Do I get double the graces if I receive Jesus twice: 1 Latin mass 1 english in 1 day?

Do I get double the graces if I receive Jesus twice: 1 Latin mass 1 english in 1 day? A priest said receiving Jesus twice in one day didn't give more graces then receiving him once a day because the readings are the same so it's the same mass. He said that I could go to funeral masses to get the graces twice in a day.
Since the readings are different in the Latin and english masses can I get graces from each time I receive Jesus in the day? What about if I go to a communion service or a different rite?

Thanks.

[quote="Loyal_J, post:1, topic:305713"]
Do I get double the graces if I receive Jesus twice: 1 Latin mass 1 english in 1 day? A priest said receiving Jesus twice in one day didn't give more graces then receiving him once a day because the readings are the same so it's the same mass. He said that I could go to funeral masses to get the graces twice in a day.
Since the readings are different in the Latin and english masses can I get graces from each time I receive Jesus in the day? What about if I go to a communion service or a different rite?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Not sure about the graces, but remember, you can only receive twice in one day, and at least one must be during a Mass.

God Bless

Is it a sin to be greedy for grace? ;)

Once should be enough to nourish you spiritually throughout the day. Twice is allowed. Presumably the Church made the rule against receiving more than twice to prevent too much excess in this matter.

[quote="stevekehl, post:3, topic:305713"]
Is it a sin to be greedy for grace? ;)

[/quote]

Ultimately no, but there is such a thing as excessive desire for spiritual experiences.

Thanks.

[/quote]

According to what the priest told you, yes you would receive the Graces twice. I don't doubt what he says.

Assisting two Masses in one day surely builds Faith, so I say do it if you can :)

Thanks.

[/quote]

The two per day limit is to avoid giving alarm by not receiving communion should you happen to go to two masses in one day, such as a funeral on a Saturday morning and then attending the vigil mass at night. This way you have some flexibility. I would not receive twice per day on a regular basis. Priests, for instance, are ordinarily permitted to celebrate mass once per day because it potentially a spiritually and physically exhausting experience. Attending mass twice in one day, you are not necessarily paying full attention during both masses, and not necessarily discerning the body and body each time.

Thanks.

[/quote]

A) Grace has nothing to do with the readings of the Mass vis-a-vis reception of the Eucharist

B) Grace is immaterial. So, how exactly do you compute a quantity of grace? Grace is not quantitative.

No.

[quote="1ke, post:8, topic:305713"]
A) Grace has nothing to do with the readings of the Mass vis-a-vis reception of the Eucharist

[/quote]

I disagree. Of course there is grace in hearing the word of God.

B) Grace is immaterial. So, how exactly do you compute a quantity of grace? Grace is not quantitative.

[/quote]

This I agree on :thumbsup:

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:10, topic:305713"]
I disagree. Of course there is grace in hearing the word of God.:

[/quote]

I think you misunderstood. The OP stated whether or not you receive "double" grace when receiving the Eucharist the second time was dependent upon whether the readings were the same or diferent. This is clearly not true.

The eucharist confers grace regardless of the readings. But receiving the Eucharist twice in one day does not give you "more" grace than if you receive once any more than receiving the body and blood convey "more" grace than either species alone.

This is a serious misunderstanding of both grace and the sacraments.

[quote="1ke, post:11, topic:305713"]
I think you misunderstood. The OP stated whether or not you receive "double" grace when receiving the Eucharist the second time was dependent upon whether the readings were the same or diferent. This is clearly not true.

The eucharist confers grace regardless of the readings. But receiving the Eucharist twice in one day does not give you "more" grace than if you receive once any more than receiving the body and blood convey "more" grace than either species alone.

[/quote]

A solid explanation and well said.:thumbsup:
The Eucharist is not a magic pill or energy packet, a la video games. One can receive twice in one day, but the greatest benefit from assisting at two Masses in one day probably comes from hearing the readings again, singing the hymns again and hearing two homilies which, if they are both good, can never hurt!

[quote="1ke, post:11, topic:305713"]

[/quote]

This is why the limit was set in place to begin with.

A person may receive communion at maximum 3 times in one day, under the following conditions:

The second reception MUST take place within the context of the Mass or Viaticum (ie: not a Liturgy of the Word and Communion Service.). The third time may ONLY be received as Viaticum.

I heard that the limit was put in place because people in south america or somewhere went at the end of mass many times to receive Jesus.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:13, topic:305713"]
This is why the limit was set in place to begin with.

A person may receive communion at maximum 3 times in one day, under the following conditions:

The second reception MUST take place within the context of the Mass or Viaticum (ie: not a Liturgy of the Word and Communion Service.). The third time may ONLY be received as Viaticum.

[/quote]

But you may not receive Viaticum twice in one day.

God Bless

[/quote]

And I also believe that attending a Mass other than a regular weekly mass (such as a wedding mass or ordination mass) that is on a Saturday evening or on Sunday counts as fulfilling the Sunday obligation even though the readings would not be the regular weekly readings. Similarly, attending an Eastern Rite mass would also "count", even though the readings may be on a different lectionary schedule.

Are there any cases anywhere in the CC where the specific readings affect validity?

[quote="x1980x, post:16, topic:305713"]
And I also believe that attending a Mass other than a regular weekly mass (such as a wedding mass or ordination mass) that is on a Saturday evening or on Sunday counts as fulfilling the Sunday obligation even though the readings would not be the regular weekly readings. Similarly, attending an Eastern Rite mass would also "count", even though the readings may be on a different lectionary schedule.

Are there any cases anywhere in the CC where the specific readings affect validity?

[/quote]

You are correct in para 1; any Catholic Mass between 4 PM Saturday and midnight Sunday counts. Another good example is that in the 1962 Missal, and before, weekdays that didn't have a particular feast used the readings from the previous Sundays. Repeating the readings had no effect on validity or graces received.

Not to my knowledge. It may be illicit for a priest to substitute completely unrelated readings, but it has no effect on validity.

God Bless

I'm not sure grace is something measurable in quantity or units.

It is something supernatural. When you have it, you'll know it. Your life will be transformed.

It's also something that you have to open yourself up to, by letting go and putting all your trust in God.

We ask for graces sometimes when we pray therefore although we already have grace we can get more.

We are required to go to mass every Sunday and Vatican II wants us to receive in masses we participate in if possible. Why would they want that if we got all the graces we need from one reception of the Eucharist?

[quote="Loyal_J, post:19, topic:305713"]
We ask for graces sometimes when we pray therefore although we already have grace we can get more.

We are required to go to mass every Sunday and** Vatican II wants us to receive in masses we participate in if possible**. Why would they want that if we got all the graces we need from one reception of the Eucharist?

[/quote]

Huh? :confused:

Are you sure you're not confusing that with must be present for the whole Mass if you take Communion? I read somewhere that it got to be a problem with people going to Mass early, then race to another parish or two or three or more just to receive Communion again, so they'd get more Grace. Thus the limit was placed as well as specifying that you must participate in the Mass to receive.

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.

Can. 918 It is highly recommended that the faithful receive holy communion during the eucharistic celebration itself. It is to be administered outside the Mass, however, to those who request it for a just cause, with the liturgical rites being observed.
...Can. 920 §1. After being initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year.

§2. This precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at another time during the year.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P39.HTM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.