Do hacked e-mails show global-warming fraud?

Controversy has exploded onto the Internet after a major global-warming advocacy center in the UK had its e-mail system hacked and the data published on line. The director of the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit confirmed that the e-mails are genuine — and Australian publication Investigate and the Australian Herald-Sun report that those e-mails expose a conspiracy to hide detrimental information from the public that argues against global warming

The internet is on fire this morning with confirmation computers at one of the world’s leading climate research centres were hacked, and the information released on the internet.

A 62 megabyte zip file, containing around 160 megabytes of emails, pdfs and other documents, has been confirmed as genuine by the head of the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit, Dr Phil Jones.

In an exclusive interview with Investigate magazine’s TGIF Edition, Jones confirms his organization has been hacked, and the data flying all over the internet appears to have come from his organisation.

“It was a hacker. We were aware of this about three or four days ago that someone had hacked into our system and taken and copied loads of data files and emails.”
One of the most damning e-mails published comes from Dr. Jones himself. In an e-mail from almost exactly ten years ago, Jones appears to discuss a method of overlaying data of temperature declines with repetitive, false data of higher temperatures:
To: ray bradley ,mann@[snipped], mhughes@
[snipped]
Subject: Diagram for WMO Statement
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:31:15 +0000
Cc: [email]k.briffa@[snipped],t.osbo[/email]rn@[snipped]
Dear Ray, Mike and Malcolm,

Once Tim’s got a diagram here we’ll send that either later today or first thing tomorrow. I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd [sic] from1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline. Mike’s series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.

Thanks for the comments, Ray.
Cheers, Phil
Prof. Phil Jones
Climatic Research Unit
hotair.com/archives/2009/11/20/do-hacked-e-mails-show-global-warming-fraud/

More here:
wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/19/breaking-news-story-hadley-cru-has-apparently-been-hacked-hundreds-of-files-released/

Global warming appears to have stalled. Climatologists are puzzled as to why average global temperatures have stopped rising over the last 10 years. Some attribute the trend to a lack of sunspots, while others explain it through ocean currents.
At least the weather in Copenhagen is likely to be cooperating. The Danish Meteorological Institute predicts that temperatures in December, when the city will host the United Nations Climate Change Conference, will be one degree above the long-term average.
Otherwise, however, not much is happening with global warming at the moment. The Earth’s average temperatures have stopped climbing since the beginning of the millennium, and it even looks as though global warming could come to a standstill this year. Read the rest of this entry »

The fact that there are 162 megabytes of files makes it extremely unlikely that they are all fake; the effort needed to create so many files of different types would be immense.

One possibility is that most of it is genuine and only a few damning files were faked. However , according to many of the comments on these sites, a lot of the file info checks outs - IP addresses in the emails, email addresses, knowledge of temperature science and programming languages, file creation dates, that I think the entire thing may be genuine.

I have no doubt that the real agenda behind a lot of the global warming / climate change hype is a loathing of America and our relatively comfortable lifestyle. Its proponents want to use the power of government to tax us into what they deem a more "sustainable" (i.e. lower) quality of life.

[quote="TedDC, post:4, topic:177028"]
I have no doubt that the real agenda behind a lot of the global warming / climate change hype is a loathing of America and our relatively comfortable lifestyle. Its proponents want to use the power of government to tax us into what they deem a more "sustainable" (i.e. lower) quality of life.

[/quote]

Yep!:thumbsup:

This is very big, so look for the MSM to ignore it and/or spin it in such a way that the damaging information is buried.

examiner.com/x-28973-Essex-County-Conservative-Examiner~y2009m11d19-Hadley-CRU-hacked-with-release-of-hundreds-of-docs-and-emails

The University of East Anglia’s Hadley Climatic Research Centre appears to have suffered a security breach earlier today, when an unknown hacker apparently downloaded 1079 e-mails and 72 documents of various types and published them to an anonymous FTP server. These files appear to contain highly sensitive information that, if genuine, could prove extremely embarrassing to the authors of the e-mails involved. Those authors include some of the most celebrated names among proponents of the theory of anthropogenic global warming (AGW).

