).

If lawful Church authority excuses someone from some aspect of Canon Law then there is no sin in the act. For example, St. Patrick’s Day once took place on a Friday in Lent. A local Parish did a traditional corn beef & hash dinner, which would normally not be permitted on a Friday in Lent. My Bishop granted a dispensation for this event, so that (for this event only) it was permissible to eat meat.

Eating meat on Friday in Lent is not inherently sinful - it’s only sinful because there’s a man-made rule about it, and we’re supposed to respect rules as well as doctrine. The Bishop did not grant a license to sin - only a permission to disregard the man-made rule.

There’s no such thing as a dispensation from the moral effects of sin.

Thank you.That is what I meant:a dispensation…I initially thought that “consignations” (which I now know to call dispensations instead) were high profile things that could be given out only by the Pope.Would another example of a dispensation being given,would be how a priest from another denomination (say Anglicanism) is not celibate but has married and has children?.

Well, that particular dispensation does need to come from the Pope. In this particular case (Anglicanism), it came from St. John Paul the Great in Anglicanorum Coetibus.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a former Anglican.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.