Do I have to go to confession every couple of days?

As I strive to become a better person, a more perfect Catholic, and more loving in Christ…I still fall into the forceful habits of the old person I am trying to change. If I had to confess my Mortals sins immediately, I would be in confession every Wednesday and Saturday. Is this what I should do, or is it enough to be sincerely sorry, with love for God, and intend to go to confesion once a month (until I can get a hold of myself) to ask for forgiveness through the sacrament of penance?

You really should take this up with a good solid Priest.

I know that temptations can come upon us and I see that you are trying very hard to change. We should try and be in Mortal sin for the least possible time we can be. Ideally we should trive never to commit it.

Perhaps if you go to the same priest over and over you might finally think now if I do this again I’ll have to go back to that priest again, it might be easier to stop. It’s helped a lot of people.

I’d really encourahe you to prayfully read Luke 12:41 -48.

40 You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour." 41 Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for everyone?” 42 And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and prudent manager whom his master will put in charge of his slaves, to give them their allowance of food at the proper time? 43 Blessed is that slave whom his master will find at work when he arrives. 44 Truly I tell you, he will put that one in charge of all his possessions. 45 But if that slave says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and if he begins to beat the other slaves, men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk, 46 the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour that he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and put him with the unfaithful. 47 That slave who knew what his master wanted, but did not prepare himself or do what was wanted, will receive a severe beating.

don’t be afraid to seek help in this issue.

The answer to your question is that if you die in the state of mortal sin, your soul will be lost. One of things you promise in your Act of Contrition is to promise to amend your life. One of the biggest challenges is to identify your own particular occasions of sin … the persons, places, and things that start you on the decline into sin whether it be the internet, movies, TV, places, or relationships, and then to cut them out of your life. As recommended, a good priest will help you identify the dangerous areas in your life and how to build up a resistance to their allure.

I’m adding you to my prayer list. God bless.

I understand that Pope JPII went to confession daily. So there’s certainly nothing wrong going every couple of days. :slight_smile:

But I am sure he did not mortally sin every day…what he did, if he really did it, was devotional confession. To go to confession everyday because you are committing the same mortal sin every day shows that either the person needs professional help to get over whatever compulsion he has or else he is abusing the sacrament so that he can continue to sin but not have to live with the guilt. As someone wrote, in confession we say we will avoid sin. I think we need to bring back the ORder of Penitents…

I don’t think it was daily - and while I’m no judge of his state of soul I doubt it would invariably be for mortal sins every time.

The first question to the frequent mortal sinner is - how long have you been striving to conquer these mortal sins? It’s not an overnight process, and I know personally it took a number of months of frequent confession before I really started improving.

Secondly - do talk about your sin with your priest. It may be that you have a deeply-rooted sinful habit at this stage, and force of habit possibly lessens your culpability to the point where, for you, it is not a mortal sin. Not that you shouldn’t strive to conquer even habitual venial sins, but it does mean you don’t need to rush to confession every single time.

As has been suggested, you really need to look at what it is that is your personal ‘occasion of sin’. Keep a journal if necessary - every time you fall into mortal sin think about what you were doing and thinking in the day or so beforehand, and especially around the time you sinned, that contributed.

Also keep up your prayer life, in season and out, but especially when tempted. Ask your guardian angel, the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Virgin to give you guidance and protection in regards your particular sin. Concentrate on each day one at a time - try just to keep without sin for that one day without worrying about the following days.

Though not required it is OK to go to confession daily if only for venial sins. Maybe that’s what JP2 did.

Pope Pius X went to confession daily and he is the most recent pope to be canonized a saint.

I’m not advocating daily confession for everyone–a person should discuss frequency of confession with their confessor.

If one does not fall into scrupulosity and their confessor agrees then daily or frequent confession might be OK for some people.

In any event confession for mortal sin is always appropriate regardless of the frequency–course if one is frequently committing mortal sin then there is a problem.

And a good way to avoid mortal sin is to always in prayer confess your venial sins directly to God.

If you’re on the level - and are repeating these offenses several times every week - you should get a hold of yourself right now.

You may want to take a few days of from all this sinning and determine if you’re actually involved in genuine MORTAL sin.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.” [Catechism of the Catholic Church]

Analyze your routine. Seek professional help if you must. Identify any and all external factors that contribute to the problem. Determine which are occupational, personal, recreational. Expunge them from your life. Make a good confession - to a true priest - as often as necessary.

