Do I have to go to confession for mortal sins?

Or can I ask God for forgiveness via the act of prayer and meditation?

You need to go to confession for mortal sins. For venial sins you just need perfect contrition.

Mortal sin…confession, that’s it.

I’d make it a priority and a lot of parishes are holding reconciliation services this time of year with lots of priests hearing confession, so find a priest and go.:thumbsup:

Just a quick corrrection…

For venial sins, imperfect contrition is sufficient. And reception of Holy Communion actually brings forgiveness of venial sins.

You are bang on with the need to go to confession for mortal sins, however. :thumbsup:

God bless you!

Gertie

Confession is the ordinary means a Catholic seeks forgiveness of God.

tee

Your venial sins can be forgiven without confession if you have perfect contrition. Sorry I should have clarified.

You don’t have to “do anything” as you have free will. Or you can just sit at home and “think” about It. It only sounds as if you are bearing a heavy cross that you can only resolve by going to confession. You DO need confession for mortal sins.

Mortal sins must be confessed. :yup:

And don’t worry about shocking the priest with what you did, either. :nope:

:thumbsup:

No, that doesn’t seem right. Mortal sins can be forgiven outside of confession if one has perfect contrition (as long as one later goes to confession when he is able). Venial sins are forgiven through prayer, attendance at Mass, or reception of the Eucharist (or absolution in confession).

Venial sins can be forgiven in other ways too. That’s right.

Okay. Now will you please answer me as to why we must go to confession to ask for the forgiveness of mortal sins? Also…Protestants will point to the verse about Christ being the only mediator between God and Man. How can I refute that?

John 20:
21 - He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.
22 - When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
23 - Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Mortal sins are so bad you need a sacrament to get it off your soul. Idon’t actually know the exact answer to that question.

If you are scared about what the priest thinks don’t. I’m sure he has heard it before and he has probably heard things that are a lot worse than your sins

In Matthew 16:19, Jesus tells Peter, “whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven.” The Church has ‘bound’ us: for forgiveness of mortal sin, we must approach the sacrament of reconciliation.

Also…Protestants will point to the verse about Christ being the only mediator between God and Man. How can I refute that?

Refute it? Of course not. Explain it? Yes. Christ himself, in John 20:23, told his apostles, “whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” If Christ didn’t think that His command didn’t violate His “sole mediatorship between God and man,” why would we presume to tell Him that He was wrong? :shrug:

And for that matter:

How is a priest to know whether to forgive or to retain a penitent’s sin unless the penitent tells him him his sin (ie: confesses)?

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.