Do I have to respond at the baptism?

Hi everyone… hoping for an answer to a problem I face…

We [my husband and I - my husband is Catholic] are having our son Christened on Easter Sunday. I want him Christened, but it wasn’t necessarily into the Catholic faith… it is this way because my husband asked for it to be so, which is fine by me. However… I’ve been doing some research over the past week or so and I’ve come across several websites that state we as the parents and Godparents must reply to 3 questions asked by the Priest with “I trust in Him”. Problem I have with this is that I don’t believe in Jesus as the son of God.

I believe in God. I always have done, even as a little child, even when I didn’t really understand why or how. But regarding Jesus as his Holy Son… I don’t accept this as truth.

I don’t know what to do now?? Do I stand there and lie, for the sake of my son? Do I say the words “I trust in Him” but refer to God rather than Jesus? I understand in many religions God and Jesus are supposed to be one and the same, but this is not what I believe.

I’m lost and I just don’t know what to do for the best. I don’t want to let my son down, nor the Godparents or guests… or my husband.

Please help.

Thank you,
Laura.

Hi,

As a non-Catholic, you are not required to answer any questions during the baptism ceremony. The responsibility for teaching the child the Catholic faith lies with the Catholic parent.

You will be in my prayers. Believing in Jesus is the greatest gift I know of for a person to have.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.