Do I have to attend Mass on my son's wedding day?

I was raised Catholic and left the Church at age 20. I came back a couple of years ago, but this means that I raised my children as Baptists. One of my sons is going to be married in a Baptist church on August 15, the Feast of the Assumption. If the wedding and reception times conflict too much with Mass times, would I still be obligated to attend Mass? I am not looking for an excuse to get out of it. I really want to go to Mass that day, as it is also the anniversary of my first Mass as a reverting Catholic after nearly 30 years of absence.

Fortunately for you, the Feast of the Assumption falls on a Saturday this year, which means that it will not be a holy day of obligation in the United States:

Whenever January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, or August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption, or November 1, the solemnity of All Saints, falls on a Saturday or on a Monday, the precept to attend Mass is abrogated (source).

If you like, you could attend Mass on Friday, August 14, on the vigil of the Assumption.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.