Do Episcopalians/Anglicans use real wine?

Do Christians in the Anglican communion use real alcoholic wine, Or do they use grape juice like Protestant denominations do.

They use real wine. They even use the same wine suppliers that the RC's use.

Or sometimes other sources.

GKC

I don’t know about suppliers but I recall an Anglican military Padre telling me about his dispute with the Cadet Camp he was going to serve for a summer. He was told in no uncertain terms that the camp was ‘alcohol free’ and he replied that if they wanted him to have a Communion Service he couldn’t do it without wine.
“No, the cadets are not to have wine! The camp is alcohol-free.”
"Fine, I won’t give them wine, I’ll give them the Blood of Christ."
Once they understood that it was wine or no Padre, they relented.

I know that Anglican consecration doesn’t accomplish anything, but they believe it does.

That we do.

Most of us.

GKC

Anglicanus-Catholicus

Of course!

According to these two posts, I’m guessing it varies? :shrug:

[quote="followingtheway, post:7, topic:292168"]
According to these two posts, I'm guessing it varies? :shrug:

[/quote]

The suppliers vary, but it's always wine.

[quote="Phemie, post:8, topic:292168"]
The suppliers vary, but it's always wine.

[/quote]

Always. In so far as one can generalize about Anglicans, that one is true.

GKC

For the record, many other Protestants use real wine too. I wouldn’t try to guess whether more in America use wine or grape juice. I would guess that worldwide more use wine.

[quote="GKC, post:9, topic:292168"]
Always. In so far as one can generalize about Anglicans, that one is true.

GKC

[/quote]

I know of one Episcopal congregation that uses grape juice--they also don't use the Nicene Creed:p:o:eek::shrug:

I should have known. Mustn’t temper my cynicism. Anything is possible.

GKC

Edwin or GKC,
Do you see a growing use of “non-alcoholic” wine Anglican parishes? I’ve seen it a few Lutheran ones and I’m frankly uncomfortable with it.

Jon

I only know of one, at least in the Episcopal Church. Since I’m sure that this is a relatively recent phenomenon, perhaps it amounts to a “growing” trend:D.

But resistance to the practice spreading beyond extremely “creative” parishes like the one I have in mind is pretty strong, I think.

Communion of the unbaptized is an entirely different matter, alas. Forbidden by my bishop and not explicitly authorized by TEC as a whole, but a common practice in many places, and I believe that the last GC appointed a commission to study it (and the chances of that kind of process not resulting in the more “progressive” position being adopted are about the same as the chances of the SSPX ordaining women–i.e., even less than those of the Catholic Church ordaining women!).

For myself, I’ve never seen any Anglican parish that didn’t use wine to confect the sacrament.

But as I said to Edwin, I’m obviously not remembering my catch-phrase. Anything is possible, given the motley crew of Anglicanism.

GKC

The canons call for real wine. No exceptions.as with Catholics, one need only receive one of the two species. Most TEC parishes allow intinction.

[quote="Contarini, post:11, topic:292168"]
I know of one Episcopal congregation that uses grape juice--they also don't use the Nicene Creed:p:o:eek::shrug:

[/quote]

Really where is that, Virginia?

[quote="andrewstx, post:17, topic:292168"]
Really where is that, Virginia?

[/quote]

Morristown, New Jersey. (Yes, this is Bishop Spong's former diocese.)

Edwin

We use real wine (I don’t know who our supplier is) and bake our own unleavened bread, which is delicious. I’m glad we don’t use those hideous mass-produced tasteless wafers.

We also optionally make available grape juice for those who can’t have wine, and rice crackers for those with gluten allergies.

It seems that every Episcipalian church I have communed in used port. Some used wafers, and others used some sort of leavened bread. In our church we use wine, but have grape juice for those who do not wish to use alcohol. I bake the bread for communion. I have baked both leavened and unleavened bread. As with other denominations that believe in Real Presence, we believe that Christ is wholly present in either element, so even if you only take one, you have fully communed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.