Do Episcopalians pray the "Our Father" prayer in their worship service?

Just wondering since their leadership has gone all the way to the left and because many on the left say they don't like calling God Father.

Generalizing about any set of Anglicans is perilous. None the less, in general, and except for some hypothetical fringe parish or so, yes, Episcopalians say the Our Father.

GKC

Yes! Our church says it. At least when I attended regularly, every Mass it was said.

In the Church of England we call it the Lord's Prayer.

Our father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy Will be done, in earth as it is in heaven.Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

It is said in the Anglican Church = or at least where I go it is…In every Mass there is and I believe it is also said in Evensong and Morning Prayer too etc, More services than Mass.

We also include

For thine is the Kingdom,
The power and the Glory
For ever and for ever Amen…

Catholics say it that part too but not all in as though as it the same prayer. We say it all as the same prayer now that we have moved away from the Missal and back to the Church of England, Anglican Service it all the same prayer :thumbsup:

It is said in Morning/Evening Prayer.

GKC

Twice in fact. With and without doxology.

That may be a point of variability.

GKC

Variability? 1662 is hardly the fount of variety, haha.

True. But not all Anglicans use the 1662.

GKC

I used to very militant about it, but I have been to a number of Anglo Catholic parishes which use a very tasteful adaptation of Common Worship so I don’t really mind these days.

I use the US 1928 Book.

Though I’ve attended Mass using the 1549, 1662 and a couple of others, IIRC.

GKC

For the most part, I’d say yes, but Anglicanism is an extremely “broad tent”, ranging from Continuing Anglicans to Anglo-Catholics to heterodox and outright apostates. It’s a virtual certainty some say “Our Mother” or something similar instead, but, I’d say the vast majority of Episcopal churches do say the Our Father. (The same is probably done, or worse, at some liberal, dissident “Catholic” churches.)

It’s in the Book of Common Prayer, after all, in both versions I have - the 1662 and the 1928 - and I don’t think it was removed in 1979 with the latest revision. It’s in the Anglican liturgical rubrics.

Yep. A motley crew, Anglicans.

It’s in the 79 book, yes.

GKC

Ah. Hearing “motley crew” makes things seem right in the world. :smiley: You can only go so long without saying it.

Anna

I have the 79 version and it’s in there. I just looked. :slight_smile:

livingwordunity,

As others have indicated, Anglicanism in the Episcopal Church is very diverse.

I attend an Anglo Catholic Episcopal Church. We use the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. We do call God “Father” and the “Our Father”/Lord’s Prayer is part of our liturgy.

Our liturgy is very similar to a Catholic Mass.

See The Holy Eucharist: Rite Two, pp.355-366

Anna

Only a few here who still look for me to say it, I bet.

GKC

You do have some faithful fans, of which I am one. :smiley:

Anna

I am honored.

GKC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.