… ]

Some of the most embarrassing e-mails are attributed to Philip Jones, the Director of the CRU; Keith Briffa, his assistant; Michael E. Mann of the University of Virginia; Malcolm Hughes at the University of Arizona; and others. One such e-mail makes references to the famous “hockey-stick” graph published by Mann in the journal Nature:
I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline. Mike’s series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.

Hmmm it does seem the emails are real however that doesn;t mean they could be taken way out of context and what not. For instance the email about ten years ago from Jones. bigcitylib.blogspot.com/

And this comment from here may clear up another email scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2009/11/aap_reports_from_the_future.php#comments

**A lot is being made of "hide the decline".

I am pretty sure I know what that must be referring to. This is unofficial; I have heard nothing on it from any of the parties involved.

However, it is no secret at all that there is indeed spurious decline in proxy based temperature records from tree rings in the Northern Hemisphere. There's an extensive literature on it; there's no doubt at all about a decline, and that it is spurious. A recent review paper on this spurious decline is D'Arrigo et al (2007) On the ’divergence problem’ in northern forests: A review of the tree-ring evidence and possible causes, in Global and Planetary Change Volume 60, Issues 3-4, February 2008, Pages 289-305; doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2007.03.004

The email in question appears to be speaking of the WMO statement made in 1999: you can see it here: On the Status of Global Climate in 1999. Sure enough; it does have a diagram, showing the three paleorecords described in the email, and if you look at the paper by Briffa where the decline is present, is explicit in the paper and discussed in earlier papers... this is the "divergence problem".

Basically, a temperature record is obtained by combining the current instrument record with the proxy records from the past. There's nothing underhand about removing the spurious decline -- it's there in the papers, it is extensively studied, and that's why that record can't be extended into the latter half of the twentieth century.

The speed at which people picked out this email and trumpeted it all over the net without any apparent effort to figure out what was being discussed is despicable. It's not a hoax or a deception; it's a simple repeat of what is already completely open and clear in the scientific literature; and it exposes -- yet again -- the so-called "skeptics" as just the opposite. Credulous nitwits who jump on any possible hint of a problem as a grand hoax. Sheesh**

realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack/#more-1853 And this is what realclimate had to say.

But really as time passes the more and more it seems that these emails are being taken out of context.

This really is very big news. It does seem to be “catching fire” (sorry for the pun) on the internet. I agree the MSM will try to bury it. My guess is that the MSM will concentrate more on the hackers than the actual AGW deception.

Send the article(s) to everybody you know. I’ve emailed the links to folks I think will find it interesting. If enough people get talking about it across the country the MSM typically tries to play catch-up. The ACORN corruption is a good example. Maybe someone will tell Charlie Gibson about it too :slight_smile:

I am a member of a forum which is the hangout of a lot of scientists and engineers with a lot of knowledge about AGW, pro and con. These guys for the most part have conservative or libertarian political views. In the past, they agree that climate change is happening; their issues have been with the push to enact leftist policies under the excuse that those policies will do anything. They have in the past noted some problems with the data and with how some "scientists" are all too willing to sacrifice their objectivity in favor of pushing the leftist agenda. It's interesting to see their reactions to this, to say the least.

Examiner.com

Hadley CRU hacked with release of hundreds of docs and emails

The University of East Anglia's Hadley Climatic Research Centre appears to have suffered a security breach earlier today, when an unknown hacker apparently downloaded 1079 e-mails and 72 documents of various types and published them to an anonymous FTP server. These files appear to contain highly sensitive information that, if genuine, could prove extremely embarrassing to the authors of the e-mails involved. Those authors include some of the most celebrated names among proponents of the theory of anthropogenic global warming (AGW).

Some of the most embarrassing e-mails are attributed to Philip Jones, the Director of the CRU; Keith Briffa, his assistant; Michael E. Mann of the University of Virginia; Malcolm Hughes at the University of Arizona; and others. One such e-mail makes references to the famous "hockey-stick" graph published by Mann in the journal Nature:
I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline. Mike's series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.

The emphasis in the above quote was added.

As embarrassing as the e-mails are, some of the documents are more embarrassing. They include a five-page PDF document titled The Rules of the Game, that appears to be a primer for propagating the AGW message to the average subject/resident of the United Kingdom. The document suggests that it is a precis of a longer document housed at the Web site of the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=399172

In an embarrassing blow to the movement to combat global warming, hackers have posted hundreds of e-mails from a world-renowned British institute that show researchers colluding to exaggerate warming and undermine skeptics.

