"Do Fathers Matter?"

nytimes.com/2014/06/02/books/do-fathers-matter-shows-why-they-do.html?ref=international-home&_r=0

Sounds like an interesting book and a promising field for future study. I think it’s hard to argue against the idea that having a good dad is an excellent way to help foster future happiness in children.

Mine did!

“Do Fathers Matter?”

Yes, next question?

But to elaborate, just in society, hasn’t there been an epidemic in America of single parent households at least possibly among some sectors of the population? I’d have to say, it looks like there have been some negative consequences in general and on balance. Some single parents homes do well but it does seem a number of troubled youths come from one parent homes.

I think there have been analogies made for both the effects of good dads verses bad or abusive dads. Look at St. Pope JP II and how his father carried on after he lost his mother and was one of the biggest reasons he evetually become a priest. Pope Emeritis Bendict the 16th likewise had a father that had a big influence on him and his brother becoming priests. I also think of St. Theresa of Liseux and how her father carried on after the lose of her mother and was a big reason she became a carmelite nun.

Then you look at some of the most destructive men and their ideas and how their abusive fathers may have had a hand in it. Hilter, Stalin, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx all had horrible fathers. Martin Luther had a harsh and abusive dad and the diffuculty with authority especially the Pope may have lead to his path of splitting with the Catholic church.

My father was easily one of the greatest influences on me as I grew up; the fact that people even think the subject is in need of study shows how moronic and blind our society has become.

Yes, I agree to a point but look at how our culture glorifies single mothers and that is trumpeted as they can do it all and dads don’t matter. Studies like this is a start or a focal point to try and turn the tide against this stupidity.

I agree that the secular world needs these studies, sorry if that wasn’t clear. They need all the help they can get pulling their heads out of their bums and giving God’s design the respect it deserves. Hopefully more of these will come out and open their eyes, though I imagine all the hardcore feminists will try to discredit the study, calling it bias and whatnot. It’s a sad state when people refuse to accept what’s plainly clear to even the youngest and least educated among us. Sadly, knowledge doesn’t necessarily equal intelligence or wisdom, if our current society is any indicator.

I totally understand. It is similar to studies done to prove men and women are different.
One wants to say to this Really? Seriously? . Even though this is evident even to a 4 year old, stuff like this makes Time Magazine cover and the insanity continues and the so called smarts ones are in reality the biggest dummies of them all that they have to do a “study” to prove men and women are different.

I love my dad SO MUCH. :slight_smile:

Mr. Raeburn writes that “as recently as a generation ago, in the 1970s, most psychologists” believed that “with regard to infants, especially, fathers were thought to have little or no role to play.” When it came to toddlers and older children, too, the great parenting theories of the 20th century placed fathers in the background. Freud famously exalted, or damned, the mother for her influence. John Bowlby’s attachment theory, which he developed beginning in the 1940s, focused on the mother or “mother-figure.”

When the pioneering researcher Michael E. Lamb became interested in the role of fathers, in the mid-1970s, “there wasn’t much evidence for the irrelevancy of fathers” — it was just assumed, Mr. Raeburn writes. And “there wasn’t a lot of data to suggest they were relevant, either.”

Aside from a few remarks about his own second marriage, and second go-round at being a dad, Mr. Raeburn is less chatty. “Do Fathers Matter?” is paragraph after paragraph of scholarly articles summarized, a Psycinfo and Jstor database clip job. It’s not for grad students, but it’s also not for the beach.

So, after condemning earlier psychological research, the book expects us to believe newer psychological research? Should we trust common sense, or should we take our guidance from the latest theories?

Well, my dad had a huge impact. That’s where I get all of my best and worst qualities. :slight_smile: He forced me to read Proust and watch Monty Python. Blame him if I ever seem a little confused.

Yes fathers matter, for boys and girls. If fathers didn’t matter God would not have created 2 parent families. :wink: Both are necessary. Fathers balance out the mother’s weaknesses and mothers balance out the father’s weaknesses. :slight_smile: Men & women think and do things differently and kids need both influences in their life.

This article goes to show that fathers are just as important as mothers. God created Adam and Eve as the first family for a good reason. Children need both a father and a mother.

That said, there are two points in the article that I disagree with. The first is that older fathers should get “genetic counseling”. No, I do not believe that they should because this often leads to contraceptive, sterilization, and abortifacient or abortion usage. However, if the father is strictly pro-life and against those things and just wants to get “genetic counseling” to see if his children would be at risk for such things then I think that is justified. If they are going to use it so that way prenatal therapy can be used to help children at risk for genetic disorders then that is also justified so long as the sanctity of life is always respected.

The second point I disagree with is where they say a child with “two mothers” can grow up just as happy as any other child. That is wrong and it seems like and endorsement of “gay marriage”. Children need both a father and a mother. If it wasn’t so then God wouldn’t have created the first family as a mother and father with children: Adam and Eve plus their children.

I read a survey once that stated that 75% of children who are raised in a home in which the father does not practice a faith, will grow-up to not practice a faith. Conversely, 75% of children who have fathers who are faithful followers of a faith, will grow-up to be faithful followers of a faith. THAT is reason enough to say fathers matter.

The presence of a loving father and mother, in a stable loving marriage, cannot be underestimated.

Yes! Fathers matter!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.