Pray more.

As someone has already mentioned, if you die in the state of Mortal Sin, then the Catholic church believes that your soul is lost (there are lots of details, which I suggest you look up if you feel you need more info). Until then however, the easiest way to answer your question is if you are willing to live with this risk after having commited a mortal sin.

There other posts are also correct in the sense that if you find yourself committing the same sins again and again, then perhaps it is time for you to see assistance in dealing with the problem. Having a spiritual director would be of immense help since it not only allows your S.D. to give you advice, but also provides a sense of accountability. A S.D is generally also your regular confessor (though not necessarily), and you may find that this will help you in your quest to be free from sin.

That is not to say you shouldn’t continue to go to confession in the meantime, even if you find yourself confessing the same sins time after time. Because time after time, God does forgive you so long as you go with the right intentions.

Finally, as I always say, God waits for lost sheep, and therefore the Holy Mother Church waits. In turn priests all over the world wait. Hearing confessions is not a chore for priests, and going to confession is never bad. If anything it is something to be celebrated. So by all means, go as often as you can, I’m sure that there are definately priests around who are willing to hear them as often as necessary.

Thank you everyone. I feel the Holy Spirit at work in me, as he is with all of you: my brothers and sisters in Christ. I seek God’s love and mercy, and I find it in the faithful and the Church. My soul, redeemed and washed in baptism, purified by the Consoler at confirmation, and filled with life in each and every Eucharist is being drawn to a better life. He is truly the bread of life. I will eat the flesh and drink the blood of the one true LORD, Jesus Christ, my Savior.

God bless you all,

Peace

Go to confession when necessary (though you can go more frequently than that). If you have trouble staying away from a particular sin you **must **avoid even the near occasion of that sin. Change your routine. It’s not enough to stop committing a particular sin. You have to fill that place with something else. Remember, after having one demon cast out, he may return to the ‘empty house’ with 7 more demons bigger and badder than him “and the last state of the man is worse than the first” (Matthew 12:45)

And did I mention…God bless you!

Good post.

Yes, you should never assume that those standing in confession lines are in mortal sin, although nowadays you can make a confession to a priest in a more relaxed atmosphere if he’s okay with it. His office or in a hallway is valid too. And you can go simply to relieve some stress, stress that would otherwise lead into some old bad habits or something like that.

Personally, besides having my sins forgiven, I know that after every confession the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulder. But that’s me and I thank God for the gift of confession.

If you die in a state of mortal sin you go to hell so I’d recommend confessing at the first available opportunity after sinning mortally. Plus the Catholic Church requires sacramental confession before receiving the Eucharist so if you’d like to not stay seated a lot during communion time wait. Don’t wait. :nope:

My own experience is that I have only the desire to not sin (free will), but am a weak person and cannot (will not?) stop sinning by force of will alone. I get blind-sided and lose my patience is often the case.Once a month confession was not often enough for me, so lately once a week is working better for me so far. Not only am I held accountable to my conscience frequently, but great amounts of strength, perseverance, and graces needed are obtained. For me I picture Jesus in that box with a basin and a wash cloth. Also this allows for more frequent reception of Holy Communion with Him. These plus the Holy Rosary daily are helpful for me.

As much as I would like to spend the largest possible amount of time in a state of grace, I mainly try to ensure that, when I sin, I get to confession before mass. I don’t see the need to go to confession more than one a week.

Going to confession too often can lead to either presumption or scrupulosity. Not that it necessarily does, but they are both things to watch out for.

You should take this up with your confessor, of course, but my feeling is that upping your prayer life and going to confession at most once a week is more reasonable.

If you are committing mortal sins that frequently ask the priest the next time in confession some tips on getting rid of the temptations. However, when in the state of mortal sin, going to communion in a sacrilege so go whenever necessary before receiving communion.

Breaking bad habits that lead to/are mortal sin is extremely difficult. Part of that amending your life thing is doing your best to rid sin from your life. You may fail and you may fail often. It may take years to rid yourself of even one sin. However, you must make it your duty as a follower of Christ to work on it and eliminate your sins. Confession is the first step. Go to Confession as often as you can, it’s always a good thing!

I think the first step is to truly learn to hate the sin. Being sorry because you offended God is good, but we must also learn to come to hate the sin. This helps us to move to push ourselves even more to rid ourselves of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.