University of East Anglia officials confirmed the Climate Research Unit’s e-mails were hacked, but were unable to confirm the veracity of posted content, according to British and American news reports. Skeptics of human-caused warming, who note temperatures appear to have stopped climbing, called the news explosive.

bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1213483&srvc=business&position=recent

I sure hope this is real and not fabricated.

Was it hacked or was there a secret whistleblower?

Hackers broke into the electronic files of one of the world’s foremost climate research centers this week and posted an array of e-mails in which prominent scientists engaged in a blunt discussion of global warming research and disparaged climate-change skeptics.

The skeptics have seized upon e-mails stolen from the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia in Britain as evidence that scientific data have been rigged to make it appear as if humans are causing global warming. The researchers, however, say the e-mails have been taken out of context and merely reflect an honest exchange of ideas.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112004093_pf.html

[quote="estesbob, post:15, topic:177028"]
Hackers broke into the electronic files of one of the world's foremost climate research centers this week and posted an array of e-mails in which prominent scientists engaged in a blunt discussion of global warming research and disparaged climate-change skeptics.

The skeptics have seized upon e-mails stolen from the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia in Britain as evidence that scientific data have been rigged to make it appear as if humans are causing global warming. The researchers, however, say the e-mails have been taken out of context and merely reflect an honest exchange of ideas.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112004093_pf.html

[/quote]

Although I should try to resist deception by the yellow journalist of whatever age and ilk, my 1979 Encyclopedia Britannica says that the present warming trend began twenty thousand years ago... This was from an article on glaciation. The Encyclopedia publishers probably didn't have any agenda to promote, but who knows? There is lots of evidence of major loss of glacier volume across the globe nowadays. There are large political and economic interests at war on the issue of global warming.

This being the feast of Christ the King, our priest told us last evening of the characteristics of His kingdom which is not of this world. Pilate asked Him if He were a king... The characteristics of His kingdom were said to be truth, justice, peace, love, grace, etc. (I wish I'd had a recording, it was a great sermon) Pilate also asked Him, "What is truth?" An example of the importance of truth was given in which a Polish saint was on a pilgrimage to Rome from Poland and was beaten and robbed. The robbers asked if that was all he had when he gave them all that he thought he had. Later, while making his way along the road he found that someone providing for his trip had sewn in gold coins right into some part of his cloak and he, not wishing to have a lie on his conscience, hurried back to the robbers and told them he had more. They were taken aback by his total honesty and gave him back all his money! Keep on searching for and demanding the truth. Keep your eyes wide open all the time as Johnny Cash sang! AMDG CR&Kin

[quote="estesbob, post:12, topic:177028"]
In an embarrassing blow to the movement to combat global warming, hackers have posted hundreds of e-mails from a world-renowned British institute that show researchers colluding to exaggerate warming and undermine skeptics.

University of East Anglia officials confirmed the Climate Research Unit’s e-mails were hacked, but were unable to confirm the veracity of posted content, according to British and American news reports. Skeptics of human-caused warming, who note temperatures appear to have stopped climbing, called the news explosive.

bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1213483&srvc=business&position=recent

[/quote]

Very interesting, although, is there any way to see the actual e-mails? I might have missed a link or something, or maybe the e-mails aren't available.

This was priceless: "Scientists say "trick" not just to mean deception. They mean it as a clever way of doing something- a shortcut can be a trick."

True, but I'd love to see how it's used. Fudge can mean a gooey dessert or cleverly adjust your data, a short cut, if you will.:eek:

[quote="ricmat, post:18, topic:177028"]

[/quote]

Thanks, ricmat! Sure kinda looks like the deceptive kind of hiding & tricking as opposed to the simply clever kind of hiding & tricking...

I have followed this story since the 20th and have found not too surprisingly that there is little to no real scandal here. The so called scandal seems to mainly be a result of miss understanding what the scientists are actually saying in the emails.

But anyway realclimate has a good response not to mention there is even more answers in the massive and ever growing comment thread. realclimate.org/

And greenfyre has compiled a nice list of different replies as well. greenfyre.wordpress.com/

So sorry to stop the parade so to speak.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.